Misleading Info from an OEM? Your Thoughts

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
So with Speiths win yesterday came the promo email from Titleist that he won with a bag of clubs. Here is promo image included in it:

1NBH3AE.png

It shows a 915 driver, 716 AP2 irons and Titleist ball. in his "WITB" they list the following:

WHAT’S IN JORDAN SPIETH'S BAG
Golf Ball: Pro V1x
Driver: Titleist 915D2 (9.5º) w/Aldila Rogue Black 60 TX shaft
Fairway: Titleist 915F (15º) w/Graphite Design Tour AD DI7 X shaft
Utility Iron: Titleist 712U (3) w/Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105 shaft
Irons: Titleist AP2 (4-9) w/True Temper PX 6.0 shafts
Wedges: Vokey Design SM6 prototype 46.08 F-grind w/True Temper PX 6.0 shafts
Vokey Design SM6 prototype 52.08 F-grind
Vokey Design SM6 prototype 56.10 S-grind
Vokey Design SM6 prototype 60.04 L-grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron 009 prototype

Interesting that in the iron category they just list AP2 with no number designator. Now, Spieth plays the 714 AP2, not the new model as he has stated he preferred the older model. Is this deceptive to you or is it no big deal? Thoughts?

No biggie to me, just clever wording/photo selection.

He's still playing Titleist so I don't see it as much of a big deal.

I think it's deceptive to a point, and not surprised at all by this sponsor.

Doesn't bother me. Technically they never said he was playing what is pictured.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's a little misleading because the pic has the 716. However I couldn't care less about it.

No big deal

deceptive, yes, in a way. Do I see anything wrong with it? no.

Because I know differently, its no big deal. I understand what they have done by omitting certain information, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

JM

I don't put too much into golf ads when it shows players and clubs knowing full well that the player's clubs are not the exact same as we buy off the rack. Since Titletist only specifically mentioning winning with the ProVx1 I am okay with it, but its one of the closer one's I've seen toeing the line of being deceptive.

They pretty much all play whoever pays them, so does it really matter?

Not a big deal to me at all.

No big deal to me. The pro's change clubs in and out all the time. Every major OEM does the same thing.

i think this is deceptive advertising. and it's a little weaksauce to do it this way. they could easily focus on how they are proud that jordan is on team titleist, blah blah blah. but showing the 716 when he is not playing the 716 is wrong. does it affect my daily life? absolutely not.

No problem with it. Since they didn't designate a specific iteration of the AP2 I don't see a problem with it.

No big deal. I see it as the same as a player having a headcover for a club they don't play.

Intentionally deceptive/misleading....but not a big deal. Not as deceptive as a Bridgestone cover on a TM Burner driver IMO.

Agree with "clever" wording as well.

kinda sneaky but no biggy

Not a big deal to me. I don't see it as any different than Callaway showing one of their tour pros hitting the XR irons in a commercial.

Intentionally deceptive/misleading....but not a big deal. Not as deceptive as a Bridgestone cover on a TM Burner driver IMO.

Agree with "clever" wording as well.

Do they do that in ads?

Deceptive? Definitely. Does it bother me? No, but can definitely understand if it bothers some. Would be a pretty simple fix to just put the 916F he is gaming but oh well.

Intentionally deceptive. But that doesn't bother me.

I don't have a problem with the verbiage. I do think the image of the driver and irons from this release is misleading, but I don't feel very much about it either way.

I have no problem with it. It doesnt say anything false, just shows the picture of their latest gear.

Do they do that in ads?

No....but Sneds on TV is a walking advertisement IMO.

If not considered an ad then why does Bridgestone do it? Or is this Sneds doing it on his own?

Back