The unexpected flyer from the rough.

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Ive touched on this topic (sort of) once before a while back.
So your off the fairway and all set up to hit an approach. Perhaps a pw or a 9,8 whatever. Bam, you hit a great shot right at the pin/green but then only to see it fly 20 or so yrds past your normal yardage and over the green. feel good, looks great :) and then 3/4 the way through its flight you realize it just aint dropping in :( and now your of or over the rear and perhaps often enough even in some trouble and maybe even penal trouble depending on what its like behind the green.

I get why the flyer happens. Not enough grass to slow down the swing but just enough grass to cause little spin is one of the things. Then there is moister, grass grown direction, AOA and other factors etc,..

But imo its hard to recognize just when you will get one. And even if you do have a good sense for when the situation is favorable towards one, you simply may not be thinking and/or looking out for one. Lets face it, most us amateurs are simply thinking to put a good consistent strike on the ball and just trying to make our way on to the greens without failing our swings. And so we often just forget about this. But I must say I do often enough get a flyer. Not every round and may not see one for a couple/few rounds but then I might see two in one round. Whatever the case it can be something quite annoying when it does happen.

Your like "what the heck man I was only 140 yards out and over flew my 9i by 20 yrds past and into the woods" . If happens enough time you then of course know right away you just had another flyer. And you think to yourself "I should have paid closer attention to recognize the scenario I hit from". And then you think " well, next time I have to remember". But honestly perhaps a couple or even few rounds later or even several holes later when you may do it again , you just don't remember nor think of it again but of course there it is.

honestly, i never get fliers. i don't know if that's because of the grass i play down here in orlando?

honestly, i never get fliers. i don't know if that's because of the grass i play down here in orlando?

I dunno...I caught a 9 iron out of the first cut at Bay Hill and flew it about 175 over a pin that was at 155...that was in Orlando lol. I believe in the flier...

I dunno...I caught a 9 iron out of the first cut at Bay Hill and flew it about 175 over a pin that was at 155...that was in Orlando lol. I believe in the flier...

you strong like bull. i weak like newborn chicken.

I tend to cause my own fliers in those situations.

I frequently go up a club, anticipating a poor shot from the rough, followed promptly by a nice clean shot going 20 yards past the pin.:banghead:

or maybe your just that good at coming in steeper and not catching enough grass between ball and club.

I don’t have any unexpected fliers. If I see grass behind the ball I anticipate the flier most of the time in the rough and play for it especially if going long is now bueno.

This has been happening alot to me lately. Drives me nuts but don't understand why it's happening so much. Some I think is my clubs are just going a bit further in the prime of summer playing. I'm going to use the launch monitor soon and hit my Z-Stars into a net to see what my carry distance is doing.

i can't think of the last time I had a flyer. More often than not out of the rough, I get the knuckle ball that falls out of the sky unusually quick.

I think if a person can predict flyer lies all the time they should probably be able to lock down a caddie job on tour, because not even those guys get it right every time. They’re just so hard to anticipate, I would guess that playing your stock shot would pay off more often than not.

Honestly it isn't that hard to guess when you might get one. The exact distance gained gets a little harder. From there just lean towards the safe miss, back pin, long sucks then play for a 20 yard flier and if you don't get it then you have a long putt. I think of it as 1 ore part of the equation similar to wind. I do understand the frustration of hitting a perfect shot, or so you think that goes over the green. all part of golf.

Really the only time I catch a flyer is from fluffy rough with the ball sitting up.
I don't think I have ever had one from the fairway.

I get them from thicker rough. I'm assuming it has to do with how I make the club impact the ball, but mine are usually a lower ball flight than I normally see that almost look knuckleball-ish. They tend to land near the pin but come in low and hot, which makes them roll out the additional distance.

I don't typically get the high, air-mail ball flight, despite hitting the ball 35-40 yards in peak height from a clean lie.

I knew of the existence of flyers, but never really encountered them in Arizona, because the rough there is rarely very thick. Since moving to the southeast, I've developed an appreciation for looking to make sure I pulled the right club from my bag from time to time.

