The Newest is not Always Better

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I have been re-learning a valuable lesson, which is that the newest equipment is not always best suited for one’s game. A while back I started a thread which asked people to list their 3 favorite 3 woods. My current bag makeup is not allowing me to carry 2 fairway woods, so I needed a 3 wood that is very good off the tee and the deck.

A few posters to that thread mentioned the Callaway GBB 816. I thought, what the heck, I will give it a shot. I found a “like new” on Callaway pre-owned. I paid about $125 for it. I have now had it in the bag for 6 rounds and I absolutely love it. It is great off the deck and off the tee. I don’t think I have ever felt as much confidence off the tee with a 3 wood. It has been point and shoot. At first, I didn’t think it was as long as the newest iterations, but I have now hit some of my longest tee shots ever with a fw. A couple of days ago, I hit a 274 yard tee shot with it, as seen in the photo (I labeled it as a 2w on my Arccos 360 to differentiate it from the Rogue 3w I had been gaming, but it is set at the standard 14 degrees). The shot was not wind-aided and for my swing speed, a 274 yard 3w is a beast.

I guess I may be looking to sell the latest and greatest because it was beaten out by something 2 generations or more old.

Attachments

• D5BCB134-8B7E-44E4-A719-AA5EB81DE5B4.jpeg
    D5BCB134-8B7E-44E4-A719-AA5EB81DE5B4.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I tried 3 different Callaway fw last year before trying the 816 and it was by far my favorite. Jailbreak though has me tempted to tinker again.

Just imagine what you could’ve done with a Ping G400. At least 500 yards off the tee in the wet.

The Newest is not Always Better

agree!

Always tinkering with clubs, never new tho.

Just picked up a used M2 ‘17 3w with a HZRDUS Red shaft and it didn’t beat out my 2009 burner 3 wood with a stock stiff shaft.

Snapped up a new TM Juno putter and it didn’t replace my 2010 milled face Odyssey.

Did also just replace my R9 with an R15. Don’t hit it any better but the R9’s face just sounded dead.

Have been watching the used M2’s tho as every one swears by how much better they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blind buys aren’t always the best route unless one has a good idea on what works for them. Buying something done proppe recommend it like with swings that are different from you probably won’t work. Tinkering is fun but getting fit to find what works best is the best and usually cheapest route to go

I game a Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 driver. I have purchased (and resold) 3 drivers in attempt to get "the new stuff" but I always wind up back with the superfast. Even pros use old clubs if they work for them.

Blind buys aren’t always the best route unless one has a good idea on what works for them. Buying something done proppe recommend it like with swings that are different from you probably won’t work. Tinkering is fun but getting fit to find what works best is the best and usually cheapest route to go

Your points are all valid, but it wasn’t really possible for me to get fit with a particular 3 wood that is no longer being marketed by the manufacturer. I wasn’t out much, given the price of the club and every once in a while tinkering leads to a gem, which appears to be the case here. It could be the shaft, the head, the combination, but it is an awesome club for my game and I never would have found it, but for the THP and tinkering.

I replaced my Epic driver with my Great Big Bertha, it was just better all the way around. So I get what you’re saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have regretted selling my 816 three wood to Awkward Silence as soon as I parted ways with it.

I have a set of 816’s as well as the rouge I have and it’s still up there with it. They are still some of the best FW releases for me out there

I have played, in order, as they were released, 815 BB, 816BB, and am currently on an Epic SZ. Each one has been better than the last.

*¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A few months ago I traded in my 2007 TM HT Burner (which I've used on and off since 2007) for a used TM M2 driver. I stuck with the M2 for about 3 weeks trying to convince myself that the few decent hits would soon become the norm. Finally I found a 2007 TM HT Burner on Callaway Pre-Owned for around $30, and purchased it. My first 18 with it was like playing with an old friend. It was consistent, fairly straight, and just felt right. The 2017 M2 will be sent in for trade sometime soon.

