Steph Curry opens with 71 at web.com event

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Steph Curry shot 71 yesterday:

https://twitter.com/WebDotComTour

I would prefer to see athletes like Curry or Tony Romo earn their way into pro golf tournament fields by Monday qualifying.
But if a celebrity gets in on a sponsors exemption it sure looks better when he/she shoots a good score.

He silenced a lot of haters yesterday. What a baller.

Like it -- but as to qualifying, facts are that celebs like Steph and Romo will drive crowds, who come for the celebrity but some will end up appreciating the skill of the true pro golfers -- and they may come back. But at the least, they are spending money and supporting the event.

I will never understand the argument of having these guys qualify. They aren't taking spots away from anyone and drive revenue up.

I love that Steph is able to use his celebrity to get into WEB events. He seems to be having a great time.

Yesterday Steph had what may have been about 1,500 to 2,000 people following his group. Getting people out to the course is good for the game.

I will never understand the argument of having these guys qualify. They aren't taking spots away from anyone and drive revenue up.

I love that Steph is able to use his celebrity to get into WEB events. He seems to be having a great time.

The tournament fields are limited, and sponsors exemptions take one of those limited spots.
Right or wrong, an up and coming web.com Tour pro is not playing this week because Steph received a sponsors exemption.
From a pure golf perspective, if Tony Romo , Steph Curry, or anybody else believes they have a golf game capable of competing with Tour pros, every event does have a Monday qualifier available. Football and basketball teams have tryouts, and Monday qualifiers are golf's version of same.

The tournament fields are limited, and sponsors exemptions take one of those limited spots.
Right or wrong, an up and coming web.com Tour pro is not playing this week because Steph received a sponsors exemption.
From a pure golf perspective, if Tony Romo , Steph Curry, or anybody else believes they have a golf game capable of competing with Tour pros, every event does have a Monday qualifier available. Football and basketball teams have tryouts, and Monday qualifiers are golf's version of same.

They do not take spots away from anyone.

Even if they took a spot from someone, having Curry, Romo, and more recently Jake Owen-- wouldn't that improve the revenue and overall opportunities for WEB players in the future? Give 4-5 spots away per year but add 10, or boost revenue available for those fringe guys. It seems like would be a net positive. I know they aren't taking spots, but since that's what all the whining is about, may as well consider the potential outcome of that scenario.

It's impressive to say the least, and it would be awesome if he made the cut! He seems to be having a blast out there, which is cool to watch. And the fact he's a scratch golfer in addition to being one of the best basketball players in the league is almost unfair, haha!

They do not take spots away from anyone.

Sorry I do not understand your point.
The web.com event at Stonebrae started with a full field of 156 players (threesomes off holes 1 and 10), including 12 players who made it through a 195 player two course Monday qualifying event.
At the qualifying sites there were playoffs and alternate positions established. So, this web.com event started with a full field as well as alternates ready to play if a spot became available.

See post #3. It's not always about the players - it's about whether that tournament will remain - every dollar a celebrity brings in, contributes to the continuity of the tourney.

Sorry I do not understand your point.
The web.com event at Stonebrae started with a full field of 156 players (threesomes off holes 1 and 10), including 12 players who made it through a 195 player two course Monday qualifying event.
At the qualifying sites there were playoffs and alternate positions established. So, this web.com event started with a full field as well as alternates ready to play if a spot became available.

You forgot about the sponsor exemptions, who can be filled by the sponsor at their discretion. You know, because they're the sponsor. If any fringe tour players are complaining about how a sponsor uses their exemptions, they should probably consider what would happen if it wasn't for that sponsor.

See post #3. It's not always about the players - it's about whether that tournament will remain - every dollar a celebrity brings in, contributes to the continuity of the tourney.

Sponsor exemptions are given to title sponsor to dole out as they please. They can keep them or pass them out as they see fit. They are not guaranteed spot for ‘joe pro’ hoping to get a spot. So steph’s spot didn’t cut any pro from getting in.

The idea that SE spot are for pros in just false.

Guy is an athlete can't knock him. As basketball player I am a fan of him and the Warriors. Always support them. Saw the special on golf channel about his golf game was not surprised. Solid game and swung. Many people on Ig commenting he shouldn't be there but the results of his first round are facts.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

I fully understand the reasons for giving sponsors exemptions, and there are some good ones, including creating interest in the tournament, ticket sales etc....
But from a pure golf perspective I think it would be more impressive for guys like Romo or Curry to gain entry to a Tour event by making it through the Monday qualifier.

And just like that back to reality. 46 on the front 9 today.

And just like that back to reality. 46 on the front 9 today.

Yep! Put up 3, 3’s on the third hole. Back to reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steph being a golfer makes me like him more as a basketball player. I also think he shot 1 under par at Pebble Beach.

I fully understand the reasons for giving sponsors exemptions, and there are some good ones, including creating interest in the tournament, ticket sales etc....
But from a pure golf perspective I think it would be more impressive for guys like Romo or Curry to gain entry to a Tour event by making it through the Monday qualifier.

They would actually have to go through pre qualifying first.

Sure it would be more impressive if they qualified on their own, but it doesn’t help the sponsor if Curry/Romo/whoever doesn’t make it into the event.

Finished Dad last after shooting 86 in round two. I’m still curious to know if there’s a way to tell how much influence he has in the game other than increasing gate count for the event. Increased attendance is good for the sponsor and event but is thee anything quantitative for when he or Romo or any other athlete plays in a tour event.

I would think something like the celebrity tournament has a bigger impact on potential growth of the game

Finished Dad last after shooting 86 in round two. I’m still curious to know if there’s a way to tell how much influence he has in the game other than increasing gate count for the event. Increased attendance is good for the sponsor and event but is thee anything quantitative for when he or Romo or any other athlete plays in a tour event.

I would think something like the celebrity tournament has a bigger impact on potential growth of the game

I would be willing to bet that there’s a small effect on growing the game, but the majority of the benefit comes to the sponsor for gate count. Especially something like the web.com tour events where there’s not a huge amount of attendees.

Now if those basketball fans go to see Steph Curry and have a great time they may go back next year even if he’s not playing and that may eventually lead to them picking up the game, however, that’s not what the event sponsor cares about right? They just want people buying merch and food/drinks at the event.

I would agree that the other type of fun events: AT&T pro-am, celebrity events etc, all have a bigger impact on growing the game.

I would be willing to bet that there’s a small effect on growing the game, but the majority of the benefit comes to the sponsor for gate count. Especially something like the web.com tour events where there’s not a huge amount of attendees.

Now if those basketball fans go to see Steph Curry and have a great time they may go back next year even if he’s not playing and that may eventually lead to them picking up the game, however, that’s not what the event sponsor cares about right? They just want people buying merch and food/drinks at the event.

I would agree that the other type of fun events: AT&T pro-am, celebrity events etc, all have a bigger impact on growing the game.

No doubt the biggest effect is on the event, sponsor and tour. That’s one thing I totally see the benefit from. Like many say it draws eye to the sport and I don’t disagree with that. Like you second paragraph to me there’s a lot of ifs. Imo the eyes that are drawn or that the sponsor/event hope to draw are the younger crowd or millennial and we read on here a lot about how that generation isn’t interested in golf because of time, costs, etc. while it takes some time to determine the effect tiger had on the game can be seen, the effect Rickie is having is noticeable with the number of kids who dress like him at the event or in some cases adults too. I think it would be hard to quantify steph or other non pro golfers effect on the game other than thru numbers of viewers which while good for ratings/event revenue imo doesn’t really grow the game in the number of new golfers taking up the game.

It's cool seeing athletes who are good at multiple sports

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back