UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

As high as those numbers are they are still in line with a handful of the new iron releases from multiple OEMs. Heck, AP2s are 1700 up here...off the rack.

Yep, and for a fully custom setup too. It's really not a bad deal - the same setup would cost me about $500 more from MG once you factor in taxes, duty, and the exchange rate.

Really, it's just my inner cheapskate kicking and screaming, honestly. I have almost a pathological aversion to paying good money for things, and I need to get over it.

Yep, and for a fully custom setup too. It's really not a bad deal - the same setup would cost me about $500 more from MG once you factor in taxes, duty, and the exchange rate.

Really, it's just my inner cheapskate kicking and screaming, honestly. I have almost a pathological aversion to paying good money for things, and I need to get over it.

Buy once, cry once.

You're halfway there. You obviously thought the fitting was worth it now you just need to purchase the clubs, you only live once.

My Hogan irons came with UST Recoil shafts but I didn't give them enough of a chance.

I'm one of those people who struggles with change when it comes to equipment.

When I got older and needed to go lighter than my forever favorite Aldila NV Pro 105s, I ended up with Aldila NV Comp 85s that are visually almost identical and play very similarly. In short order, that shaft ended up in the new Hogan irons as well.

I hear nothing but good things about the UST Recoil line. I would have gotten used to them. I'm just a hard head.

If anyone is curious, I got the following reply from Danny regarding my Recoil vs Prototype question:

"Recoil Prototype 95 has lower torque and is about ½ flex stiffer than Recoil 95. The result is a “firmer” feel vs. Recoil. You should see similar launch and spin."

So, it seems to me that if you hard stepped the standard Recoil once, you'd have a pretty similar shaft barring the torque differences (which are less than a degree). I asked Danny what he thinks hard stepping would do.

If anyone is curious, I got the following reply from Danny regarding my Recoil vs Prototype question:

"Recoil Prototype 95 has lower torque and is about ½ flex stiffer than Recoil 95. The result is a “firmer” feel vs. Recoil. You should see similar launch and spin."

So, it seems to me that if you hard stepped the standard Recoil once, you'd have a pretty similar shaft barring the torque differences (which are less than a degree). I asked Danny what he thinks hard stepping would do.

If the torque in iron shafts is at all similar to driver shafts then I would think hard stepping would do very little produce the same feeling you got from the protos. At the same time .5 a degree is not something you would notice at all. The only thing you would have to worry about is convincing yourself there isnt a difference. (not an easy task haha)

If the torque in iron shafts is at all similar to driver shafts then I would think hard stepping would do very little produce the same feeling you got from the protos. At the same time .5 a degree is not something you would notice at all. The only thing you would have to worry about is convincing yourself there isnt a difference. (not an easy task haha)

Yeah the hard stepping won't affect the torque, I meant the inherent difference between the torque of the Proto and the standard Recoil. But like I said, it's less than a degree so not much at all. The hard stepping (at least in my mind) would close the flex gap and make it closer to the Prototype. And would sure save me a hell of a lot of cash.

I hear you man. I have seen the regular ones brand new for under 300 but hard to find the protos from a reputable place for under 600 it seems.

Yeah the hard stepping won't affect the torque, I meant the inherent difference between the torque of the Proto and the standard Recoil. But like I said, it's less than a degree so not much at all. The hard stepping (at least in my mind) would close the flex gap and make it closer to the Prototype. And would sure save me a hell of a lot of cash.

It seems I jumped the gun with my last post.
Great news. Sounds like for the $ difference the 95's hard stepped should fill the bill. I think you have a little project to get started. Someone is on his way to a lower cap.....

It seems I jumped the gun with my last post.
Great news. Sounds like for the $ difference the 95's hard stepped should fill the bill. I think you have a little project to get started. Someone is on his way to a lower cap.....
Haha we'll see. I want to wait to see what Danny thinks of hard stepping them, but it makes sense in my brain anyways...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Haha we'll see. I want to wait to see what Danny thinks of hard stepping them, but it makes sense in my brain anyways...

Any chance you could get one club made up to try and see how it feels before purchasing the whole set?
Might be something to try but it sounds like it might be overthink on my part, again.

Any chance you could get one club made up to try and see how it feels before purchasing the whole set?
Might be something to try but it sounds like it might be overthink on my part, again.

It's possible - I'll have to discuss with the fitter. Danny got back to me on the hard stepping question:

"CPM or butt flex, they would be closer if you hard step once. Since Recoil 95 has higher torque, it will still feel “softer” since the mid-section is slightly softer as well.

