geno

Reaction score
Handicap
Sad
I have been away from the sport for a long time. I recently had my shoulder fixed and am ready to pick it back up.

I have some old clubs I can not find any info on, although I think they were a Walmart special. My buddy gave them to me when his father gave him his old set. They are Wilson Pro Teqnique.

I plan on doing lessons this winter. I am debating on getting a new set of irons now to start with. I was thinking of some oversized cavity backs, maybe a few years old. I hit some balls with my son's newer clubs along with my old ones and noticed quite a difference. My concern is that this is in my head.

Would this be a good plan of attack?

Are the newer clubs going to make that much difference?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have been away from the sport for a long time. I recently had my shoulder fixed and am ready to pick it back up.

I have some old clubs I can not find any info on, although I think they were a Walmart special. My buddy gave them to me when his father gave him his old set. They are Wilson Pro Teqnique.

I plan on doing lessons this winter. I am debating on getting a new set of irons now to start with. I was thinking of some oversized cavity backs, maybe a few years old. I hit some balls with my son's newer clubs along with my old ones and noticed quite a difference. My concern is that this is in my head.

Would this be a good plan of attack?

Are the newer clubs going to make that much difference?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to THP!

From what you're describing, most clubs nowadays, even a few seasons old, will be miles better for someone starting back out. No reason to use something that will make things harder on you if you can afford to buy something relatively new-ish.

I'd say grab some used or couple year old clubs for a big discount, and anything you're buying from the last 5-8 years or so would be a big improvement from what you have. Taylormade Speedblades are a good place to start, and can be had for really low prices if you find the right ones.

lots of info around here and elsewhere on the interwebz. i think the general consensus is yes newer clubs will make a difference. they are more forgiving, and in certain club categories/classes the design will promote higher launch with less spin which should result in more distance.

i think looking for a set that is 3-5 years old is a great place to start. there's a ton of love around here for the taylormade speedblades. another good option might be cleveland altitude.

welcome back to the game!

Thank you for the info. I'm sure these questions get asked all the time.

Back