Jason Day's wife injured at Basketball game

I saw this from about six angles this morning and have to be the a-hole here.

I realize he's 'in the game' and 'doing his job' and that people 'get what they pay for' by sitting court-side, but......
I think he had every opportunity to NOT just completely plow over a 5'4" petite woman. I've seen plenty of sideline plays where they try to jump over or somehow lessen the blow to save a ball, but in the end, it's just a damn out-of-bounds play in a meaningless game. If it were game six of the Finals, I might think different, but not today.

I realize he's 'in the game' and 'doing his job' and that people 'get what they pay for' by sitting court-side, but......
I think he had every opportunity to NOT just completely plow over a 5'4" petite woman. I've seen plenty of sideline plays where they try to jump over or somehow lessen the blow to save a ball, but in the end, it's just a damn out-of-bounds play in a meaningless game. If it were game six of the Finals, I might think different, but not today.

dude was hussling, I dont think 250 lbs at full sprint can stop quick enough, thats a freight train

I think it's just an extremely unfortunate happening. Highly doubt him or anyone not named Ron Artest would ever do anything to intentionally injure a fan during a game. Not sure why we have to say it's anything but that.

Agree 100%.

That's horrible, I hope she is OK.

dude was hussling, I dont think 250 lbs at full sprint can stop quick enough, thats a freight train
He's also a premier athlete with like a 30" vertical.

maybe Jason Day should have taken the charge

Sorry, but this is absurd.

She is fine, release later in the night. Sir front row and that is what you get

She is fine, release later in the night. Sir front row and that is what you get
Glad she is ok. Agree with the perils of sitting of sitting close to the action. I had front row seats at the end of the dugout for an Orioles game last year, and I watched every single pitch knowing the dangers of a foul ball coming at 100 plus MPH.

Agree 100%.

Sorry, way off base imo. She is fine, she is on the floor and that is life. Let's not make more out of this then needs to be.

Obviously we all feel bad for her but there's an apparent risk involved sitting front row. You can't just ask a player to change the way they play because it's a regular season game lol if Day hit someone would you blame him and say omg it's just the Frys.com why would he even attempt a fade? Lol it happens, no biggie

The only reason why this is even a story is because it's a famous golfer's wife. Had it been Joe Blow's wife it maybe would have made sports center. I'm glad she's OK but to say he should have pulled up or done something differently is ridiculous. He gets paid an enormous amount of money to play basketball at the highest level. To tell a professional athlete to not hustle after a loose ball is crazy.

I'm sure LeBron totally saw who he was about to run into as he chased after that loose ball. (Not)

I think this is similar to the netting at baseball games. It looks like the court is raised from the floor and the court side seats can fall off a ledge if they're knocked over. Had this been a level floor all the way back, I don't think the impact is as bad.

Hope she's ok.

The only reason why this is even a story is because it's a famous golfer's wife. Had it been Joe Blow's wife it maybe would have made sports center. I'm glad she's OK but to say he should have pulled up or done something differently is ridiculous. He gets paid an enormous amount of money to play basketball at the highest level. To tell a professional athlete to not hustle after a loose ball is crazy.

And then if he doesn't hustle everyone would call him out for not hustling haha. Ahhh the good ole double edge sword.

Not to mention if he tried to abruptly pull up or completely jump over her because he recognizes it's Day's wife and he injures himself?? No way.

This kind of thing just happens. Lebron was making the play he needed to and she just happened to be in the way. Honestly surprised this don't happen more but I can't say anyone is to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Effort and situational awareness.

Just sayin'. My $.02.

Nothing to see here. It's basketball. If lebron doesn't hustle then people will say all the stereotypical things about NBA players not hustling or playing hard.
I had a similar situation like 3 summers ago. I was recruiting at a high school summer shootout and was sitting near mid court. While writing some notes (like 5 seconds) their was a loose ball or something and as I looked up a player was already barreling at me. He hit me and I flew back off my chair a good 10 feet. I wasn't hurt but super sore the next day. Can't even Imogene how much it would hurt with a player that size.
Their is an inherent risk sitting in those seats. That is why I never understand when you see super small children sitting court side.

The Day's should sue the NBA and The King, it's the American Way! :D

Glad she is ok. Agree with the perils of sitting of sitting close to the action. I had front row seats at the end of the dugout for an Orioles game last year, and I watched every single pitch knowing the dangers of a foul ball coming at 100 plus MPH.

2 years ago my brother got awesome seats for a Brewers game. Literally just off the edge of their dugout. I have never been so relieved after a game because all I could think about was a foul ball coming at me and having no time to move. The 3 other guys we were with had no thoughts our fear of that but I did the whole game.

I got a kick out of a comment about this, that since this incident involved Lebron, the refs probably called a foul on Day's wife.

The Day's should sue the NBA and The King, it's the American Way! :D

But he from down under. I think toad needs a hug :D

Not to mention if he tried to abruptly pull up or completely jump over her because he recognizes it's Day's wife and he injures himself?? No way.

that's the only point to make here. to say someone sitting courtside and getting bowled over and injured is just what happens is not quite accurate if the league should be doing more to protect spectators. we didn't always have nets behind the catcher in baseball. as the game and safety exists now, lebron should do what he can to avoid hurting somebody, but if he has no safe bail-out i have no issue with what he did. if he jumps and lands awkwardly, his career could be over. not worth it.

Back