Golf fitting questions?

buttputt

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have been playing more and more with friends over the past few years (I'm 25) and even going on trips all over the country. I love it, but my clubs are all hand-me-downs and very much not right for me and I'm convinced they're holding me back. I have Rawlings irons that were my Dad's (I'm 3-4 inches taller), graphite shafts (I'm 215, 6'3"), and a hodgepodge of drivers, hybrids, and wedges from other people.
So it's time for new clubs I think. Everyone says I should get fitted, and I'm on board. I think it will make a huge difference and there is a guy in my city that has amazing reviews (Golf Digest Top 100 Fitters). Only thing is I have to plan this pretty well in advance. I'm expecting to have to spend $1200-$1500 for an entirely new set.
These are some questions I'm hoping you guys/gals can help me with:

1. Is this price in the right ballpark?
  2. I heard that the best way to get a good price is to buy used or a year-old model because they are generally the same quality - would I be able to do that if I'm buying through the fitter? How would that work?
  3. I'm looking at the end of August for getting the fitting. Are labor day sales a thing? Even if they are, would I get that through a fitter?
  4. What should I know about the fitting process before I go in?
  5. Similarly, what should I know about the current products out there before I go in. My buddy that's an amateur said go either TM or Callaway for the Driver but irons are all about what feels best for you. Think that's legit?
  6. I'm not getting fitted for a putter. Is that a ok? Same friend told me putters are really all about feel so fitting isn't really necessary.
  7. Are there any other questions I should be asking/anything else I should explore?
For reference, I usually shoot high 80s to mid 90s (although 100s have happened here and there). 87 is my best this year.
Thanks all.

Go in with an open mind & make your decision as you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Is this price in the right ballpark?You should be able to put a decent set together for that. You could easily spend much more, but that's doable, I'd think.
  2. I heard that the best way to get a good price is to buy used or a year-old model because they are generally the same quality - would I be able to do that if I'm buying through the fitter? How would that work?That's going to depend on the fitter. I'd say probably not if he's dealing with only the big name OEMs. If you found someone that deals with quality components, then you could very easily make it happen.
  3. I'm looking at the end of August for getting the fitting. Are labor day sales a thing? Even if they are, would I get that through a fitter?I dunno if many places really have big Labor Day sales. Again, this is gonna depend on the individual fitter.
  4. What should I know about the fitting process before I go in? What do you want to know? There's a whole section of the forum dedicated to clubmaking. The subject is like an iceberg. You can take just the tip or the whole thing. [Yeah, I know, that's what she said...]
  5. Similarly, what should I know about the current products out there before I go in. My buddy that's an amateur said go either TM or Callaway for the Driver but irons are all about what feels best for you. Think that's legit?TaylorMade and Callaway both have excellent drivers for beginners. Don't hesitate to look at Ping and Cobra, too, amongst others.
  6. I'm not getting fitted for a putter. Is that a ok? Same friend told me putters are really all about feel so fitting isn't really necessary.Putting is very much feel related, but putter fitting can provide great gains (or better yet losses).
  7. Are there any other questions I should be asking/anything else I should explore? Yes. Ask anything that comes to mind. There are no stupid questions for a beginner. You should feel completely comfortable asking the questions and should get serious answers. If not, find a new fitter.

Where are you located?

So I have been playing more and more with friends over the past few years (I'm 25) and even going on trips all over the country. I love it, but my clubs are all hand-me-downs and very much not right for me and I'm convinced they're holding me back. I have Rawlings irons that were my Dad's (I'm 3-4 inches taller), graphite shafts (I'm 215, 6'3"), and a hodgepodge of drivers, hybrids, and wedges from other people.
So it's time for new clubs I think. Everyone says I should get fitted, and I'm on board. I think it will make a huge difference and there is a guy in my city that has amazing reviews (Golf Digest Top 100 Fitters). Only thing is I have to plan this pretty well in advance. I'm expecting to have to spend $1200-$1500 for an entirely new set.
These are some questions I'm hoping you guys/gals can help me with:

1. Is this price in the right ballpark?
  2. I heard that the best way to get a good price is to buy used or a year-old model because they are generally the same quality - would I be able to do that if I'm buying through the fitter? How would that work?
  3. I'm looking at the end of August for getting the fitting. Are labor day sales a thing? Even if they are, would I get that through a fitter?
  4. What should I know about the fitting process before I go in?
  5. Similarly, what should I know about the current products out there before I go in. My buddy that's an amateur said go either TM or Callaway for the Driver but irons are all about what feels best for you. Think that's legit?
  6. I'm not getting fitted for a putter. Is that a ok? Same friend told me putters are really all about feel so fitting isn't really necessary.
  7. Are there any other questions I should be asking/anything else I should explore?
For reference, I usually shoot high 80s to mid 90s (although 100s have happened here and there). 87 is my best this year.
Thanks all.

My opinion is different from most, but here it is.........
First, use the online iron fitting tool at www.pinggolf.com . This will give you a recommended iron length and lie angle (based on your height and wrist-to-floor) measurements. While this "static fit" method of fitting is something most people consider to be only a "starting point" in the fit process, I believe it provides specs that promote a fundamentally sound address posture and swing.
At 6'3" your recommended iron specs are likely to be .5" over Ping's standard length, with probably a recommended lie angle of 1* to 2* upright.
ebay will have a dozen listings for sale with your recommended Ping specs, at prices ranges of $200 to $500.
I suggest buying an iron set for about $300-$400, visiting the practice driving range often. At the range get to know the local teaching pro and plan to pay him/her $200 for a few lessons. He/she will provide guidance for your swing development, and also give you some ideas about what type driver-fairway-hybrid-putter clubs you might want to add to your iron set.
I am a big proponent of golf technique instruction and practice, which I think leads to much better play and enjoyment of the game than does the dynamic fitting process.

Let me try and help you with number 1:
Is it possible to get in that ballpark: yes, it may be a little difficult in some cases though.
Not sure what kind of player you are but lets say that you decide to go with a set of.. Pings.
G400 the slightly older model will run you about $100 a club with a decent choice of steel shafts to choose from.
The G700 newer model has a few other shaft options that are available at no upcharge, and you are going to be looking about $163 per club.
Assuming you get a 4-gap (which i would say is needed now,with the lofts on a typical pitching wedge. 800 to 900 for the g400s and 1200-1300 for g700.

with 800 to 900 you have about 700 left to work with. Which should get you a good custom driver with some solid shaft options.
If your fitter is a mom and pop type fitter, not associated with a company that is.. he may have some used options for you, or older options. Ping G Driver and woods are still great in my opinion and much of the same tech is used.

But the big thing is keep an open mind, and hopefully the fitter will give you the "money is no problem option" and the "I am on a fixed income but what do you have that is close" versions.

Thanks all.

To provide some context, I'm definitely open-minded going into this. I'm located in Boston. The guy I'm going to is unaffiliated (as far as I can tell) and has unbelievable reviews. Very data-driven, apparently. I expect this to make a big impact on my game.

Also, price isn't a massive barrier. I really want a set that is perfect for me and somewhat future-proof, but at the same time I'm not trying to get taken for a 3k ride. We'll see. Was really curious if there's any basic fundamental info/market knowledge I should know or have in the back of my head going in.

I'm certainly not an expert (obviously) but I also wouldn't dub myself a beginner. I can hold my own, so I want something that will basically help eradicate the mishits caused by my mismatched clubs. I think the fitter himself will take care of a good bit of this through the data (he's apparently very data-driven).

Thanks again for the help, guys. If anything else comes to mind that might be useful please don't hold back!

Back