my Cobra amp irons shafts are now all breaking

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Sorry for long post but alot to explain about.

And so I ha these clubs since new (5yrs?) I think. Anyway....last year my 5iron broke the shaft right at the housel and the head went flying with the broken shaft piece still in the head. I posted here about how happy i was that cobra (even though well past warantee) replaced that shaft. They didnt hove the dynolite 90 that was in my set but they gave me the most equivilent and simialar newer F7 irons shaft and did so in my lentgh and of course new midsize grip.

I was very happy and appreciative they went out of thier way for this at the time. And at the time of this I asked them if I should be concerned they all start breaking and they said this isnt normal and is rare but also said if i felt concened anyway I could send them all in and they would replace the rest of the set for small fee of $50 dollars. I told them..."well" perhaps over the winter (when i wouldnt lose a months play time) I would consider sending them in" But I also asked if what happened to my 5 was just a rare and freak thing. They said most likely it was. So honestly I really saw no real reson to replace them and go through the hassle of it all as I just didnt ever experience many borken shafts in my life and certaibly my prior set of irons was payed for over 12 years and still today have them. So with that all in mind it just didnt seem necessary but they told me if I change my mind the offer is on the table if idecide I want to do it and theyd be glad to take ccare of it all for the $50. Ok so great :) I have the offer if i want.

And so I never did it because I just truly didnt beleive it was necessary. But now FF to 2 weeks ago and the same exact thing happens to my 8iron. And so at this point Im thinking maybe it isnt so rare after all but of course I call them up (now a year later and expalin another club has now broken in the exact same manor. But unfortunately this time they wont replace the 8rion shaft and also are (in a way going back on thier word) and not offering the deal from last year they said was on the table if idecide.

Im not angry but I am a tad bothered. The best they can offer me is to replace the 8iron shaft with grip for 25 dolllars plus shipping. And also offfered to do this with them all. In a way i feel like they should honor what they said was on the table last year as its begining to seem like my concern was actually something to worry about. I do know that 25 with grip is also a feindly offer but when i think that this is now the second iron to break and we did go through this last year its just kind of dissapointing. Wuld cost me 225 plus shipping all 9 of them plus all the aggrivation. How much is round trip shipping for that? IDK
That said if i take care of this at a store like my local PGASS or Dicks it will cost me about 60 bucks per club. So now im thinking ....well do i just send cobra the 8i, or all my irons because paying 60 per at my local store and then I may as well get a new set. Just wasnt sur what to do.

And now as of this morning while playing in a charity outting it all happens again as my 6iron decided to do the same exact thing while taking an approach shot and there goes the head with broekn shaft flying and skidding 50 yrds uo the fairway. So now my 8 and my 6 are broken and including the 5 from last year the least thing I now just nust to do is get them all done.

But why are these all breaking? Its not like I play 150 rounds per year but only about 50 to maybe barely 60 plus range practice of course but I dont get it. My old irons much much older are still going strong and now I been using that old 8 and now the 6. I used that old 5 last year while i waited for that initial repair.

Do I ned to stay away from the lighter shaft and go with something thicker?
But now im just thinking perhaps a new set. No way am i to spend 500 or so just rshafting these as I may as well get in a new set for a little more. But i do have the option of using cobra at a much freindler price (plus shipping) but still can be a few hundred and I wont be trusting the shaft now anyway.

What to do what to do??....IDK. I really dont know.

I may hit the PGASS tomorow morning and swing some clubs. Id like to swing the ping G400 just for starters. But regardless if i look at new Im not about to spend full price as i need some sort of deal. I could look at the Cobra F8 too (which i actually did swing one day) and it felt extremely similar to my amps . With closed eyes I would think I was swing the same club (as for feel alone) or basically any clubs out there but what to do I just dont know. The whole thing just kind of sucks. Clubs should last more than 5 years with the amount of golf i play. Im going to have to spend some money now either way I slice things. I jst dotn know which way to go here. I almost dont even want my amp set anymore in a starnge way.

