Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

Remaking my wedge setup this off-season.. and as I have always gamed Cleveland wedges, will be getting a set of these.. just need to figure out the set make-up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Canadan has been sent a wedge in each grind for review so he will be able to update people on his thoughts on each one very soon.

I am betting they are available for some POSSIBLE practice green time Sunday, but more than likely my round on Tuesday evening.

Looking forward to seeing what the capabilities of the 4 has in store for golfers. I'm really high on my wedge game right now, so it feels like the perfect time to dive in.

Get your questions ready, fam.

I like the finishes on these a lot, and more grind options are good. Cleveland certainly knows wedges, and I’ll be very very surprised if these aren’t performers.

I’m lookin forward to seeing thoughts and more pics of these. I’m intrigued. My RTX3s are fun,

I am betting they are available for some POSSIBLE practice green time Sunday, but more than likely my round on Tuesday evening.

Looking forward to seeing what the capabilities of the 4 has in store for golfers. I'm really high on my wedge game right now, so it feels like the perfect time to dive in.

Get your questions ready, fam.
Which lofts/grinds did you get?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here's a quick look at the various grinds.

46D0A4D7-CC4D-4FF1-AAF0-8D4234C43E59-XL.jpg

BA56C0F7-7B40-4871-8FE0-71CFD4F4AC9B-XL.jpg

DB1BDD84-4849-4D37-8F6A-EB94B3013F85-XL.jpg

and some more features to go with it..

That typical Cleveland groove profile, with a rolled groove on the toe portion which is pretty neat. Angled makes a lot of sense when opening up the face

9143CA9D-6909-4398-9F74-051F55988386-XL.jpg

Visually I feel some sentimental feelings with the slight gloss. I like it a lot.

CBA29869-B899-4906-A84E-52AC120E53EF-XL.jpg

the higher portions of the head are rolled on the backside which I think makes a lot of sense. Can create a smaller top line and allocate weight elsewhere.

8D47E5F8-ACF2-4796-861A-58F899685BB0-XL.jpg

The 60/Full grind looks like it would be a really nice club out of the trap for folks who play it pretty much straight on. Generally that mid grind is where I tend to get fit into, so I'm interested in the feedback on that one. It looks like, compared to some other offerings out there, there's a bit less heel relief there than some of the other offerings, so I'm interested especially in how that plays when you open it up a bit. That's one of the things I feel a lot more comfortable doing with my current wedges than I did with the RTX-3s.

Aesthetically I can't determine if I like these or not. But like anything, I'll wait until I see them in hand.

Got to try them today at a short game clinic. They were very meh for me.

#FiberLaunch

These hit the course tomorrow for some short game practice.
Thoughts after the time on the course today?

Got a chance to test out the 50 and 54 on the practice green today and really enjoyed them. Grass was wet where I am, so will hold some stuff back until I get a second session in with them, but overall I like what I am seeing. I have been a Cleveland wedge user off and on for over 25 years, so watching the iterations over the years has been a very fun project.

The last two versions (3-4) have moved towards a more traditional style with shorter hosel, but the overall shape still brings Cleveland fans home. The sole is 100% different than last year and with that the club head sits lower to the ground, however with the grind, the versatility is better than ever in my opinion. I worked on pitching, chipping and bunker shots today to get a gauge of hand manipulation or club manipulation vs the previous lineup and had none of that, but the club head glided through the area better. This could be because of wet turf, it could be because of the new sole design or it could be a combination of the two. It was enjoyable however.

The 54 out of bunker was excellent. Opening it up or going at it straight gave good confidence and very good results. New grooves led to some ridiculous spin. If these end up in play, I would end up hitting about 50 bunker shots with each wedge to calm that spin down a bit, but most will enjoy the added bump there.

The look of the satin finish is very classic, but the wedge has an industrial appearance to it. I quite like it, as it brings in some of the heritage with some new design ideas. 30 years since the first and I have had a lot of those lines.

