Camera Advice/Recommendations?

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
I am considering getting a DSLR camera. Mainly, I want to take shots of my kids playing sports. As a beginner, I don't want to break the bank, however. Anyone have advice or recommendations?

My fiancé has a Canon Rebel T3i and likes it. I think it comes with 2 lenses too, and I believe she got it for like $800, which is pretty affordable for DSLR's.

I know jack about cameras, but I can ask her for more info if you like.

I am considering getting a DSLR camera. Mainly, I want to take shots of my kids playing sports. As a beginner, I don't want to break the bank, however. Anyone have advice or recommendations?

This package is the most recent iteration of Canon's most popular consumer DSLR, the T6i. It comes with the 18-135 STM zoom which has received good reviews. Here is the link to the package at B&H Camera: Canon T6i

You can go cheaper with the T5, but it lacks some of the features.

Hello Doctor

My pro told me an iPhone 5 or 6 with a tri pod or cart tri pod would be fine.The 60 fps slow motion is more than enough to see what we are doing wrong or use for kids sports

I'm a novice but I have several friends who are professionals and standby their Nikon for sports and portraits. Also they say to get an entry level dslr because you can always upgrade the lenses for much greater quality. Fixed lenses are always going to provide the best quality at their focal length. For instance a fixed 35mm lens does phenomenal portraits and background blur(bokeh).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikon for stills, Canon for video with a DSLR body/lenses. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hello Doctor

My pro told me an iPhone 5 or 6 with a tri pod or cart tri pod would be fine.The 60 fps slow motion is more than enough to see what we are doing wrong or use for kids sports

Not everyone wants video. The OP didn't mention anything about it. I almost never shoot video, even though my Canon 60D does great high def video. Just not my thing.

A phone is no good for action still shots because of shutter lag. That is the one advantage that DSLR has over any phone or P&S. I can not only track the action, but with autofocus set to AI Servo I can keep the subject in focus for a series of shots (my camera does about 5 frames per second - The camera in my post above will do between 3 and 4), even when it's moving pretty fast. I can get shots like these from the local high school football games this fall:

i-fc2QMZB-XL.jpg

The Catch (yes he caught it for a TD)

i-FrxK3kH-XL.jpg

The Fumble

I'm a novice but I have several friends who are professionals and standby their Nikon for sports and portraits. Also they say to get an entry level dslr because you can always upgrade the lenses for much greater quality. Fixed lenses are always going to provide the best quality at their focal length. For instance a fixed 35mm lens does phenomenal portraits and background blur(bokeh).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikon and Canon are both great camera lines and both are equally suited for sports. Watch at any sporting event and you will see both. You can tell the pro using Canon because he will have one of those big white lenses. Here is a photo showing both shooting side by side:

sports5-by-jmgriffin-cr1.jpg

Not everyone wants video. The OP didn't mention anything about it. I almost never shoot video, even though my Canon 60D does great high def video. Just not my thing.

A phone is no good for action still shots because of shutter lag. That is the one advantage that DSLR has over any phone or P&S. I can not only track the action, but with autofocus set to AI Servo I can keep the subject in focus for a series of shots (my camera does about 5 frames per second - The camera in my post above will do between 3 and 4), even when it's moving pretty fast. I can get shots like these from the local high school football games this fall:

i-fc2QMZB-XL.jpg

The Catch (yes he caught it for a TD)

i-FrxK3kH-XL.jpg

The Fumble

Nikon and Canon are both great camera lines and both are equally suited for sports. Watch at any sporting event and you will see both. You can tell the pro using Canon because he will have one of those big white lenses. Here is a photo showing both shooting side by side:

sports5-by-jmgriffin-cr1.jpg

Those are some fantastic shots!

Those are some fantastic shots!

Thanks. I was pleased with how they came out, considering that I never tried any sports photography before. I don't know what you consider as "breaking the bank", but You can get the 70D (The current version of my 60d), for $1299 with the 18-135 STM zoom lens from B&H Photo. You can buy the body alone for $999. Go to their website (B&H Photo) for Canon EoS and you will see a big range, starting about $499 and going up. Personally I'd recommend the T7i with 18-135 zoom lens, but that lens might not be quite long enough for the sports you want to shoot. There is an EFS 55-250 lens, not the highest quality construction, but it takes decent pictures, and it was under $200 last I saw.

