Question for THP editors reviewing products

Play what you enjoy dude, in the end, thats all that matters.
Oh definitely, and I loooovvvvveeee my bag right now (from the irons down at least) ... but how do I know I wouldn't enjoy a Callaway club if I haven't played them? I've got to make an effort to at least dip my toe into the Callaway pool this year.

prior to thp, I gamed one driver from the ft series and hated it. after thp I gave cally another chance, and I'm thoroughly impressed. then again, because of thp I also checked out cobra and Bridgestone and have been super impressed too! just goes to show how much great gear is out there.
I hear ya. It's getting tougher and tougher to settle on specific gear because we're exposed to so much stuff it's like "I've got to try this!" and then "Oh, that's something I neeeeed in my bag, yesterday!" I'm trying to figure out where I want to go with the driver slot, but there are so many great options ... I'm really at a loss as to what to put there. I blame THP. :silly:

In the end, it's a great problem to have. Definitely not complaining, and part of the fun is just contemplating what direction my bag is going to go in 2016 (I know the wife is hoping it treads water this year, though she does keep asking me what kind of driver I want ... so there's hope!)

I have a hard time believing Callaway makes the best of everything.

Just now seeing this. I'll counter with this: I have a hard time believing Callaway isn't at the forefront of clubmaking.

If I have learned anything about clubs during my time as a staff writer on THP, it's a very clear understanding that there is little to no reason to rank clubs. One sound may be a 1 to me and a 10 to you. One forgiving element could be a 3 to me and an 8 to you. It's not about that and never will be about that in how we approach our reviews... And thank whatever you pray to for that.

There are some companies who are out there doing it right, and making fantastic clubs. Callaway is one of quite a few manufacturers that could produce an entire 14 club set that I could game for years on end and not genuinely feel like I am losing out on something. That these other gentlemen are going to represent the gift that is the Grandaddy and a wonderful partnership with Callaway should not be criticized. I think it's honourable.

I'm ashamed to admit it but outside of an Odyssey putter, I've never bagged a Callaway club in my time playing. Maybe I need to make an effort to get something Callaway in my bag at some point in early 2016. Maybe in the hybrid or fairway slot (seriously pondering the Divine Nine) ...

My bag always seems to have a slew of OEM's in it. Hell at one point this year it had Nike, Callaway, Bridgestone, TaylorMade, Cleveland, Titleist.

Dan is clearly DQ'd for his fairway wood answer:alien: But gosh darn it I love the detailed response

Well, I made a play for an 816 fairway but some fancy pants had to be all nice and give it to his dad... hahahaha

prior to thp, I gamed one driver from the ft series and hated it. after thp I gave cally another chance, and I'm thoroughly impressed. then again, because of thp I also checked out cobra and Bridgestone and have been super impressed too! just goes to show how much great gear is out there.

I was in the same boat. I absolutely hated Callaway until their Razr Fit release. They made obvious moves and improvements in their R&D, and I've now gamed a Callaway for three straight generations, seeing marginal improvements in each setup (2014 Alpha, 815 DBD, 816 DBD).

My bag always seems to have a slew of OEM's in it. Hell at one point this year it had Nike, Callaway, Bridgestone, TaylorMade, Cleveland, Titleist.

same here for me

I have a hard time believing Callaway makes the best of everything.

It's a subjective thing dude. Like JB said its part of the selection is emotional. Which makes golf such a personal game. However if this was an attempt at a dig I think we're all better than that.

It's a subjective thing dude. Like JB said its part of the selection is emotional. Which makes golf such a personal game. However if this was an attempt at a dig I think we're all better than that.

Some are, some aren't. Time has proven otherwise, and it's too bad.

What about grips? Do you guys get to try out a ton, or do most of the clubs come with tour velvet or similar style grips? When you test stuff do you just get sent what the manufacturer sends or do you get asked grip size preference? Either way, do you find yourself re-gripping to your preferred grip for testing?

And with all those questions, has any of it influenced your personal grip make/model/size, and why?

What about grips? Do you guys get to try out a ton, or do most of the clubs come with tour velvet or similar style grips? When you test stuff do you just get sent what the manufacturer sends or do you get asked grip size preference? Either way, do you find yourself re-gripping to your preferred grip for testing?

And with all those questions, has any of it influenced your personal grip make/model/size, and why?

We see a decent variety, absolutely. While some companies stick to the typical 'velvet' design, my last few sets included the ever functional MultiCompound and the UTX which are both excellent options. For the review period, 99% of the time I'll play the club as intended and that includes grip.

That said, I found the Lamkin i-Lines last year and flat out adore them. I've got probably 40 in my basement with another 13 on the way thanks to the great deals at Lamkin. I still haven't spent any time with the Golf Pride MCC Plus4 which i really need to do soon.

I still haven't spent any time with the Golf Pride MCC Plus4 which i really need to do soon.

They're a solid grip.

I really like them. I would like to try them in midsize, because I like midsize grips. I just don't like the gray colored grip they chose for the midsize.

Most new grip models get reviewed on the THP home page. Especially when done by Lamkin, SuperStroke or GolfPride.

I really like them. I would like to try them in midsize, because I like midsize grips. I just don't like the gray colored grip they chose for the midsize.

Any reason why you couldn't just load them up with wraps?

I usually do three wraps and it adds a nice bit of bulk under my i-Lines.

Yeah a couple extra color choices would be great.

Like Dan said, we see a variety. I always test stock grips because its what 99% will be playing when they pick up a new club/set, so it only makes sense to me. Sometimes we get preference, most times its stock though.

Yeah a couple extra color choices would be great.

You guys should post this stuff in their respective threads if you haven't already.. You'd be absolutely shocked to find out just how many of these companies review threads on THP for feedback on their products.

Me too bud. Right now it's holding Nike, TM, Callaway, Bridgestone, Srixon, and Piretti (although admittedly it's got 15 clubs right now lol)

You guys should post this stuff in their respective threads if you haven't already.. You'd be absolutely shocked to find out just how many of these companies review threads on THP for feedback on their products.

I need to post in the SuperStroke threads then. I love their grips, but hate that they put white on all the grips that I like. Give me the midnight series in any model (SS2R) and I'd be very happy with them.

Any reason why you couldn't just load them up with wraps?

I usually do three wraps and it adds a nice bit of bulk under my i-Lines.

I guess I could, I've just always thought that it would still be different since you are stretching/thinning out the material by adding layers of tape versus buying the bigger size grip. Though I haven't tested this to know if I could even tell the difference between a standard built up to midsize or a stock midsize.

Most new grip models get reviewed on the THP home page. Especially when done by Lamkin, SuperStroke or GolfPride.

I was thinking about this, but also about how the clubs come to the reviewers and what options they did/didn't have.

DSC_0646-L.jpg

No surprise there!

Back