Bloodline Golf RG-1 Mallet Putter - THP Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Though not in hand yet, there's no better time than the present to get the ball rolling. Coming into Oklahoma for review is the Bloodline RG-1 Mallet Putter.

Now, some of you are going "What's a Bloodline?", while others recognize the name because of the PGA Tour use they have gotten from the likes of the Big Easy himself. A key factor here, this isn't a brand started up by flash in the pan entrepreneurs, there is some serious industry history and clout behind Bloodline. The company was founded by Brad Adams and Larry Bischmann, Adams is the former Sr. VP at Odyssey Golf (credited for being in on the development of the famous Odyssey insert material design) and his father actually founded TaylorMade Golf, while Bischmann played a major role in the marketing team that brought TM to the #1 Driver in Golf status as well as spearheading the launch of the Diamana shaft brand. Like I said, these aren't rookies, these are heavy hitters.

The putters themselves stand out because of the bright red finish, hence the Bloodline name, that is contrasted by the unique hosel/neck design. The putters are made of CNC Anodized aluminum with a stainless steel sole insert along with the companies grooved face technology. The hosels/necks are machined aluminum as well and actually are interchangable allowing for quick changes and fitting tweaks. The real design difference though starts with the shaft and grip, in which the ultra light carbon fiber shaft and less than 50 gram oversized grip essentially meld into one another allowing the heavier 395 (in the case of the mallet) head weight to move the balance point much lower improving stability and giving it that oh so wild ability to stand up...on its own.

Different is the name of the game here, and it should be fun to get in for review. The following will be the information on the RG-1 Mallet model (they also have an RJ-1 Blade) from the company as well as some stock images until I get the putter in hand, and in the photo booth.

Bloodline on the RG-1 Mallet Putter:

Revolutionary technology in a familiar head shape

Bloodline's RG-1 Mallet features the potent performance benefit of being able to stand on its own behind the ball on the putting green. Select between:

32", 33", 34" (standard), 35", 36" and custom lengths
69.5°· (standard), 71.5° (upright), and 67.5° (flat) lie

This functionality allows a player to stand on the target line and more accurately line up the face behind the ball. Better alignment combined with improved confidence can free up players to make a more committed and constant stroke.

mallet-back-on-white_1024x1024.jpg

mallet-back-45-on-whirte_600x600.jpg

• Staff
I think it's cool one got sent in for review. Bloodline is what Vijay uses right?

That is not a putter for the weak of spirit. I dig the looks but they won’t be for everyone.

• Staff
I think it's cool one got sent in for review. Bloodline is what Vijay uses right?

He did, I think. Not sure if he still does, but they have the Easy One all over their website. Haha

Nice initial write up James. Informative and its a putter I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about. When I first saw Els using this I looked it up and the price tag was kind of a shock but understanding the technology and materials behind it, it sort of makes sense.

And one thing that stood out is yet another former TM guy getting into putters. You would think they would have had better putters back in the day. That or they just didnt budget a ton of capital for that market

He did, I think. Not sure if he still does, but they have the Easy One all over their website. Haha

well yeah, one guy is likeable, and the other is Vijay haha

Saw these at Club Champion back in March. Reminds me of the old Bridgestone putters that stood up by themselves. They look pretty cool, but from what I recall I didn't like the feel much but it was awhile ago so I can't be sure.

Wow that is definitely different.

Nice initial write up James. Informative and its a putter I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about. When I first saw Els using this I looked it up and the price tag was kind of a shock but understanding the technology and materials behind it, it sort of makes sense.

And one thing that stood out is yet another former TM guy getting into putters. You would think they would have had better putters back in the day. That or they just didnt budget a ton of capital for that market

To be fair, he was in marketing, not design for TM.

I love Odyssey mallets but I would give that baby a roll. I would give a second opinion after your review is complete, seriously.

Dan

That look suits my eye, I’d give it a roll for sure.

I'm interested in these, they do sound an awful lot like the Bridgestone putters from a few years ago which I really really enjoyed.

It took 9 months of work, but in it came.

The interchangeable hosel idea is a really cool one. As to the leightweight shaft/grip w/ heavier head, it seems like the guys who really liked the Bridgestone True Balance putters a few years back might like this one.

That's definitely a unique look. I always think it's cool when I see their social media pictures of the putter standing on it's own.

That's definitely a unique look. I always think it's cool when I see their social media pictures of the putter standing on it's own.
Yep, and I think this will stand a thousand times easier and better than that Bridgestone fiasco.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts James.

Interesting that the sole isn't flat. Presumably the 2 "nubs" don't adversely affect the stroke if/when they contact the putting surface.

Very different design for sure, not sure how many it will appeal to as it is loud looking. Will be interested to see your Thought Man.

Yep, and I think this will stand a thousand times easier and better than that Bridgestone fiasco.

Is it bad that I still love the feel of those grips? Hated the putter.

Also this thing looks sick!

I'd game the wide blade model in a heartbeat. It looks way better than the mallet IMO.

Sounds interesting. I like the bright red finish.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts James.

Interesting that the sole isn't flat. Presumably the 2 "nubs" don't adversely affect the stroke if/when they contact the putting surface.

This is a good question. Can you "feel" them when grounding the club?

Back