In all honestly 5 years is pretty darn good for a light shaft, tbh you really should have taken the deal last year for 50, i definitely would not keep spending money on them when you can buy something better for $300 or 400 , warranty on new clubs is one year usually with your receipt, i actually don't keep clubs long enough to weather old age, hell epoxy usually is about that long before deteriating

But on the other side i can see your point about the offer for 50 but if it isn't in writing then it didn't happen

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

In all honestly 5 years is pretty darn good for a light shaft, tbh you really should have taken the deal last year for 50, i definitely would not keep spending money on them when you can buy something better for $300 or 400 , warranty on new clubs is one year usually with your receipt, i actually don't keep clubs long enough to weather old age, hell epoxy usually is about that long before deteriating

But on the other side i can see your point about the offer for 50 but if it isn't in writing then it didn't happen

I here ya. Except im not buying anything for 3 or 400 new iron set wise. Gong to be more like 7 at least.

Get the forged tec black lol but really i would have taken the 50 last year offer or at least got them to email you the offer, I'm sure they get alot of bogus people staying they were told something , but in the shafts i am willing to bet that many years condensation on the inner walls would be the culprit, I'm a golfsmith and reshafted quite a few that rusted out internally that were even less than 5 years old

If i have shafts that would work for you or you send your own i am willing to do the labor of reshafting them for you for free lmk
I here ya. Except im not buying anything for 3 or 400 new iron set wise. Gong to be more like 7 at least.

Thank you for the offer.
I'm not so upset about them not still honoring that past offer as I am simply upset I'm even have to go through this.

Sure I get a club can break. But it doesnt sit well with me that 5yrs is all I should expect to get. I mean there are huge amounts of iron sets out there that are much much older still being gamed by numerous people.

Unlike many in this unique community of thp, most people do not get new iron sets every 5 years at all. Not only do people play sets much longer but enough people actually buy used sets that old and only then begin to play them.
As said I'm still now gaming a couple of my nearly 20 yr old irons due to this current issue.

The whole thing is surprising and honestly just doesn't seem this should be happening. That's why I didn't bother having them done last year. I never really thought I had anything more than that one rarer incident. Although I gave a thought and wondered if they'd all start breaking I still didn't truly believe it was actually going to end up being the case. At least not anywhere near a 5 year mark. Ok 20 yes but not 5. I mean that's not old Imo for a set of clubs.

Ouch. I'd have taken the original offer if only to have matching shafts.

But I feel ya, five years is ridiculous, I'd expect an iron set's lifetime would be decades wrt normal use.

Similar issue but without the actual breakage was when my 8-iron head flew off into a murky pond off a par-3 tee box. Gone.

Callaway matched and replaced the entire club although the shaft was still intact, for free. Awesome service. Only, second time using the new from Callaway 8-iron, it too flew off. Retrievable, this time.

Also discovered my 6-iron clubhead to have a bit of play during the twist-test. So I elected to hit a reputable club builder to see what was up.

Mismatch as to diameter clubhead/hosel. He said that Callaway is tremendous in nearly all facets but the one negative he saw was their penchant to gob epoxy rather than shim when necessary.

He shimmed the entire set for me at my cost, of course, checked and adjusted loft/lie as necessary, and through tons of rounds since, they've been fine.

Had I called again, Callaway may have hooked me up from a cost perspective but because I now had a certain distrust with the clubs being assembled properly, I elected to go through my own wallet instead.

Ouch. I'd have taken the original offer if only to have matching shafts.

But I feel ya, five years is ridiculous, I'd expect an iron set's lifetime would be decades wrt normal use.

Similar issue but without the actual breakage was when my 8-iron head flew off into a murky pond off a par-3 tee box. Gone.

Callaway matched and replaced the entire club although the shaft was still intact, for free. Awesome service. Only, second time using the new from Callaway 8-iron, it too flew off. Retrievable, this time.

Also discovered my 6-iron clubhead to have a bit of play during the twist-test. So I elected to hit a reputable club builder to see what was up.

