What do you guys think about this ordeal in Texas?

The parents are enablers and the son is a spoiled brat, when caught the son should serve every last day of the original sentence with a little more time for thinking thrown in for breaking probation. Obviously he has learned nothing from this tragic part of his life.

Our "justice" system is to blame. The Law is very clear. You commit vehicular manslaughter, you go to jail. If under the influence, it's for life.
Except, drunk driving is a state law, there are no federal laws regarding drunk driving and the relative punishments.

This was featured on a "48 Hours" or something. It is disgusting.

What do you guys think about this ordeal in Texas?

His parents just cost him years in jail, which he should have been in already, by hiding him. He will be caught and hopefully he will be brought before a better/stronger judge this time. He has caused such pain for the families of those he killed.

His parents just cost him years in jail, which he should have been in already, by hiding him. He will be caught and hopefully he will be brought before a better/stronger judge this time. He has caused such pain for the families of those he killed.
The worry is that he is out of the country. Which sounds like a really dumb plan. But, apparently, that hasn't been a factor in the kid's life to this point.

I dont know what his parents having money has to do with this?
We see rich, poor, young and old make the same stupid mistakes.

+1 to this... while money may have helped, the enabling behavior of the parents does not require wealth...

First the judge needs to be disbarred. You don't kill 4 people and get probation.
It's never about whether you are guilty anymore. It's all about who has enough money to buy their way out of trouble.
Whoever has the most money wins. (for the most part)

+1 to this... while money may have helped, the enabling behavior of the parents does not require wealth...
You're not wrong. But the crux of why he wasn't punished for killing 4 people while driving drunk underage was that he came from a wealthy household and had "affluenza " and didn't understand there were consequences for his actions.

The money comes in because of the defense the lawyer used to get him out....he had "Afluenza" which is why he thought he could do what he wanted.

You're not wrong. But the crux of why he wasn't punished for killing 4 people while driving drunk underage was that he came from a wealthy household and had "affluenza " and didn't understand there were consequences for his actions.

Then blame the lawyer.
The whole "he thought he could do what he wanted" is no different than the inner city gang members.

The biggest fallacy is "well, I didn't know that was the Law". It makes no difference one way or another. You broke the Law. Whether you knew you did or not should have no bearing on the matter in this case.

The money comes in because of the defense the lawyer used to get him out....he had "Afluenza" which is why he thought he could do what he wanted.

That's where the Judge comes in. There is no precedence and the Judge could have said, "That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Straight to Jail!"

Then blame the lawyer.
The whole "he thought he could do what he wanted" is no different than the inner city gang members.

If you keep getting out of stuff because your parents have money and they give you anything then his parents having money has enabled this behavior, that and them just being horrible parents. It's a mix of bad parenting by people with money. The gang member with no money might commit the same act but he would be locked up right now.

Then blame the lawyer.
I agree with you. You are correct. The initial ruling was a farce and insulting. But that was the crux of the wealthy upbringing was the crux of the argument and ruling.

If you keep getting out of stuff because your parents have money and they give you anything then his parents having money has enabled this behavior, that and them just being horrible parents. It's a mix of bad parenting by people with money. The gang member with no money might commit the same act but he would be locked up right now.

Maybe, maybe not. Its not as if the gang member does not get defense council.

THis country seems to be headed this way more and more. Blame the wrong people for the actions. The actions are the actions and everybody knows right from wrong at this age.

Maybe, maybe not. Its not as if the gang member does not get defense council.

no city issued defense attorney is going to the same level of trying to get someone off for something that was 100% against the law. At best they will plea for shorter term plus probation.

no city issued defense attorney is going to the same level of trying to get someone off for something that was 100% against the law. At best they will plea for shorter term plus probation.

Jumping to conclusions.
While I dont disagree that a paid for defense CAN be better, there are many pro bono cases and many public defended cases that say the same can happen.

Spoiled? Yes. But blaming the parents success for the actions of the individual is crazy to me. The same crimes are committed all of the time by all different people from all different walks of life.

Typical new culture however (not directed at a poster, but my thoughts on society as a whole). Poor or rich can think they are above the law.

This whole case was bought and paid for. A complete farce .. Complete freaking farce

and now the judge decides not to run for re election this term ? Wow .. Really !!!!!

the injured and the 4 who lost their lives / and families . My heart goes out to you . The responses against this kid I'm reading are way way way over that top . And not warranted to be posted here , but I do agree with almost all of them

Back