Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Same Golf, New Perspective

Jedi Knight
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,078 Posts
    Welcome back! Try to enjoy the good shots and forget the bad ones.
    Morgan Cup 2018 Team Paradise Cobra Ultralight Bag
    F8 Tour Length Project X Even Flow Blue 65g 5.5
    F8 3/4 Fairway Project XEven Flow Blue 65g 5.5
    F8 3/4 Hybrid Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
    F8 2/3 UT Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
    King Forged TEC 5-GW Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
    King wedges 56Ver + 60Ver Recoil 95
    Putter: SeeMore SI5
    Ball: Calloway Chrome Soft Truvis.
    Special thanks to
    #THP #TeamParadise #MorganCup2018 #CPG
    Proud Member of Team Paradise 2018 Morgan Cup Champions!!!

Beginner
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DG_1234 View Post
    I consider tennis to be a sport, golf to be a game. Both tennis and golf are much easier when the players uses sound fundamental technique.
    If you have a tennis background you probably know that the grip is crucial to good consistent tennis ball striking. The same is true for golf; it is a much easier game when played with a fundamentally sound grip.
    Very true!

With tennis and most other "ball" sports tho, you have a much bigger margin for error.

You can "feel" a shot more with tennis since the strings are like a net and the bigger-softer ball stays on the racket longer, allowing you to feel and correct your shot slightly.

With golf the ball is hard, tiny, and the club is hard and you barely feel the ball unless it's a bad shot and you can't do anything about it haha

But I totally agree with you on grip. Major deal on both sports but I don't get why golf grips are so small and round. I think with a slightly bigger and grooved grip you'd be able to get a more precise position?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan View Post
    Welcome back! Try to enjoy the good shots and forget the bad ones.
    For sure! I feel like a battered spouse in a bad relationship where the game is kicking my butt all day but then gives me a cracker once in a while and it's all good lol

With golf tho, the timeframe is so long that you can take all the time you need to get better (as long as you have no pro aspirations that is and I certainly don't).

Handicap
    0-10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,783 Posts
    Welcome back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Championship Participant @ Firestone CC
    Epic SZ w/ Tour AD di 7X Orange/white
    Rogue 3W w/EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5
    KING F8 2Hyb w/ES SW 780 SmacWrap Black S-Tipped 1/2"
    KING UT 4I w/ CTaper Lite Stiff
    KING Pro-Black 5,6CB / 7,PWMB w/CTaper Lite Stiff
    TourB XW-1 52/08, 56/10, 60/10 wedges w/
    Pro Platinum 2.5
    2019 Championship Participant @ Firestone CC

Member of TEAM HACKERS in the 2018 MORGAN CUP - P4B "miss you brother"

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 8livesleft View Post
    Very true!

With tennis and most other "ball" sports tho, you have a much bigger margin for error.

You can "feel" a shot more with tennis since the strings are like a net and the bigger-softer ball stays on the racket longer, allowing you to feel and correct your shot slightly.

With golf the ball is hard, tiny, and the club is hard and you barely feel the ball unless it's a bad shot and you can't do anything about it haha

But I totally agree with you on grip. Major deal on both sports but I don't get why golf grips are so small and round. I think with a slightly bigger and grooved grip you'd be able to get a more precise position?

A player's grip technique influences several factors of the swing itself; including the plane, hinging and unhinging of the wrists, tempo and rhythm etc....
    Probably 90% of the people playing golf have swings which are are doomed due to faulty grip technique. Sadly, incompetent instructors either do not understand the function of the grip or they mistakenly think that because Tour Player XYZ had a faulty grip that grip doesn't matter much.
    Regarding your question about traditional golf grip size.......when a swing grip model becomes too large then proper grip technique may be more of a challenge. Specifically, sound fundamental swing grip technique includes holding and applying pressure to the grip-shaft within the fingers.
    Unlike swing grips technique, putter clubs may be held within the palms of the hands, sand some players find wider diameter putter grips helpful.
    Driver: Ping G400 LST Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S
    Fairway metals: Cleveland Launcher HB 15* Miyazaki C.Kua 5S
    Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher HB 19* Miyazaki C.Kua 6S
    Irons: Ping G700 4-SW Project X LZ 5.5
    Wedge: Ping G400 58* LW Project X LZ 5.5
    Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 w/ putter grip

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'm another one coming from a life of tennis~ but a few years ago, my knees started resenting the stop, go, side to side movement. A few of my issues I continue to battle moving to golf is a bent elbow on impact, and lateral movement on my swing, which causes me to top it a lot. I never thought I would enjoy golf! You get one chance to hit the bugger, and tennis, you hit many chances to put it away during a point.

I love your attitude, though. Just recently, I decided to 'up' my enjoyment, and told my husband to stop correcting me time and again, I just wanted to hit and enjoy playing.

Beginner
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPinger View Post
    I'm another one coming from a life of tennis~ but a few years ago, my knees started resenting the stop, go, side to side movement. A few of my issues I continue to battle moving to golf is a bent elbow on impact, and lateral movement on my swing, which causes me to top it a lot. I never thought I would enjoy golf! You get one chance to hit the bugger, and tennis, you hit many chances to put it away during a point.

I love your attitude, though. Just recently, I decided to 'up' my enjoyment, and told my husband to stop correcting me time and again, I just wanted to hit and enjoy playing.
    A bent left elbow at impact + topping the ball are my EXACT issues! Haha

No matter how low I go or keep my head down my elbow/wrist bend just enough so I'm consistently a half inch higher than where I should be.

It's like I have this mental block of not wanting to hit the floor. I blame that on tennis because hitting the floor means a double bounce and a lost point. So we try our darndest to get to the ball BEFORE it hits the floor again. Well at least that's my theory haha

I'm experimenting with a training aid to help with that. I'll PM what I did IF it works.

But yeah, keep it light, keep it fun.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    703 Posts
    Welcome back
    Driver GBB 9*
    3 Wood M4
    5 Wood M4
    3 Hybrid M2 22*