Bloodline Golf RG-1 Mallet Putter - THP Review

Re: the Bloodline grip

Yes it's round. We realize that 99.9% of the putter grips that major suppliers sell have a flat on the top for your thumbs.
Yes it's less durable. We realize that most people are used to being able to jam their putter into their bag without worrying about the grip.
Yes, many people agree that it doesn't feel as luxurious/comfy as what comes standard on the most popular premium putters (that are less expensive than Bloodline).

However, the Bloodline grip AND shaft AND butt cap have a combined weight that (in most cases) is less than the weight of only the grip that is on these other putters... This dramatic reduction in weight is a key piece of why the Bloodline putter has performance characteristics that can provide a meaningful difference.
So, during development, we had to choose what was more important:
perfect alignment of the putter face + added confidence + consistent hand position
OR
a flat spot for your thumbs + a more durable grip + a more luxurious looking/feeling grip

The tennis wrap style is easily replaceable, relatively inexpensive, and (despite all its differences) it doesn't seem to be impeding anyone with an open mind from making a ton of putts. Now, I am not saying that this is the only grip you will ever see on Bloodline putters. However, for now, the grip that we are using provides the functionality we need to provide breakthrough performance for the putter as a whole.

Love the honesty and openness here, thank you Larry, seriously.

The why makes a lot of sense given the design when you have it in hand, I made the kids pick their putter up holding the head and then the Bloodline and the reactions were priceless because the shaft/grip combo is wicked light. In and out of my bag as it has been so much I can definitely see the wear issues, but knowing its a simple re-wrap does ease that for me, but as we know everyone will vary there.

The performance aspect of it all is there, in pacing in particular with the sample sizes I've been working with this past week has been quite noticeable for those who's hands I've put it into...particularly the less confident or accomplished putters.

How cool is it that Larry from Bloodline hopped in here? Pretty freaking cool imo, and if you have any questions throw them up!

For me, I've been rolling the RG-1 a ton. While I still think on a personal level the wide flange blade would be more comfortable to me, I've had fun with the mallet. The red is still the best red finish I've seen, and I'm not knocking TM or Odyssey when I say it, but it's what I wish their red finishes were quality wise, but its the way the red contrasts the green combined with the thick alignment lines really appeal to the eye for setting up to one's line. I take pride in my putting and alignment, and work hard on it, so it was seamlessly comfortable for me, but the real tell has been putting it into the hands of learning golfers, alignment has improved a lot for some of them, night and day really.

The feel is still not my personal favorite with the firmness, but the roll is excellent, and to be honest the balance has become enjoyable. With the balance point so low into the neck/head, I expected to feel like I was putting with a hammer as the Bridgestone putters were like for me at times, but that's not been the feeling here.

The grip wrap is wearing a bit for me, but I also have 18 clubs in the bag right now because of reviews so it's not the most fair sample. I will say though, I do pay attention to where I put it into the bag much more than my gamers because the shaft feels so delicate Ive got a fear of crushing it. Also, I kinda like putting with a round grip. A lot.

More soon!!!

Fire away on those questions, comments, and concerns!

well yeah, one guy is likeable, and the other is Vijay haha

Even though I've read that it's best to avoid Els when he's been drinking and wants to have fun ... (rumors of he likes to fight).

J,
Are you using the protective tube that putter was shipped with in your bag?
You must use the tube or the grip will unwrap and can easily get damaged during transport and/or from other clubs.

J,
Are you using the protective tube that putter was shipped with in your bag?
You must use the tube or the grip will unwrap and can easily get damaged during transport and/or from other clubs.

Hahaha, initially, I was admittedly not. The past week though, I have indeed been. Savvy move including that BTW.

Yeah, indoors they were great at it, outdoors on a non level surface, no bueno. I had both the blade and mid-mallet at one point trying to make it work for me, but too much I couldn't get beyond. The pool noodle grip was one, and wildly I would say this grip which is just a wider shaft diameter and grip tape feels better than that one did.

If you like pool noodles, get it! lol

Seriously though, the steel shafted versions showed it was a really good putter head, but I'm way off track now, back the the Bloodline! lol

The pool noodle was certainly deserving of the criticism it received, but honestly if this Bloodline came with one I might be all over it. I can't get past that grip.

We've discussed a lot about grip shape helping deliver a square club face, and I do believe in that. I'll give them that this putter has to be the easiest to line up on the market, but what good is that if you can't keep it square through impact? What are your thoughts on that, James? Do you see anything unusual happening on the way to the ball due to the size or shape of the grip?

The pool noodle was certainly deserving of the criticism it received, but honestly if this Bloodline came with one I might be all over it. I can't get past that grip.

We've discussed a lot about grip shape helping deliver a square club face, and I do believe in that. I'll give them that this putter has to be the easiest to line up on the market, but what good is that if you can't keep it square through impact? What are your thoughts on that, James? Do you see anything unusual happening on the way to the ball due to the size or shape of the grip?

I'll say this, I prefer the wrap to the pool noodle by a large margin, and I didn't think that would be the case until I actually got out on the course with it.

I've had no issues with the round grip and setting the putter up face angle wise, but the shape honestly makes that aspect pretty self intuitive and repeatable.

I'll say this, I prefer the wrap to the pool noodle by a large margin, and I didn't think that would be the case until I actually got out on the course with it.

