Has there ever been a club you wanted to work so bad, but it didn't?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
I was looking at the other thread about trying clubs that you didn't think would work.

Tell us a story about a club that you wanted so bad, and it didn't work.

Mine was the Callaway XR driver. Everything I read say it was great. This was what I wanted.

I went to 2 different places. The first one said it was a good choice, and that everyone hit this club great.

Not me. It was short distance and low draws. With every shaft they had. He had me hitting an R15 pretty good.

Then I went to Dick's Sporting Goods. Hit several clubs. He gave me the XR driver, said everyone loves it. Then he dropped his jaw at how bad I hit it with every shaft.

He put me in the 2014 Big Bertha. I'm hitting it real good, and better than the R15 at the other place.

Jack

Definitely the R1 for me. Even after bring fit it just wasn't consistent enough for me.... I have 2 of my playing partners who still game it and they bomb the thing... But just not for me.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

A lot of Callaway metalwoods are like that for me, both drivers and woods. Which is super annoying, because they work great for a ton of people and I get along with my Apex irons fantastically. There's just something about them that doesn't click with me, and I've tried every model they have.

Similar is PING G30 irons. They're great, everybody loves them, they just don't work for me at all. I hate the feel and sound and just don't hit them well.

Cobra BioCell driver, it just did not work for me at all. I just went out and bought it, gamed it for a few months, and couldn't get it to work. Luckily, I had a buddy I let hit it a few times and he loved it, I sold it to him and didn't take a beating on it.

Every club I've acquired with the intent on using.

Mashie hybrid

I hate saying this, but the Altitudes. The highs were high, but the lows were so low I had to move on. I couldn't stay consistent with them and even though when I was on with them they were a thing of beauty and made shots feel so easy, I couldn't get to that point with them as often as I wanted, despite trying for a few seasons in one way it another.

Scotty Fastback. Loved how it set up, but was atrocious for me on the greens.

Probably others, but those stick out right now.

every blade ever.

Cobra Bio Cell.

I could not hit that thing if my son's life depended on it!

The G30 irons were that for me. I LOVED the G15s, and played some of my best golf with them. I couldn't make decent contact with the G30 to save my life.

Mashie Hybrids.

Cleveland 588 driver. Loved the look, loved the set up. Spun like a top for me. Same thing with the Srixon 545 driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway Diablo 3 wood. I could only hit it off the tee, just couldn't get any lift off the ground.

I honestly never really care about clubs until they've been in my bag for a long period of time (only club in my bag at the moment like that is my Scotty Newport 2 Pro Plat putter). So I've just never been bothered if certain clubs don't work out for me.

Adams Launch Lab driver. I ponied up the $$, it looked fantastic, but it just was not meant to be with what I needed at the time in a driver.

These seem to be one of those love/hate clubs. People either do really well with them or not so much.
Same with the Altitude hybrons, too.

Couldn't hit a good shot to save my life.

Cleveland classic driver, Scotty Newport II (I wasn't ready) and PM grind wedge... Couldn't hit it to save my life!

Any Titleist metal wood. The irons and wedges I hit just fine but I cant find the sweet spot on the drivers.

Titleist AP2's - just don't get that feeling behind the ball. I have tried with 2 sets. A close second would have been the Cleveland Mashie - so easy to hit, but ALWAYS pulled it.

Mashie Hybrids for me too.

Although really and truly any hybrid. I can hit really good shots with them, but a poor shot is SOO poor.

It was the R11 for me. I'd been playing the R7 forever and finally had the funds to upgrade. The white driver craze was just starting and I thought it was pretty sweet at the time (I never have ended up owning a white driver). So I went to test out drivers 100% convinced that I'd be coming hope with the R11. But the Callaway RazrHawk was so much better for me that there was no way I could justify getting anything else. The RazrHawk stayed in the bag for 4 years and I haven't played a non-Callaway driver since.

M1 for me. I wanted to love it, told myself I would love it because I thought it was gorgeous. Just didn't.

TaylorMade TP forged blades. I don't think I have to explain.

Back