Mismatch as to diameter clubhead/hosel. He said that Callaway is tremendous in nearly all facets but the one negative he saw was their penchant to gob epoxy rather than shim when necessary.

He shimmed the entire set for me at my cost, of course, checked and adjusted loft/lie as necessary, and through tons of rounds since, they've been fine.

Had I called again, Callaway may have hooked me up from a cost perspective but because I now had a certain distrust with the clubs being assembled properly, I elected to go through my own wallet instead.

Wait so they are out of Warranty by 4 years and they made you a great offer and didn't take it and now your upset that it will cost you more money?

Who knows what anyone's normal use is? Maybe I have a temper and smash my clubs into the ground every hole. (I have never done this with my FTB's.) It's sad to say that stuff isn't made to last as long as it used too.

Once one broke I would have taken their offer but now I would just get a new set. I figure the leap in Tech every 3-5 years is worth an upgrade.

It sucks that this is happening, definitely expect iron shafts to last longer. They are making you a very favorable offer now. Unfortunately it comes after the super incredible sweetheart deal you were offered last year so it feels inadequate.

Wait so they are out of Warranty by 4 years and they made you a great offer and didn't take it and now your upset that it will cost you more money?

Who knows what anyone's normal use is? Maybe I have a temper and smash my clubs into the ground every hole. (I have never done this with my FTB's.) It's sad to say that stuff isn't made to last as long as it used too.

Once one broke I would have taken their offer but now I would just get a new set. I figure the leap in Tech every 3-5 years is worth an upgrade.
I'm assuming your response is intended for Rollin. But just to clarify, I wouldn't expect Cobra nor Callaway (in my case) to feel compelled to fix things on their dime.

So are you upset because you like the clubs and won’t be able to use them or are you upset that Cobra isn’t offering you the same deal you declined over 8 months ago? Also do you practice off mats or grass? Mats do significantly more damages to club/shaft than hitting off grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... And keep in mind this really has nothing to do with Cobra and everything to do with True Temper and Dynamite 90's. I imagine if it were a head issue, even that far out of warranty Cobra may have done more for you and perhaps replaced the head. But considering they buy their shafts from True Temper and anything outside the warranty should not be Cobra's responsibility. Of course some OEMs will replace parts from other OEMs just to keep a customer in the fold even if it isn't their responsibility. Honestly I would not expect any OEM to replace anything 5 years old, but that is me and ymmv.

I'm assuming your response is intended for Rollin. But just to clarify, I wouldn't expect Cobra nor Callaway (in my case) to feel compelled to fix things on their dime.
Yes and I do not agree that the whole situation stinks.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

I mentioned I am not really angry with Cobra and that thier new offer in fact is a pretty nice one. But only that this whole thing in itself is going on and forcing me to do something is upsetting.

As for anything I ever known (and probably most people) 5 yrs would certainly be very short sided. Most people don't buy a set of clubs with the idea they will be lucky to get 5 yrs out of them. In fact even those who can afford a new set every 5 yrs would often then figure to turn around and sell them.

I don't worry about resale whenever I invested in cubs but since its not something Ive not afforded to do every few years I'd (like most) consider id use that investment for probably a decade and even then still have them if need be or perhaps pass them along to someon else, whatever.

The issue here seems more to be the shaft. But still is one that cobra puts in their head. But tech has made it so shafts are thin and very light but I guess the one flaw or sacrifice in that is so is the tip where the most stress is. Whatever the case this is still something that imo shouldn't happen but only on a single rare occasions. I just don't agree with anyone that failing in 5years is somehow ok. Golf clubs are not cheap, they are an investment that most people are not purchasing with the idea they should be thrown away in 5years or to feel lucky if they last longer than that. The ideology that this is expected and/or acceptable as being ok is flat out wrong imo.

So with that Im not really angry with cobra but just upset at the whole thing in general. Now Im forced to go through this whole thing with Cobra or to decide on making a new set purchase. I almost hate to put even a few hundred into the existing set but also was not planning on a new set for even several hundred more. This is just not the situation I should be forced to have to decide 5yrs after my set investment unless was something I wanted to do, not because I have no choice due them breaking.