I've had no issues with the round grip and setting the putter up face angle wise, but the shape honestly makes that aspect pretty self intuitive and repeatable.

Good to hear, thanks!

I have started writing this review now but wanted to reiterate a few thoughts that I have in here.

1) The red is pretty cool. I was a hater of the trend, and still am on several other red finisheds out there, but this is quality.

2) The roll is as good as any other putter I have used. Feel will be super subjective with the firmness, but the roll is true and the reaction on misses for roll and direction is pretty stellar.

3) Lining up the putts from behind is still an option that I personally don't prefer, but its cool that you can, particularly on those knee knockers. I do see the potential benefit from an eye dominance issue for a golfer by lining them up from behind, but as with most things that are different than the "norm", it will be hit and miss from user to user. I know I have a couple HS kids that are drooling over the putter for the alignment reason alone.

4) Though on a personal level I would get on with the wide flange blade more, this is a really good mallet shape that will appease even the pickiest of maller fans, its a good blend of a lot of things people who roll mallets look for.

I'm excited for people to read the review when it goes up in the coming week or so, but if you have any Q's, throw them up here and lets talk shop!

I have started writing this review now but wanted to reiterate a few thoughts that I have in here.

1) The red is pretty cool. I was a hater of the trend, and still am on several other red finisheds out there, but this is quality.

2) The roll is as good as any other putter I have used. Feel will be super subjective with the firmness, but the roll is true and the reaction on misses for roll and direction is pretty stellar.

3) Lining up the putts from behind is still an option that I personally don't prefer, but its cool that you can, particularly on those knee knockers. I do see the potential benefit from an eye dominance issue for a golfer by lining them up from behind, but as with most things that are different than the "norm", it will be hit and miss from user to user. I know I have a couple HS kids that are drooling over the putter for the alignment reason alone.

4) Though on a personal level I would get on with the wide flange blade more, this is a really good mallet shape that will appease even the pickiest of maller fans, its a good blend of a lot of things people who roll mallets look for.

I'm excited for people to read the review when it goes up in the coming week or so, but if you have any Q's, throw them up here and lets talk shop!

As to #3, as someone who is very much right eye dominant and tends to line up to the right with all of the clubs, getting a feeling for what on line looked like without something like the triangulator would be great on the practice green. Don't think I'd use it in round so much, but that aspect is definitely interesting.

@lcb3 Thank you for stopping by.

Two thoughts come to mind right away.
1)Bloodline has set the bar for what red should look like on a putter.
2) With that face milling I still can't wrap my head around "firm".

Looking forward to reading your review.

@lcb3 Thank you for stopping by.

Two thoughts come to mind right away.
1)Bloodline has set the bar for what red should look like on a putter.
2) With that face milling I still can't wrap my head around "firm".

Looking forward to reading your review.
It surprised me as well, because it's some aggggrrrreeeessssive face milling and the surface area contact point reduction is real, but there maintains a true level of firmness to it. Not clicky or clacky (technical terms haha) but firm.

The roll though is legit.

James that was a solid read. Just going by your pics, I really enjoy the looking the satin red finish they have here.

James that was a solid read. Just going by your pics, I really enjoy the looking the satin red finish they have here.

Appreciate the bump and the comment my friend.

Great write-up James! Looks like a really fun putter and I am really intrigued with the weight distribution as I typically play heavier putters for added stability and feel. As you suggested and from the photos, the finish looks immaculate... especially considering all the grooves or milling on the crown. Looks easy to align as well. I'll be interested to hear any of your other takeaways and see feedback on the other models. I love seeing companies rethink design from top to bottom. This looks intriguing.

Any feedback on how it performed for you on short vs long putts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am kinda of disappointed with Bloodline and their website. I went to California and made time to visit one of the locations listed on the website to try the putter. Both places I called didn't offer the putter to demo. I emailed Bloodline about the issue and have yet to receive an answer.
That's a bummer, might try reaching out via social media as well, they're extremely active there.

Great write-up James! Looks like a really fun putter and I am really intrigued with the weight distribution as I typically play heavier putters for added stability and feel. As you suggested and from the photos, the finish looks immaculate... especially considering all the grooves or milling on the crown. Looks easy to align as well. I'll be interested to hear any of your other takeaways and see feedback on the other models. I love seeing companies rethink design from top to bottom. This looks intriguing.

Any feedback on how it performed for you on short vs long putts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Distance control on both were consistent, but it imo shined most on longer putts for pace control.

Got to see one of these in action yesterday (RJ1) and it was interesting to watch. Watching it being lined up then moving away and looking at it from behind to see how you are aligned. Was interesting. Unfortunately it was windy so many times the putter was blown over.

Fun review/putter.

The design works, the feel is a little different, but if you can get past the uniqueness of the grip it’s a fun putter.

Fun review/putter.

The design works, the feel is a little different, but if you can get past the uniqueness of the grip it’s a fun putter.

Very light. I didn’t mess around w/ it much cause I’ve been putting well lately but was fun to see.

I’m going to play this tomorrow.

Operation “mallet 2021” is beginning auditions.
Didn’t get out today. Sad.

Tomorrow though it’s on, and this is in the bag and ready.

06619C9A-AF33-4F2C-A450-DA4180E1E201.jpeg

Back