I figured, but couldn't pass up the opportunity. I'm always a year or two behind the current releases.
The cost thing was because I hit the Epic SZ about 8 times last year. Seemed a waste to scrap it so soon.

I am considering putting my old V Steel 3 and 5 Woods back in the bag to go with my 2016 M2 driver and replace my M2 3 HL.

I am considering putting my old V Steel 3 and 5 Woods back in the bag to go with my 2016 M2 driver and replace my M2 3 HL.
I still play a V-Steel 5 and 7 wood. 7 woods has a steel shaft! :gasp:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've tried them all. For me the FW ends and dies with the 816. The 815 is a very closed second.

The new stuff is great on the tee. But I'd rather have something that's good from the deck for a FW.

I have played, in order, as they were released, 815 BB, 816BB, and am currently on an Epic SZ. Each one has been better than the last.

*¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then shouldn't you be playing Rogue

Not the same line actually. Rouge is the new XR essentially. The BB's and Epic were the adjustable lines, so really, he'll just have to pick up the ones most likely released next year.

As for those, I still need to try the Epic SZ's.

Glad you're loving it. It's really a great club. I have an 816 DBD 9* driver as well. Very good club; on center strikes. It's not very forgiving, you have to dead nutt one to take advantage of that. The first time I played it, I replaced my M1 in my bag. The next time I did, I put the M1 back in.

Swing has to be perfect to take advantage of that one, at least for me and that particular one. But a center strike, its stupid long. .

I'm the same way with fairway woods. I played an 07 Burner TP 3w for years. When I cracked the face, I went on a hunt for a replacement. After testing a ton of new fairway woods, I went on the hunt for a used 07 Burner TP 3w and just swapped out the shafts. I didn't replace it til some time in 2016... so 9 years with that 3w.

Earlier this year while I was browsing inside Golf Galaxy on a not so busy day I was testing out a few clubs from their used clubs section. None of them impressed me until I picked out a pre-owned GBB Fusion driver that looked like new. After hitting a few balls with it, I knew it felt right and really impressed me so I decided to buy it. I paid $198 for it and it's worth more. It's now the driver I use for all my tee shots on par fours and 5's

Boy I'll tell you, one thing about ShotScope - Numbers do not lie.

At the Driver Spot, my JGR from last year averages longer and straighter than my Rogue Draw - I got numbers to prove it. Now, some of my longest drives last year were late September/early October so I'm holding out final judgment.

At the 3W spot, I've tried to unseat my JGR 3W with several other 3W combination and nothing has beaten the JGR for accuracy and distance.

Sometimes, there is just a fit and you can't deny it.

Boy I'll tell you, one thing about ShotScope - Numbers do not lie.

At the Driver Spot, my JGR from last year averages longer and straighter than my Rogue Draw - I got numbers to prove it. Now, some of my longest drives last year were late September/early October so I'm holding out final judgment.

At the 3W spot, I've tried to unseat my JGR 3W with several other 3W combination and nothing has beaten the JGR for accuracy and distance.

Sometimes, there is just a fit and you can't deny it.

I see you're playing the Rogue X irons. How do you like them so far? I'm playing them too and still adjusting to them a bit. Previously had the Apex CF16 in the bag and really enjoyed them but just wanted more distance. What did you game before the Rogue X? The only thing I don't like about the Rogue X is the size of the head. I'm going to try the Ping i500 and see how they compare. BTW, I'm also playing the Rogue Draw Driver, Rogue 3w and 5w, and Rogue 4h. You might give the Snell MTB Black a try. I like it better than the Chromesoft. The Bridgestone Tour B RX is a close second. I trade off with those two balls.

This morning I pulled the MD4 50 and 54 out of the bag and slipped in the Ping Glide 2.0 50 and 56. The Glides just seem to give me more stopping power on the greens. They are also very easy to hit and reliable. No complaints about the MD4 except I'd like to have more spin.

Back