Backyard putting green

mattglavin

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I’m pretty new to the group but thought I’d reach out for some advice. I’m looking to build a putting green and a small sand trap in my back yard. I was leaning towards a synthetic turf but wanted to get the groups opinion on synthetic vs. natural. The area isn’t 100% sunny.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on synthetic turf companies? Thanks all!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any experience, but based on what I see, I'd go synthetic every day and twice on Sunday. Unless you're retired and will take great joy out of constant maintenance of your grass green, you likely have no chance to maintain a quality surface. Even then the number of disasters which can befall your extremely expensive green are too numerous to list.

Even people who can afford to have their private club grounds crew come over and maintain their private grass greens, such as PGA Tour pros, put in synthetic.

A company I heard advertised all the time on PGA Tour Radio who builds these synthetic greens is Celebrity Greens.

I have bent grass in the backyard. It grows fast and I have to cut it every few days and roll it if I want to putt on it during the week. The good thing is the kids can run around on it as it’s soft like carpet. All that maintenance can be a pain though. If you have pets synthetic grass could be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love reading about these projects. Curious how fast you can get them to roll?

Love reading about these projects. Curious how fast you can get them to roll?
Mine is sand based and infill infused so I have to tune it up over time. I have the equipment to do it myself.

So peak, I've had it stimp at 14 downhill (just a 1.5° pitch), 11.5 side to side, 10.5 up.

Could get it faster with a touch more infill and rolling more but it feels unrealistic beyond the above.

Back