Well, that was fun...

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Just spend 11:27 on the phone with a telemarketer/scammer (I'm not sure which one and I basically consider them all the same at this point).

He was telling me about car insurance rates dropping 35% (really? That's news to me, but it could be because I just added a 17 year old and another car to my policy) and wanted more information from me to call me back with better rates. I told him I had a 1966 Mustang, my name was Eldrick Woods, and for my address I gave him the Windermere, FL Police Department's address. At the end, he wanted my birthdate so I told him it was Nov 19, 1922.

I really have to get better at this stuff. I have wasted up to 30 minutes of their time before. To only use roughly 11.5 minutes is like taking a triple bogey on a short par 3.

This is how you handle a call from a telemarketer

[video=youtube;-7OgWcwgB50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50[/video]

Mabe is hilarious! I didn't go quite that far, but I did tell a scammer once that I (pretending to be my son) was dead and when he told me he was sorry to hear that, I told him he wasn't and all he wanted was my dad's (my) money!

This one is good, too. It's no Mabe, but it's hilarious how long this guy keeps the idiot on the line.

[video=youtube;z9w-wzXJBww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9w-wzXJBww[/video]

When my daughter was 3 and loved to talk on the phone I would hand her the phone.

I mess with every one of those idiots when I have the time.

I considered it a crowning achievement the day a telemarketer cussed me out for wasting his time. It just felt like the ultimate statement of irony.

I like to waste the time of the IRS scammers, and the folks who call to tell me my computer is infected and I need to give them access remotely so they can fix it. I figure if I can waste ten to fifteen (or more) minutes of their time, that is less time they can find a mark who is willing to work with them.

I like to waste the time of the IRS scammers, and the folks who call to tell me my computer is infected and I need to give them access remotely so they can fix it. I figure if I can waste ten to fifteen (or more) minutes of their time, that is less time they can find a mark who is willing to work with them.

419 eaters. A group of people who used to (still?) actively try to get hit by assorted scammers and then just eat the scammers time without giving them anything useful. They had a pretty good collection of funny pictures sent to them by the scammers.

http://www.419eater.com

I like asking who they are looking for (if they know the name) and then telling them to hold on so I can get them. I'll put the phone down and continue with what I was doing and check the phone to see how long they wait before hanging up. Usually 20-30 seconds does the trick sometimes longer.

I use the Jolly Roger telephone Company. You text a specific number and it calls you back with a bot that you merge with the scammer. Its great and very effective.

That reminds me of the time I almost sold 20 widgets and 10 thingamabobs to some telemarketer. I must've talked for like 20 minutes explaining how great the widgets were for keeping kids quiet in the back seat on long trips and to keep your wife quiet while you're watching a game on TV and don't wanna be bothered!

I loved it every time I got to use the "But wait! That's not all!" line!

I use the Jolly Roger telephone Company. You text a specific number and it calls you back with a bot that you merge with the scammer. Its great and very effective.

Just listened to a couple of their demos. That's classic. Do you pay for that service?

Just listened to a couple of their demos. That's classic. Do you pay for that service?

Yes, but I got it very early in their roll out so I basically bought a pool of minutes. I am not on their monthly plan.

This one is my favorite and I have used it several times. One time I actually had a telemarketer give me their home phone number, not that I ever called back.

This one is my favorite and I have used it several times. One time I actually had a telemarketer give me their home phone number, not that I ever called back.

Yep, been there, done that. I actually had to explain to one of them how it was rude of them to call at dinner time and I'd like to call to interrupt their time with their family.

I went through a phase of getting calls from a loan company when I first activated my phone over here. 3 or 4 calls a day!!! Eventually I took the call and played along with them. They were glad to tell me I qualified for a loan up to $50k. Great. When they asked how much I wanted, in my best Dr Evil voice, I told them 1 million dollars. The guy was shocked, and asked again how much I wanted. Again, I said 1 million dollars. When he asked why I needed so much, I of course told him I needed it to fund a laser I was naming the Alan Parsons Project. I kept him on the line for a good 15 minutes. Never got my million though.

#FiberLaunch

I went through a phase of getting calls from a loan company when I first activated my phone over here. 3 or 4 calls a day!!! Eventually I took the call and played along with them. They were glad to tell me I qualified for a loan up to $50k. Great. When they asked how much I wanted, in my best Dr Evil voice, I told them 1 million dollars. The guy was shocked, and asked again how much I wanted. Again, I said 1 million dollars. When he asked why I needed so much, I of course told him I needed it to fund a laser I was naming the Alan Parsons Project. I kept him on the line for a good 15 minutes. Never got my million though.

#FiberLaunch

one million dollars is only a small loan these days

Back