If the set of irons is all breaking, I have to wonder if something happened that put a bunch of stress on the shafts - something being on the bag or something. Or were they kept in a garage with no climate control? madi's suggestion of rust being the culprit might be the case then.

I really think condensation got into those shafts or they prepped them to much before install and thinned the walls to much, do you have a pic of the break and the inside of the shaft we can see?

I mentioned I am not really angry with Cobra and that thier new offer in fact is a pretty nice one. But only that this whole thing in itself is going on and forcing me to do something is upsetting.

As for anything I ever known (and probably most people) 5 yrs would certainly be very short sided. Most people don't buy a set of clubs with the idea they will be lucky to get 5 yrs out of them. In fact even those who can afford a new set every 5 yrs would often then figure to turn around and sell them.

I don't worry about resale whenever I invested in cubs but since its not something Ive not afforded to do every few years I'd (like most) consider id use that investment for probably a decade.

The issue here seems more to be the shaft. But still is one that cobra puts in their head. But tech has made it so shafts are thin and very light but I guess the one flaw or sacrifice in that is so is the tip where the most stress is. Whatever the case this is still something that imo shouldn't happen but only on a single rare occasions. I just don't agree with anyone that failing in 5years is somehow ok. Golf clubs are not cheap, they are an investment that most people are not purchasing with the idea they should be thrown away in 5years or to feel lucky if they last longer than that. The ideology that this is expected and/or acceptable as being ok is flat out wrong imo.

So with that Im not really angry with cobra but just upset at the whole thing in general. Now Im forced to go through this whole thing with Cobra or to decide on making a new set purchase. I almost hate to put even a few hundred into the existing set but also was not planning on a new set for even several hundred more. This is just not the situation I should be forced to have to decide 5yrs after my set investment unless was something I wanted to do, not because I have no choice due them breaking.

I was just asking and I fully expect to play my New Cobra Irons for the next 5-10 years. I can sympathize with you having to go thru this and I would be wary to play these till I had them all re shafted or I got new Irons.

So are you upset because you like the clubs and won’t be able to use them or are you upset that Cobra isn’t offering you the same deal you declined over 8 months ago? Also do you practice off mats or grass? Mats do significantly more damages to club/shaft than hitting off grass.

yea I gave thought tot the matt thing. What can ya do? I mean of that s what you have at the range what else can you do? But club/shaft makers have to know that so many people beat against matts.

I’d have taken the $50 deal and not looked back if it was that big of an issue. But you didn’t and now broke another one. So now you’re upset that they took back a deal from 8 months ago and instead want $225 to reshaft them?

On another note, you e broken 2-3 putters and a couple of irons right? Dude, what are you doing to your clubs? I play 5-6 days a week and haven’t broken a thing.

Maybe you need to look at :touredge: when you shop for a new set, I believe they still offer a lifetime warranty on their clubs.

I’d have taken the $50 deal and not looked back if it was that big of an issue. But you didn’t and now broke another one. So now you’re upset that they took back a deal from 8 months ago and instead want $225 to reshaft them?

On another note, you e broken 2-3 putters and a couple of irons right? Dude, what are you doing to your clubs? I play 5-6 days a week and haven’t broken a thing.

respectfully people, please read the posts.....how often do I need to mention Im not all that upset with Cobra so much as I am that this is simply happening and forcing my hand to make some decisions and spend money not expected. The putter is not relevant. Totally different usage and totally different kind of break. Fwiw the irons in question are now 3 in total.

As for the 50 to reshaft? yea I should have done that as people keep mentioning but really who would have though it was necessary? I didn't truly expect this to happen and just though the one club last year was a rare kind of freakish thing. Had I thought otherwise I would have done the whole set. I mean yea I thought about it but (as mentioned) thought I was only worrying about something unnecessarily.

