Using a Hunting Range Finder

boddah4

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm from Michigan... I hunt. I have a Nikon range finder that I use for hunting deer. Any reason why this wouldn't work well for ranging distances on the golf course? I think it reads out to 550 yards in 1 yard increments.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I'm from Michigan... I hunt. I have a Nikon range finder that I use for hunting deer. Any reason why this wouldn't work well for ranging distances on the golf course? I think it reads out to 550 yards in 1 yard increments.

I have a friend that uses one.

As far as I'm aware it works just fine.

It just doesn't zero in on the pin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gotta agree with Antihero, it may take a bit of a steadier hand but I've seen others use them just fine.

They compared their readings to mine here and there, spot on every time.

Yeah, I took it out for a test run a few weeks ago. I would range a tree or something close to pin distance to get a general idea.
I have a friend that uses one.

As far as I'm aware it works just fine.

It just doesn't zero in on the pin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use my hunting range finder, it does struggle to get flags past 150 ish, but I can target the center of the green or the ground near the base of the flag and get a good reading. It's a cheap one that I use for 3D Archery and bow season.

I use my hunting range finder, it does struggle to get flags past 150 ish, but I can target the center of the green or the ground near the base of the flag and get a good reading. It's a cheap one that I use for 3D Archery and bow season.
That's a good idea with just ranging the ground.

I use my golf rangefinder hunting, opposite of what the OP is asking but works better than the hunting specific one that died.

Golf specific finders work better in my opinion but if you are on a budget it should work fine for you.

I have a Nikon ProStaff 3i that I bought from Dicks. It is sold as a hunting rangefinder but feature wise I found it indistinguishable from the CoolShot 40. I have no problem getting flag distances when I want them, which is typically inside 250. I can also scan and get several quick readings which is handy when there are a few bunkers or other hazards guarding a hole.

I've been using my Leopold rf for 4 years. Works great but do have to be steady to hit the flag. Most of the time I've gone to just taking reading from the ground or trees close by or to get a hazard reading. I will say that I also bought a Swami 5000 GPS and love it and dont have to use the RF near as often but I still have to pull it out for a reading from time to time and my yardages are right on with both.

I use my golf rangefinder hunting, opposite of what the OP is asking but works better than the hunting specific one that died.

I hope it doesn't show the deer there's a hazard he's about to get into. Lol

Or even better, buy a golf rangefinder to us for both golf and hunting.

I'm from Michigan and I have an archery range finder from Nikon I can't get it to read more than 100 yards. I was hoping to use it hunting but that won't work

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Most laser rangefinders will do an adequate job of detecting highly reflective targets out to 1,500 yards. That's great if you're hunting highway signs. The real measure of a hunting rangefinder is its ability to detect targets the size and reflectivity of deer out to about 1,000 yards.

I have a Simmons rage finder. It’s good to 150 or so on the pin. Much further if I target a tree or hump. It’s adequate but I do use my gps app more.

As far as I know, a lazer, marketed for hunting works just fine for golf. Mine was sold as a simple hunting model up to 500 yards. Iirc I paid about $120 for it 15 years ago. Actually I was given a gift card for the local Bass Proshops and purchased it with that.

I can shoot pin/flag yardages accurately with mine, up to a certain yardage. Maybe 150 +/- After that I need a more sustantial target.

I suspect if the same model had been marketed for golf, the price would've been considérably higher.

Yards are yards. I test mine periodically against my gps, and they both still give the same yardages +/- a yard or two.

Back