What Should I have done here?

Man that's a tough one. Maybe you could have turned around, stood in the bunker and hit it backwards out of it?

I've seen guys on TV do this before. Either way that's unfortunate.

I don't know if I would have done differently than you did to be honest. I would have just tried to get the ball out of there and probably get it down into the bunker like you did on your second attempt. You really only cost yourself one stroke. Who knows if you would have gotten up and down had you taken an unplayable. It still took 5 to get down after you got the ball down into a reasonable lie in the bunker.

Unplayable would have been the smart play. But, to be honest, I would have done the same as you and tried to hack it out.

Yikes, that's ugly. Take the unplayable, drop it, get up and down for bogey.

Another vote for taking an unplayable... And I've done exactly this myself, in a tournament, with a ball nearly plugged near a bunker lip. Was the most difficult course management decision I've ever made, being right next to the green.

I would have played it from standing in the bunker to the left hoping for the best or taken an unplayable. Looks like footing wasn't established very well. I see this a lot with some of the guys I play with (not meant as an insult) but your approach was rushed and not thought thru. Or enough time taken to find the best option. Kind of the screw it approach and give her a whack.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I probably wouldn't have thoughout about taking an unplayable either in that situation, although that's the smartest route. I would have stood inside the bunker and aimed away from the hole, only trying to knock the ball back down to the middle of the bunker or maybe out onto the rough beside the bunker. Basically, whatever stance would allow me to get a club closest to the back of the ball without bringing the lip of the bunker into play would have been how I would have played the shot.
I have seen you do this very thing. Twice in the same round I think!

i dont know about the unplayable lie option so i would not have done that. im not as coordinated as you so i would not have done what you did, so....i attempt to smash the ball back the other direction or take it out with my hands and throw it where i can hit and pretend it did not happen. lol

i dont know about the unplayable lie option so i would not have done that. im not as coordinated as you so i would not have done what you did, so....i attempt to smash the ball back the other direction or take it out with my hands and throw it where i can hit and pretend it did not happen. lol

Haha love the 3rd option

I think the answer to this is not hit into that bunker in the first place...

But I'll join the folks who suggested the unplayable.

I'm not smart enough to have considered the unplayable, so I probably would have done my best to go sideways, or the least amount backwards in order to have a better shot. If there's anything I've learned so far, it's to almost always play the safe shot. Adding an extra stroke to a hole is better than adding 3 (or more).

My biggest worry with that shot might be it rolling back into my footprints. As long as you don't get too greedy you can get the ball out, maybe not out of the bunker, but out to make it playable.

When you're having a good round it's easy to think you can pull off the hero shot, but the best option is take your medicine and take an unplayable. Minimize the damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My playing partner yesterday had the same exact type of lie, plugged under the lip. He tried to knock it out and actually buried it even deeper. He then proceeded to take the unplayable and move on.

I would've done the same as you because I didn't know about taking an unplayable ball in that situation.

If I remember I will have someone video me trying this shot at Roses Run on Saturday.

Back