Any good tips or drills for wrist position at top of swing?

clarkgriswold

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
Been trying to focus on squaring my face better at impact and a friend on mine was taking about adjusting my wrist/hands better at the top of the swing. Also been dealing with the club twisting on the downswing. Watched a few videos and it seemed to help quite a bit at the range. Anyone have some good tips or drills to focus on improving this?

Your grip dictates your wrist position throughout the entire swing. So looking for tips for the tip of your swing wouldn’t be prudent.

Your grip dictates your wrist position throughout the entire swing. So looking for tips for the tip of your swing wouldn’t be prudent.
Can you dive into this a bit more Freddie? Could be some useful info in that for many here with similar issues.

Can you dive into this a bit more Freddie? Could be some useful info in that for many here with similar issues.

For sure. Things like how one takes the club away on the start of the backswing and it’s influence on the wrist

could certainly be helpful. I know I'd be interested.

I’ll take a video of my swing and do the opposite, you’ll be a single digit hcap in no time.

I’ve been working on the grip and takeaway lately and has been helping. Using a slightly strong grip but wrists are bowing out at the top and trying to focus on a flat plane abd even exaggerating it past flat like DJ. Although not expecting his results ;)

If your left thumb is right down the top of the shaft when you grip it (correct placement) and your grip pressure is right (soft) then you should just feel the weight of the head push directly into your left thumb when you get all the way back. If the weight is under your left thumb at the top of the swing you have the clubface too closed and if the weight is over your left thumb then it’s too open at the top of your swing. That’s a real simple way to make sure you got it right.

Yeah, I was driving back from one of my offices and lost signal

In a perfect world if you took you grip from address to the top of your swing, just over the rear shoulder, it would be a mirror image. Flat left wrist, support I’ve right hand as the elbow is pointed downward. And from here you would swing the arms and rotate the body hard left to get back to square.

But we live in a world where the grip remains the same but the left wrist either pronates (twist down) or supinates (twist upward) once the swing starts. This action directly affects the club face and requires a solid release to get back to square.

Couple this with arm swings, lack of lower body movement, flat, OTT swing paths and you have a variety of shots.

I used to use a brace on the left wrist of my students. This taught them to use the shoulders and arms to get the club into position vs the wrist. It helped to shorten back swings, promote deeper turns and good weight shift.

Good stuff Freddie.

Quickly goes and finds the wrist brace in my closet.....

I always keep an old credit card or hotel key in my golf bag. At the range I put it halfway in my golf glove and can feel it dig into my wrist if my wrist gets bent too far back on the backswing.

Make sure is keeps the back of your wrist flat.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when there are two knuckles showing at address this is not a flat left wrist to the target is it? Maybe I just have the wrong self-concept about where my left wrist is pointing, but the back of the glove seems to be pointing to the right (RH golfer) of the target line at address when I can see 2 knuckles. This is something I struggle with big time as I seem to hook the ball whenever I can see 2 knuckles, but I am trying to recover from flipping too. Thanks for your insight!

Correct me if I am wrong, but when there are two knuckles showing at address this is not a flat left wrist to the target is it? Maybe I just have the wrong self-concept about where my left wrist is pointing, but the back of the glove seems to be pointing to the right (RH golfer) of the target line at address when I can see 2 knuckles. This is something I struggle with big time as I seem to hook the ball whenever I can see 2 knuckles, but I am trying to recover from flipping too. Thanks for your insight!

You are correct, it’s not at the target but for that split second that it is, it’s pointed at the target. The strong left hand grip rolls with the forearms through impact. The flat wrist at the target is only one of many positions the rotating wrist is in through the impact zone. A flat wrist at the target is actually seeing the toe of the club turning down and left.

A good friend of mine sets up with a three knuckle grip and an open face. This way when his wrist is flat at the target, the face is square relative to his target line. He plays a beautiful 5-10 yard draw for as long as I’ve know him (22 years).

You are correct, it’s not at the target but for that split second that it is, it’s pointed at the target. The strong left hand grip rolls with the forearms through impact. The flat wrist at the target is only one of many positions the rotating wrist is in through the impact zone. A flat wrist at the target is actually seeing the toe of the club turning down and left.

A good friend of mine sets up with a three knuckle grip and an open face. This way when his wrist is flat at the target, the face is square relative to his target line. He plays a beautiful 5-10 yard draw for as long as I’ve know him (22 years).

Thanks - this helps. I am at that point where my swing plane is getting better and I am much more connected, but am getting lousy shots at times due to bad habits with my hand release and grip. My divots can be inside to out but the ball starts at the target and turns hard left - producing towering high hooks. A real head scratcher to figure out.

Thanks for the feedback on this one. Definitely something I need to continue to work on.

Thanks - this helps. I am at that point where my swing plane is getting better and I am much more connected, but am getting lousy shots at times due to bad habits with my hand release and grip. My divots can be inside to out but the ball starts at the target and turns hard left - producing towering high hooks. A real head scratcher to figure out.

Little secret about divots from the best in the world. Their divots have the appearance of moving left. They start square and move left. Why? Because that is the path a club that is on plane.

3540528499b0b22c16eb2736bf1a4a87.jpg

5d3d22732277a91e430c599515b2b082.png

Patrick does a great job of clearing his left side which allows his to release down the target line and square the face of the club.
His club head met the ball square and started to move left on its natural plane. He left wrist is flat, toe turning left so his divot will be square at impact and gradually move left or it’ll be a square impact and square exit, it all depends on how low you keep your hands through impact.

The old coathanger drill. It’s gold for proper wrist action. It should maintain contact with your left (lead) forearm throughout the swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back