I really believe its the dynalite 90 shafts that are the issue. Just too light I suppose for my swing. But these are the kinds of shafts they put in GI cubs nowadays. I mean yea I ordered them in my length but didn't consider I needed heavier (or thicker/stronger ones). But the fact that you play so many more rounds than me is indeed upsetting and part of my whole point. This really just shouldn't happen in just 5years with what by many people standards would be moderate amount of golf and not really heavy usage. As said I still have nearly 20 yr old set of irons and still now playing them in replacement so this is not me doing anything out of the norm. If it was anything I did my old set would be around anymore.

I said the 225 is a favorable deal and im appreciative of that (if you listened). But including shipping both ways its probably closer to 300 and I have to lose the clubs for probably a solid month as was the case with my 5iron last year. If I do this I would just wait till winter. But my biggest dilemma is deciding whether to go that route and reinvest a few hundred in my clubs or fork up the extra cash for a new set.

Last edited:
I would not put anymore for them especially$300 just because that's the old tech and you can use that money to get new tech f6, f7, irons or other brands that are only a couple years back for the same cash, i do understand your pain but i would just chalk it up that the shafts integrity or the guy that put them together screwed up and get something better

But if they just work for you get new shafts and roll with it, again i would love too install whatever shafts you get for you this winter for free/fun

I would not put anymore for them especially$300 just because that's the old tech and you can use that money to get new tech f6, f7, irons or other brands that are only a couple years back for the same cash, i do understand your pain but i would just chalk it up that the shafts integrity or the guy that put them together screwed up and get something better

But if they just work for you get new shafts and roll with it, again i would love too install whatever shafts you get for you this winter for free/fun

and so , Im honesly considering the Ping g400 or even for a couple or so hundred less last years G irons. They feel extremely similar with similar resuts. The G400 are lofted about a half degree stronger but the G's spin a bit more and the yardages are very compatible.

The price for the G is about 785 for 5i through pw, gw, sw, lw...vs 1,020 for the G400
And the shafts plus 1/2 inch are a heavier shaft at about 155g than my old dynalite90's with a thicker tip. I can also get the dynamic golds too.

My head is just all over the map right now.

Hey if you like ping the g's are just as good as the 400 imho and you have some coin, don't go by loft because of a degree , shafts make a difference as well

Hey if you like ping the g's are just as good as the 400 imho and you have some coin, don't go by loft because of a degree , shafts make a difference as well

you know wiw I am actually considering clones again as I did with those old nike slingshot clones (id dint mention that part) . I know some here would be against that but you know what? When I played that 5iron last year while I waited for the cobra to get repaired it didn't miss a beat and fit right in with my gapping and everything. Then now the old 8iron in the bag and same result. I mean a clone nearly 20 yrs old and still playing as well as it ever did and as well as my existing. Im not affriad to admit why not give that another thought? Undier 400 I end up with an entire set with my length and lie to boot. IDK if I will do that but just maybe why not consider. Like from pinemeadow or diamond or giga. The stuff is not poor quality fwiw.

you know wiw I am actually considering clones again as I did with those old nike slingshot clones (id dint mention that part) . I know some here would be against that but you know what? When I played that 5iron last year while I waited for the cobra to get repaired it didn't miss a beat and fit right in with my gapping and everything. Then now the old 8iron in the bag and same result. I mean a clone nearly 20 yrs old and still playing as well as it ever did and as well as my existing. Im not affriad to admit why not give that another thought? Undier 400 I end up with an entire set with my length and lie to boot. IDK if I will do that but just maybe why not consider. Like from pinemeadow or diamond or giga. The stuff is not poor quality fwiw.
If we are going clones then why not just get the cobra f6,7 and call it a day? Or if you just want to get back into a build get the maltbys i can't remember the name but they are just as good, my only gripe with clones is usually they use cheaper metals and they after stealing from a name brand and nowadays we have maltby that makes a quality product to save money but they don't cut corners, and from your stand point you will pay about the same for a frat used set of two years back greatness, just my two cents

Back