Sean Foley And Back Problems

Blue, I believe that you believe this but athletes in many sports stretch before and/or after they practice or play. Isn't a warm up a form of stretching the muscles..What about yoga which at least for me leaves me feeling relaxed and much more flexible over time. Even when I use my Orange Whip aren't I performing a form of stretching the muscles. One of my kids was a college swimmer and she was stretched daily before and after every practice and lifting session as were her friends in other sports including golf.

Most athletes I've seen do some sort of dynamic warmup though, not static holds. Yoga I think would fit in that class of exercises.

Most guys I see stretching on the tee are doing a bunch of static stretches.

Most athletes I've seen do some sort of dynamic warmup though, not static holds. Yoga I think would fit in that class of exercises.

Most guys I see stretching on the tee are doing a bunch of static stretches.

I am no expert on the subject but she certainly did some static holds as a part of her stretch program.This was on deck at the pool and in the weight room. She just graduated so this is current info.
Back on the subject I agree with those who say Foley is not the cause of some of his players back problems. I don't like his teaching but I cant blame him for this.
Next thing they will say 12 ounce curls are bad for you! :drinks:

I am no expert on the subject but she certainly did some static holds as a part of her stretch program.This was on deck at the pool and in the weight room. She just graduated so this is current info.
Back on the subject I agree with those who say Foley is not the cause of some of his players back problems. I don't like his teaching but I cant blame him for this.
Next thing they will say 12 ounce curls are bad for you! :drinks:

I tend to agree w/ you re: Foley, and I'm guessing without Tiger's injuries it probably wouldn't be as much of a talking point. People aren't pointing to Tiger training with SEAL teams for his back injuries, and that could very well may have been as much a cause.

You read all of the old stories about guys throwing out their back and stretching it in between shots, fighting through the round. I think part of why we think there are more injuries these days are that guys are playing the long game and withdrawing. There are more tournaments, more ways to make money.

Everything I have seen agrees with you, a dynamic warm up is important, static stretching has little impact.
Correct. A good warm-up acclimates the body to the positions it is about to assume. If stretching does anything, it's that.

I feel like this thread has digressed. In closing, my opinion is still that pros hurt their backs because they have weak backs. Also in my opinion, the workouts they do are not very good at getting them strong, the workouts are wastes of time.

I’m not sure Foley is causing/contributing to problems. There are a lot of variables to consider.

Static stretching can cause injury if done prior to strenuous activity. If you are going to do static stretching, do it after physical activity.

And most of the worlds population have weak backs, even the ones that don’t know it.

Blue, I believe that you believe this but athletes in many sports stretch before and/or after they practice or play. Isn't a warm up a form of stretching the muscles..What about yoga which at least for me leaves me feeling relaxed and much more flexible over time. Even when I use my Orange Whip aren't I performing a form of stretching the muscles. One of my kids was a college swimmer and she was stretched daily before and after every practice and lifting session as were her friends in other sports including golf.

The fact is that most muscles do not stretch that much. Additionally, tendons and ligaments do not really stretch at all, they tend to rupture before changing their length. If you think about it, all that stretching does is acclimate the body with the positions it is about to assume. You are not actually changing the length of any muscle belly. All you are doing is assuming the end of the range of motion and holding it. Stretching does a really good job of making a person familiar with their range of motion. That's it.

Additionally, if a golf swing is a dynamic movement, why would a loose or relaxed muscle fiber be a good idea? Loose muscles don't do a good job of changing direction quickly.

Lastly, I don't know if stretching was doing anything for your daughter in her preparation. Humans tend to imitate what we see and athletes tend to take orders from coaches. Many times, we don't ask why.

In the interest of keeping this thread somewhat on point, if anybody would like to have fitness related discussions, go to this thread.

Yes. I have read that abstract of a meta analysis, which is hidden behind a paywall, regarding muscle tendon compliance. Interestingly, I linked an article from the CDC that was released the same year as that abstract. I stand by my point. Static stretching doesn't prevent injuries. Dynamic movement through a range of motion is better. Stretching doesn't actually make tissue longer.

I do not think deep stretching before a round will help prevent injury. When stretching really helps is after a round of golf. That’s when nearly no one stretches. When I Lift I stretch afterwards and never get a stiff back or soreness. I should stretch after golf because the muscles connecting the sides of my torso to my hips are always sore after a round.

My concern with Sean Foley’s swing is that he tries to get people in a position to artificially create lag. His swing is also a very deliberate swing that goes from point a to point b to point c etc, I think that causes undo stress as well.

If I was a golfer with $millions on the line I would never hire him.

Yes. I have read that abstract of a meta analysis, which is hidden behind a paywall, regarding muscle tendon compliance. Interestingly, I linked an article from the CDC that was released the same year as that abstract. I stand by my point. Static stretching doesn't prevent injuries. Dynamic movement through a range of motion is better. Stretching doesn't actually make tissue longer.

I agree 100% here. Playing hockey and golf, the dynamic part of the warm up is what helps to reduce injuries like pulled groins, hamstrings, etc. Static stretching actually puts the muscles into a sleep state, which is why you should be stretching AFTER your game or workout. Dynamic stretching is key. Example, in hockey, we skate around to warm up and doing "bouncing stretches" where we do a specific stretch but bounce the stretch 6-10 times to get the muscles moving and the ligaments to loosen. These are the things you need to get your players doing to keep the muscles and tendons loose enough to give without causing ruptures.

Back