5 weeks in, looking to improve

BRISTOL_86

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All

New member here. Been playing for around 5 weeks, have just completed a 4 week beginner course which was OK but didn’t involve a lot of 1-on-1 time with the coach.

I feel like I’ve made good progress in 4 weeks but still have lots to improve on.

One thing I know I was doing very badly was having very little rotation of the hips and lower body, almost staying at address position all the way through the swing. This last week I’ve tried to get the hips involved a lot more, and I feel like I’ve accomplished that in the backswing but it’s falling apart in the downswing, and I end up pretty much back in address position at impact, with the hips only really turning through to target at or post impact.

Based on the below would you say that’s my main issue to address presently? I have no delusions of grandeur right now, I just want to get a decent, repeatable iron swing that will be reasonably consistent and allow me the confidence that I’ll keep a ball in play.

Thanks!

Get into your address position and hold a basket ball between your hands. Try throwing the Bball with just arms and then try throwing it with you arms and body. Pay attention to the distance and direction also which method is easier.

This is very dumbed version of the golf move. All you'll have to do is replace the ball with a club and keep working on matching the arms with the lower body to get max production from what seems like very little effort.

Thanks Freddie. I appreciate that.

Looking at my video is there anything else horrendously wrong anywhere? I don’t want to ingrain bad habits so if anything looks terribly, fundamentally wrong I’d appreciate some pointers.

Thanks again

I think you should concentrate on your posture, stance and grip. These three elements are the bedrock of a solid golf swing.

Knee flex, hip flex, chest out, arm hanging from the shoulders, feet just outside of shoulder width, head up (look at the ball with you eyes not your face). The last one is very much forgotten by golfers. The head should stay up so the shoulders can swing just under your chin.

As you continue to swing and build you golf muscles, you will find that the stance, posture and grip will aid you in your quest to become a descent golfer.

I am far from an expert, and am fairly new myself.

That being said, re: your video.

You can see that you are starting your downswing with your arms from the top. Try concentrating on starting your downswing with the hips first, which will rotate your body and drag your arms with it into the downswing.

My $0.02, FWIW.

I am far from an expert, and am fairly new myself.

That being said, re: your video.

You can see that you are starting your downswing with your arms from the top. Try concentrating on starting your downswing with the hips first, which will rotate your body and drag your arms with it into the downswing.

My $0.02, FWIW.

Yep, that’s exactly what I feel I’m doing. I need to as you say get used to the feeling of initiating that transition with the hips instead

Back