Committing to a full bag of clubs?

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
What is it about clubs that holds you back from gaming/playing a complete bag from one OEM (assuming that particular OEM offers products in all 14 slots in the bag)? Is it looks? Shaft options? Performance?

I'm not good enough to take advantage of every club available. I basically game the odd number irons, PW, GW and 56, Driver and Putter. I get around the course just fine with this so far as a high handicapper and I'm waiting to gain confidence in my game before committing to Fairway Woods.

My bag is mixed big time!! I think it comes down to fitting, I have never had a full bag fitting. My bag is mixed though because I enjoy what i am playing right now and it works best for me.

Are you asking why people play less than 14 clubs or why people have a mixed bag of manufacturers?

I have a mixed bag of manufacturers because, for years, I built everything in my bag. Lately, I've picked up a few OEM clubs (Taylormade). I have the M1 driver and SLDR hybrid. Other than those two, all my clubs are components that I've built myself. The Wishon irons are, quality-wise, as good as anything on the market. The others are very high quality as well.

@OG I have a friend that plays Wishons, those things are sweet!!! Now back to the regular scheduled thread topic.

i know this doesn't make a ton of sense, but there's a part of me that thinks, "no way can one oem have designed 14 clubs that are perfect for me." it just seems statistically improbable. can i make all the clubs work? sure, but that doesn't mean they're perfect for me.

i have the same hangup about playing something straight off the rack. i feel like i HAVE to tinker with something to tailor it to to me because again, no way could the oem have designed something perfect for me without any modifications.

I played a full Callaway/Odyssey bag before THP introduced me to some incredible other products (my 565s and EX 10 Beta, in particular).

For me it's just that thus far in my golfing life I haven't truly believed that the 14 best clubs for me were made by one OEM. It could happen one day and when it does I will embrace it.

I had 12 Titleist clubs at one point but I had 2 J40 wedges to go with them that I liked way more than the Vokeys at the time.

I gamed 14 W/S clubs for a review period but by the end I couldn't wait to get the putter out of the bag.

I currently have 11 W/S in my bag, everything but the driver, fw, and putter. From what I've demoed there isnt a chance I'd game all W/S at the moment.

Because by doing so you are handcuffing yourself into 1 brand when in reality there could be another or multiple brands that have clubs that are better suited for your game.

Now if someone wants to pay me to game all 14...different story

I like Byron Morgan brand putters and he only makes putters.

I enjoy donating my hard earned cash to all OEM’s a little at a time. Plus I don’t pick favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent the better part of the last two years with one OEM thru the bag including ball and was quite happy. In the past some of the brands I played a portion if their offerings didn't look good, sound or perform good for me. Several years ago I was all one OEM on a coule occasions. Tinkering usually gets me away from that but now it's about what I like the most and works best for me. I think there are a few brands I could play all 14 and not have any issues

I just play whatever I hit best. For years I liked Ping irons the best, but now I have Mizuno’s. I have never really had a wedge set so I was wide open in picking out a wedge and the Titleist wedges worked. I looked for a Hybrid early this year and again the Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid worked best for me. I have the 816 because I went to GG and they had a brand new 23* for $90 with the Diamana Blue stiff shaft. I had just had a horrible day with my 4 iron so I bought it. I have hit every driver out this year and I get 5-10 extra yards and much less left action from the G400 LST. I am not sure about my 3 wood, I don’t love it and I am using my PW, 9, & 8 for chipping so I am getting distance problems. Thinking a Cleveland Smart Sole C may be taking my 3 woods place soon. Plus I can trade the G and my old driver and basically get it for free.

I play whatever I play best, period. I don't care if it says Callaway, Cobra, or Dunlop on the club. If it's the best for me and my game, it's in my bag. I currently have (I know, I should update my signature) Callaway driver and 3w, Cobra Hybrid, Nike Vapor Speed Pro irons, TaylorMade and Mizuno wedges, and a Titleist (Cameron Circle T) putter. I've also been playing Srixon Z-Star balls too.

It's an ugly mongrel but it's the best I got (today). I keep other clubs around because I feel that the clubs will perform better if they know there's competition for their spot lurking, always lurking, just waiting for one of them to slip up and leave me hanging.

I'd have no issues playing a full bag of the same gear if I were to win a contest here and be fitted for one specific OEM. I'd look at that opportunity as someone is paying me to play their brand. I'd give it all an honest year long chance and if at the end of that they were the best option I'd stick with it. If they weren't I'd go to what I felt was a better fit for me.

Because by doing so you are handcuffing yourself into 1 brand when in reality there could be another or multiple brands that have clubs that are better suited for your game.

Nailed it for me.

I like to think I go by how I hit them. I currently have like 5 different OEM's in the bag and I am fine with that as long as they work for me. The only thing in the bag that isn't showing me the love is my irons! I don't hate the irons, it is just the area of my struggles right now. Haven't felt real comfortable with any that I have bought/tried.

If I was to ever win any contest for a full bag fitting from any OEM, I am sure I would have no problem playing those OEM clubs (full bag) for a very long time. The only time I would consider changing is if my swing or health caused an equipment change. I am not saying I would switch OEM's, just equipment as long as I could still hit what they offer!

I have one club from Callaway (Epic 3 Wood) and the rest Ping. I have never hit a 3 wood well until this one so I'm afraid to change. I'm very happy with the rest of my set up.

Way too much quality choice out there for me to ever expect one manufacturer to meet my needs. I'm sure they could but my wandering eye and open mind would always get the best of me.

Closest I came was last year, Callaway driver, iron, wedges and Odyssey putter.

I tried to do that when I first started, but have since found that I like different designs from different OEM’s that result in a mixed bag for me.

I would be more than happy to play a full bag from one OEM if they provided the clubs.

What is it about clubs that holds you back from gaming/playing a complete bag from one OEM (assuming that particular OEM offers products in all 14 slots in the bag)? Is it looks? Shaft options? Performance?

It’s a bit of both looks and performance. Shaft options? Honestly, if a shaft is not offered by the club maker, and I really love a club that much, I’ll just have it installed myself.

But to answer your first question. Each OEM typically offers something unique or innovative. And (like most everyone here...) since i have a preferred look and feel of each club, i don’t have to limit myself just to have the name on the club match the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OEMs that immediately come to mind are; Callaway, Cleveland/Srixon, Ping, TaylorMade, and Titleist.

I've played a mixed bag for a while but tracking toward a full bag of Callaway. Could I play a complete set from the other companies?...absolutely. Performance, "brand", and value drive my purchase decisions. It seems like all of the companies mentioned above offer numerous shaft options and allow the consumer to mix & match iron sets.

Callaway does a great job with their brand experience and I like it. I play with several guys who went deep on Titleist.

I think it's cool when people connect with products from any category. I have a favorite retailer and car brand.

It's a combination of a lot of things for me, but I think 441 and c.a.aleric nailed it. Personally, I like trying new stuff and I'm really picky so if I don't like the look or name of a club chances are I won't game it. As it stands, I currently have a lot of TM in the bag (FW, irons and a wedge), but that's just the way the wind blows at the moment!

Yep, agree with this. Plus it's far from cost effective to force yourself into a single brand. I like sales....and I like tinkering....tougher to do both of those with a single brand at your disposal.

The closest I have came is a full bag of Callaway but then I went putter shopping and found the Scotty Cameron then the G400 Max driver. The Ping driver surprises me the most just because Ping has never appealed to me for whatever illogical reason but that is a damn good driver!

Closest I got to a full bag was with Bridgestone. Played 13 clubs which I totally enjoyed but I couldn’t bring myself to play it’s putter.

Playing a mixed bag now.

Back