Jason Day's wife injured at Basketball game

Obviously we all feel bad for her but there's an apparent risk involved sitting front row. You can't just ask a player to change the way they play because it's a regular season game lol if Day hit someone would you blame him and say omg it's just the Frys.com why would he even attempt a fade? Lol it happens, no biggie
Perfect example. If LBJ showed up to a non major and Day tanked his wife with a drive do you say Day was at fault for not having situational awareness and enough effort into trying to hit a draw and hits a block push that tanked LBJ's wife? And should have not even attempted such a shot because who was up the right side of the fairway? Absolutely not. Things happen and that's part of the risk of sitting court side.

Sorry, way off base imo. She is fine, she is on the floor and that is life. Let's not make more out of this then needs to be.

I totally agree. Tom Coughlin got put on the ground by one of his own players last Sunday on the sidelines and nobody's making a big deal out of that, as they shouldn't.

I totally agree. Tom Coughlin got put on the ground by one of his own players last Sunday on the sidelines and nobody's making a big deal out of that, as they shouldn't.

And he is old, isn't that ageism :D old people matter too #oldlivesmatter

And he is old, isn't that ageism :D old people matter too #oldlivesmatter

It certainly is! And in California I'm sure we have laws on the books against it!

Accidents happen at any sporting event in regards to people, debris, objects & people flying in to the fans. Lebron was doing his job, no fault on his behalf. If the NBA makes changes because of it, so be it, if not well it's the fan's choice to sit in those seats. Everyone is aware of what 'could' happen if sitting there. I'd put money on the Days will be back in those same seats in any case.

Effort and situational awareness.

Just sayin'. My $.02.

I don't see how jumping 5 rows deep into people is any different than someone who is court side. Both incidents would be dangerous for the player and the fans watching the game.

It's an unfortunate incident that doesn't happen that often. The good news is that Ellie is okay. Lebron obviously felt bad and apologized, but he was doing his job. I'm sure Jason Day has hit an errant ball and had it hit a fan before. It was an accident, nothing more.

Im sure she will be ok.

Accidents happen at any sporting event in regards to people, debris, objects & people flying in to the fans. Lebron was doing his job, no fault on his behalf. If the NBA makes changes because of it, so be it, if not well it's the fan's choice to sit in those seats. Everyone is aware of what 'could' happen if sitting there. I'd put money on the Days will be back in those same seats in any case.
Then maybe it's time. She, and any other 'regular' person, could have been paralyzed by landing wrong.

Hockey put up glass. Then they put up nets. They are putting fan safety first, even thought the tickets plainly say to watch for errant pucks, etc.

Pretty sure the NBA and the team owners don't mind selling $2k seats all year long.

Just sayin'. My $.02.

But he also ran into people...so what happens if that person a couple rows up gets hurt instead, then that's ok?

Lebron did this on purpose. He is a known Jason Day hater...

Then maybe it's time. She, and any other 'regular' person, could have been paralyzed by landing wrong.

Hockey put up glass. Then they put up nets. They are putting fan safety first, even thought the tickets plainly say to watch for errant pucks, etc.

Pretty sure the NBA and the team owners don't mind selling $2k seats all year long.

A puck flying around at sometimes 100+ mph is a lot different though. I don't know the average with regards to the number of times a basketball player runs into a fan in basketball per game, but I'm guessing it's far lower than the averages of puck going into the stands without the glass and nets.

Exactly, this stuff happens all the time, it'll be up to the NBA to figure out how can they mitigate the risk to fans without impairing the 'playability' of the sport.
But as in other sports nothing ever happened until people died, Nascar, Hockey as big examples.

A puck flying around at sometimes 100+ mph is a lot different though. I don't know the average with regards to the number of times a basketball player runs into a fan in basketball per game, but I'm guessing it's far lower than the averages of puck going into the stands without the glass and nets.
Like you mentioned, Im not aware of anyone dying from a courtside collision but people have definitely died from pucks going over the boards which is why the safety measures were put into place. I don't think the nba needs to change anything. As long as Rodman isn't playing

2 years ago my brother got awesome seats for a Brewers game. Literally just off the edge of their dugout. I have never been so relieved after a game because all I could think about was a foul ball coming at me and having no time to move. The 3 other guys we were with had no thoughts our fear of that but I did the whole game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, as excited as I was when I got to the seat, I had that same level of anxiety, that I couldn't turn away during any at bat. We ended up having 3 or 4 foul balls hit our way all in the air thankfully, not line drives

Understand that is the price of sitting 1st row but when is basketball going to move people back further and make that area a safe spot to land. Had LeBron got hurt badly for the season you can beat there would be changes made.

If it's me in that seat, it's a non story. Only reason anyone is talking about it is because it's Jason Day's wife.

Johnny Football was seated a few seats away. LeBron should have run into him instead. He can take a sack.

maybe Jason Day should have taken the charge

This made me lol.

What if he jumps Day's wife and lands on someone in the 5th row. That's not going to feel any better, or has the same potential for injury. Athletes shouldn't have to worry about dodging people or obstacles as part of the game. I remember last year Lebron hit his head on a camera lens and it cut a round lens mark in his scalp. NBA should make the area on the floor safer for spectators and players. Trying so squeeze as many seats into the arena as possible is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And got right back up like the 70 year old badass that he is. 70....! And still the toughest guy on that soft team. #iamagiantsfan

Just sayin'. My $.02.

Its interesting that you cite this as a better example. They both did the exact same thing, they took the play where the ball took them. Wall was able to clear the first few rows because the bounce the ball took kept him at a higher level. Lebron's play was lower and he followed the ball into the stands. I guarantee Wall did not plan any of that and it just happened to work out better than Lebron's play based on where the ball was.

This is nothing more than an unfortunate accident. Thankfully Ellie is doing well.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the NBA for designing a court that allows people to sit inches from the action. There is a risk, and I'll never be one to criticize any player who goes all out for a ball. That's what they are paid to do.

Jordan Spieth would have held up his hand and stopped Lebron dead in his tracks.

Back