Got a chance to test out the 50 and 54 on the practice green today and really enjoyed them. Grass was wet where I am, so will hold some stuff back until I get a second session in with them, but overall I like what I am seeing. I have been a Cleveland wedge user off and on for over 25 years, so watching the iterations over the years has been a very fun project.

The last two versions (3-4) have moved towards a more traditional style with shorter hosel, but the overall shape still brings Cleveland fans home. The sole is 100% different than last year and with that the club head sits lower to the ground, however with the grind, the versatility is better than ever in my opinion. I worked on pitching, chipping and bunker shots today to get a gauge of hand manipulation or club manipulation vs the previous lineup and had none of that, but the club head glided through the area better. This could be because of wet turf, it could be because of the new sole design or it could be a combination of the two. It was enjoyable however.

The 54 out of bunker was excellent. Opening it up or going at it straight gave good confidence and very good results. New grooves led to some ridiculous spin. If these end up in play, I would end up hitting about 50 bunker shots with each wedge to calm that spin down a bit, but most will enjoy the added bump there.

The look of the satin finish is very classic, but the wedge has an industrial appearance to it. I quite like it, as it brings in some of the heritage with some new design ideas. 30 years since the first and I have had a lot of those lines.

Did you have any issues getting used to the new sole? Is it more of a game improvement sole?

Without looking myself...what are the advantages of the different grinds?

My first entry would be at the 50° loft and then more options available for the 54 and 58. I dont do full swings with off set wedges so does it make a difference?

So what grind was the 54 you were using today? I really like the looks of the Low, but I like more bounce in that spot in the bag like the Mid. The 58 is where I think the Low grind would really really shine though!

Did you have any issues getting used to the new sole? Is it more of a game improvement sole?

Not really, I’m still using a 2 dot. I’m a fan of vsole soles, but it does mean the leading edge can be higher. That is one of the reasons for the changes thy made as this is much lower.

Not really, I’m still using a 2 dot. I’m a fan of vsole soles, but it does mean the leading edge can be higher. That is one of the reasons for the changes thy made as this is much lower.

That's really good to hear. Something about a high leading edge doesn't look right to me - even though I know it won't be a problem with the sole design. I just wasn't as consistent with the RTX-3 as I was with previous Cleveland iterations, and I wondered if that was the cause. I know you've been a big fan of the Cleveland wedges historically so looking forward to your continued thoughts on these.

That great to hear. The higher leading edge really made me uncomfortable. It just got in my head for sure. Now I'm really excited about these.

That great to hear. The higher leading edge really made me uncomfortable. It just got in my head for sure. Now I'm really excited about these.

There are so many great options now it’s such a fun time to be a golfer and test wedges.

Without looking myself...what are the advantages of the different grinds?

My first entry would be at the 50° loft and then more options available for the 54 and 58. I dont do full swings with off set wedges so does it make a difference?

Here's some feedback from the Cleveland website;

FULL - The traditional mid-bounce you know and love. Enjoy crisp pitch shots and solid full-shot performance.

•• MID - This V-Shaped Sole cuts smoothly through turf and its trailing edge relief keeps the leading edge low on open face shots.

• LOW - A C-Shape provides heel and toe relief for ultimate versatility from any lie.

XLOW - Our lowest bounce wedge is perfect for tight lies and hitting with an extremely open face.

There are so many great options now it’s such a fun time to be a golfer and test wedges.
The quality, tech and versatility is truly staggering. They might not all fit every game but there are great choices for every player.

While I didn't get many shots with the RTX4 in my round today, I did have an opportunity to have a couple short range sessions with AMart and got the film going to show you what we were experiencing. It was pretty funny to watch Andy (who had one of the wedges in the bag for the first 14 holes) clearly make the switch to a different wedge after these videos... You'll see why.

Great short videos. How is the weight compared to your J15 wedges?

While I didn't get many shots with the RTX4 in my round today, I did have an opportunity to have a couple short range sessions with AMart and got the film going to show you what we were experiencing. It was pretty funny to watch Andy (who had one of the wedges in the bag for the first 14 holes) clearly make the switch to a different wedge after these videos... You'll see why.

Love the looks of these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man they look good. I can't wait to try them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back