My biggest thing is when I think the ball might be "sitting down" in the rough to where I might have to get down after it, I check to make sure it really is sitting down as much as it can be, especially if it rolled into the rough rather than bouncing in. I'll see how far down my foot goes into the rough somewhere nearby, and if my ball isn't really sitting all the way down, then I'm aware that if I get down after it, there's a good chance I'll make contact higher on the face or it'll slide up the face and come out with very little spin. If I think that's the case, I can't say I'll necessarily take less club, but it's just another factor.

Hitting the ball into the rough is supposed to be penal. The irony is that making the best possible contact from the rough can be just as penal as making poor contact. Nothing is stopping you from hitting an easy punch out of the cabbage and chipping on. If you think that a ball might airmail the green, that might be the right play.

I had a fairway flier the other day. Or so I thought. 135 out to middle, into a slight wind but almost negligible. Pin front so probably 130. Perfect smooth GW. Struck it perfect and it was all over the flag. I mean it came down dead on line. Not seeing it on the green I got a little excited thinking I dunked it. Looked at my son and said "did that go in??" He said "yeah I think so, I don't see it and it was dead on the flag".

Get up there and it's not in the hole. Not on the green. The fronts wide open so I know it's not there. Only option is back. Which drops off OB and onto a road. I see it there in the ditch. What??

Now I fully admit this is somewhat my fault but I paced off from the 150 stake in the middle of the fairway to where I was. Should have been within 1 yard +/- to center of green with only 15 paces. So I find my divot and my rangefinder. This green is only 15 yards deep and from my divot to the flag was 108. To the OB stake it was 128, should have been about 155 based on their posted yardages. Grrr. Turned a birdie into a bogey real quick. Most courses lie about the overall length of the hole, this one lies about how far out from the green you are. I won't be back.

I knew of the existence of flyers, but never really encountered them in Arizona, because the rough there is rarely very thick. Since moving to the southeast, I've developed an appreciation for looking to make sure I pulled the right club from my bag from time to time.

My biggest thing is when I think the ball might be "sitting down" in the rough to where I might have to get down after it, I check to make sure it really is sitting down as much as it can be, especially if it rolled into the rough rather than bouncing in. I'll see how far down my foot goes into the rough somewhere nearby, and if my ball isn't really sitting all the way down, then I'm aware that if I get down after it, there's a good chance I'll make contact higher on the face or it'll slide up the face and come out with very little spin. If I think that's the case, I can't say I'll necessarily take less club, but it's just another factor.

Hitting the ball into the rough is supposed to be penal. The irony is that making the best possible contact from the rough can be just as penal as making poor contact. Nothing is stopping you from hitting an easy punch out of the cabbage and chipping on. If you think that a ball might airmail the green, that might be the right play.

its not really when the ball is down in thick rough. That's when usually the club slows down too much and we need the extra club length. But unless sitting high then is a different story. But often its when the rough is not so thick and the club isn't slowed down at all by the grass yet just enough grass is behind the ball.

I hit one last round, but I’m not sure if I flushed it or didn’t get backspin because of it being in the first cut. Narrow green, bunker short, perfect distance for the club, perfect contact, and flew the green. Ended up next to an out of bounds fence so I had to take a drop. Lucky to save a bogey.

I usually assume I lose yardage hitting out of the rough, but some of you are suggesting the opposite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my ball is sitting slightly down in rough I always account for a flier. The main reason for fliers is spin or lack there of. That is why you get so much roll out from hitting out of the rough.

IMO, recognizing lies that 'might' yield a flier is just one of those things that happens when you get to your ball. Right there with how far? is the ball on a slope? turf hard or wet? greens holding? wind?pin? where is trouble? safe? and a myriad of other things. I can't exactly predict which lies WILL yield a flier, or HOW MUCH, but I do notice which ones MIGHT. I'm guessing less than 20% of those actually result in a flier for me so I'm not great at it. But, if it's extremely penal long and I think I might get a flier I accept I'll likely come up short and hit less club. Unless, of course, match situation dictates otherwise.

Back