In testing with golfers, we see similar launch and spin but each golfers react differently to how the shaft “feels”.

I personally play Recoil 95 F4 because of “softer feel”. The reason I put some of these words in quotes is because every golfer feels something differently."

Based on this, I'm thinking that the Recoils hard stepped once might just be the ticket. I would love to get a 6 or 7 iron with the standard Recoil first just to verify though, maybe off the Bay if I can find one for cheap.

Addendum = he asked for a little more detail on my launch data, and after hearing that he thinks going straight in with the standard Recoil would be best rather than hard stepping.

Off to eBay to try and find a cheap tester club to try!

Addendum = he asked for a little more detail on my launch data, and after hearing that he thinks going straight in with the standard Recoil would be best rather than hard stepping.

Off to eBay to try and find a cheap tester club to try!

Could you get the Bridgestone test drive package w/ the DPF and use that? Can't re-use the shaft or anything, but that should be a similar-ish head.

Could you get the Bridgestone test drive package w/ the DPF and use that? Can't re-use the shaft or anything, but that should be a similar-ish head.

I hadn't thought about that - that's a solid idea. I'll have to look into it.

How does it work? Do you just pay for shipping and they put a hold on your card that's refunded once you return the clubs?

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about that - that's a solid idea. I'll have to look into it.

How does it work? Do you just pay for shipping and they put a hold on your card that's refunded once you return the clubs?
I may have a solution for you. I just bought a set of regular 850s that should be here next week. The Recoil 95 for the 7 iron I bought came in today, and I ordered the 6 iron shaft when I picked it up. But it is back ordered until 1/20. So, it will be a few weeks before I will be able to get all the clubs reshafted. I could go ahead and get the 7 iron done and let you borrow it for a week or so to see what you think.

I may have a solution for you. I just bought a set of regular 850s that should be here next week. The Recoil 95 for the 7 iron I bought came in today, and I ordered the 6 iron shaft when I picked it up. But it is back ordered until 1/20. So, it will be a few weeks before I will be able to get all the clubs reshafted. I could go ahead and get the 7 iron done and let you borrow it for a week or so to see what you think.
That is a really generous offer man, I really appreciate it. I'm just debating whether I want to do the Bstone program, since the J15DF's are a little closer in design to the 850F than the standard 850.

I will let you know though, and again I really do appreciate the offer immensely!

Last edited:
By way of an update - tonight I am going to rent some J15 DF 5 and 7 irons from Bridgestone's Test Drive with Recoil 95 F4 shafts and Aerotech i95 stiff shafts to do a little comparison with my current setup and see whether I can equal the results of the Prototype 95 from my fitting and get an idea of the feel difference. I think this will give me the info I need to make a decision on whether I can substitute the cheaper Recoils/Aerotechs or if I need to pony up for the Protos. Should be fun! I plan on setting up a lesson as well once I receive, so that I can seek some advice from my pro (along with get a little help on a few swing things).

Taking Danny up on his generous offer to come out and compare numbers on the 95 and Proto. Going out there Friday mid day. Really looking forward to it! Thanks Danny!

Taking Danny up on his generous offer to come out and compare numbers on the 95 and Proto. Going out there Friday mid day. Really looking forward to it! Thanks Danny!
That is awesome man! Let us know how it goes!

My Bridgestone test clubs are on their way. Interestingly though - the builder I quoted the Protos through gave me a quote on the standard Recoils and it's only $155/club vs $165/club. He says he gets "super prices on the Protos".

I don't necessarily doubt him, but damn, I sure thought the price would drop a little more going to standard Recoil.

Just got back from seeing Danny Le, and got some great feedback and numbers on the Recoil 95 vs the Proto. Here are some key stats between the two using a Titleist AP1, closest club head he had to the Mizuno 850s I am putting them in.

a9b93d632fd3441370ca97119a9b6e51.jpg

Basically for me it boiled down to feel and dispersion. The 95s had a little tighter dispersion and felt a little "softer", which I prefer. The Protos were not harsh or boardy by any means, just a little firmer. So if you like a little firmer feel, the Proto may be a better choice. Carry, ball speed, launch, and spin were real close. Proto launch a degree or so lower with 200 or so high RPMs more spin. Which basically canceled each other out from a carry standpoint.

I I also tried the 110, but did not get as good of results on the couple of shots I hit. I will be putting 125s in my wedges though.

Overall, love these shafts and just what I am looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8c8437bbb9decc5c56e854a4fead9c0b.jpg

Test drives are in. This will be fun!

Back