Mistrial For The Officer Accused of Murder In The Freddie Gray Case

CAA_Beat

Reaction score
Handicap

I'm a bit concerned about the reaction this will bring in Baltimore again

Let the riots begin.

I'm sure a few worthless people are already on their way to ensure the city will burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mistrial doesn't mean he was acquitted. My understanding, mainly from watching Suits and Boston Legal, he will be retried.

Watching the talking heads now and it is already starting with some protest, it will be an ugly night most likely.

A mistrial doesn't mean he was acquitted. My understanding, mainly from watching Suits and Boston Legal, he will be retried.
That may be, but I know Adam Schiff would give Jack McCoy hell:D

Watching the talking heads now and it is already starting with some protest, it will be an ugly night most likely.
When they broke out in the spring, I had to drive through there every day on the way to Johns Hopkins Hospital. Glad we don't have to be going that way this week.

Hate to say this, but I will be interested to see what happens when the white police officers get tried - I have a feeling you won't see a hung jury there. That would get ugly quick, and everyone knows it.

And the prosecution wins like 99.99999999% percent of the time on retrial. Real life, not tv.

By the looks of things so far it will escalate as it gets later in the day, but it also looks like the Police are expecting it. Maybe the Mayor won't tell them to back down this time and let the City burn.

My wife & daughter were heading to the city tonight to see all the lights, etc in Hampden. I nixed that real quick.

Just watching a few moments of it on the TV in the lobby. Doesn't look too bad yet, but it's been less than 30 minutes or so since it was announced. They are going to set a new trial date tomorrow. Somehow I don't think that will placate the masses.

i am not surprised. the jury had a difficult time on first full day of deliberations and asked for several items to help them further deliberate. Based on what has been presented in the media regarding the trials and the events surrounding the death to include the city bringing these charges against the cops there was going to be a lack of evidence and the ability to convince a jury to convict.

i believe with a mistrial the prosecutor can bring the case before another jury again, but there might be some limitations when it comes to criminal cases and double jeopardy.

Some of the TV shots that are being shown, it looks like more reporters than protesters just yet

i am not surprised. the jury had a difficult time on first full day of deliberations and asked for several items to help them further deliberate. Based on what has been presented in the media regarding the trials and the events surrounding the death to include the city bringing these charges against the cops there was going to be a lack of evidence and the ability to convince a jury to convict.

i believe with a mistrial the prosecutor can bring the case before another jury again, but there might be some limitations when it comes to criminal cases and double jeopardy.
True on the jury. Although I think double jeopardy only applies to a not guility verdict, not a mistrial. I'm sure SethATL or PGG can say for sure.

As I understand, local officials will be meeting to determine if they want to re-try. I would assume that the last thing they would want would be another hung jury. A contributing factor seems to be that it is anticipated that Officer Porter would be a witness at the trial of other police officers. Let's put the civilized residents and citizens of Baltimore in our thoughts and prayers. Lord knows, what is going to happen. Hopefully, whatever is going to happen, happens by Sunday, aren't the Ravens playing at home. Recalled that Oriole fans were told not to leave the stadium.

And the prosecution wins like 99.99999999% percent of the time on retrial. Real life, not tv.

But what percentage goes to trial a second time? Not that much in my very limited experience.

True on the jury. Although I think double jeopardy only applies to a not guility verdict, not a mistrial. I'm sure SethATL or PGG can say for sure.

It doesn't sound like it could happen all the time but there are instances where it may apply...probably depends on how good the defense lawyer is and from what I read how the judge handles the proceedings once jury deliberations start

Back