I was thinking the same 5 years ago before my first child was born. I wanted a DSLR to capture moments of life going forward. I settled with the Nikon D90. Now it's more than my skill level, but it was a solid camera to learn and grow into. I didn't want to go with a lower model at the time for fear of outgrowing it.

I have read books and taken some photography lessons. It's a solid camera and I've purchased another lens with more zoom. I think for me it's the perfect camera and model that I won't outgrow.

Both Nikon and Canon are great cameras.

Good luck with your search.

It really depends on your budget and how far you'll be from the action. Sidelines? Stands? Indoor or out? Lens choice will be greatly affected by the conditions you need to shoot the sports in.

Don't be afraid of used gear either, to get better value. In all my years of shooting I've bought 1 brand new camera. Just stick to the reputable sites. KEH, Cameta, B&H or Adorama are my go to.

If you're a beginner and don't want to sink too much into a new camera, I would suggest the Sony A6000 mirrorless camera. In my opinion it's way better than any Canon or Nikon entry level system and has the added bonus of being ahead of the technology curve compared to a traditional DSLR. I'm not a professional photographer by any means but do a lot of still and video work at my job. Mirrorless is definitely the future.

If you're a beginner and don't want to sink too much into a new camera, I would suggest the Sony A6000 mirrorless camera. In my opinion it's way better than any Canon or Nikon entry level system and has the added bonus of being ahead of the technology curve compared to a traditional DSLR. I'm not a professional photographer by any means but do a lot of still and video work at my job. Mirrorless is definitely the future.

Actually, with the 55-210 lens he would need for those sports shots he wants, he's up the the price of a DSLR anyway. And there are still some issues with shutter lag as compared to a DSLR. They are getting better, but they still aren't there yet.

As far as the future, maybe - maybe not. I think that the jury is still out on that. I prefer the extra heft of my 60D, and I know that I'm not alone in that. I get far less camera shake than I do with a smaller format. It feels more substantial in my hands. I actually moved from the smaller T1i to the 60D in part because it fits my hands better. I also don't care a lot for the electronic viewfinder. I admit that I grew into the hobby with a Minolta SRT-201 SLR and I like the optical VF because that's what I'm used to. It doesn't have any drain on the battery either. My Canon 60D can take 1000 shots on a full charge, something which was important to me when I was in Africa last year and couldn't charge every night. I have 3 batteries, so I was good for 3000 photos if needed without charging.

As with any purchase, it pays to do some research. There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems, and it can be costly to make a mistake. I know that what I have can handle any style of photography I will ever need it for. That's all I need to know.

The same here. Wanted a decent camera, as I have taken a keen interest in Photography. For me the Nikon D7100 is a good starter

The same here. Wanted a decent camera, as I have taken a keen interest in Photography. For me the Nikon D7100 is a good starter

+1 for everyone who suggested the D7100. I have it and love it. If you look at sites like camera camera or Nikon, you can get a refurbished one for a great price. Have always bought refurb d7100 and have never had an issue and usually have a low amount of clicks on the shutter. When I bought mine from Camera, came with a 1 year factory warranty as well.

So my wife really wants to get a DSLR. I don't want to spend a lot of money but i'd like it to take really nice pictures (i see myself taking this with me on the golf course when i got to destination rounds). Anyone have thoughts Canon/Nikon?? Ideally, it's probably entry level and if it has 2 lenses probably would be nice..

I fully expect this thing to sit in the closet at least 300 days out of the year :/

If I can offer one piece of advice from personal experience: buy the body only and get a single full-length zoom lens. My greatest regret from purchasing my setup is I have the 18-55 and 55-300mm lenses, which means a lens swap every time I go from the outdoors to in. Knowing what I know now, I would much rather have put the extra dollars towards the 18-300 lens.

Those are some great shots!!! What particular model of camera is this? :act-up:

Can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. I've had a D80 since it was introduced and absolutely love the Nikkor 70-200mm telephoto lens for shooting almost everthing. My son played lacrosse and soccer for a decade and that lens, although expensive, was worth every penny. I have about 65,000 photos, mostly of family, on my Mac from the last 12 years.

I changed from a Canon DSLR to a smaller sized Olympus OM-D E-M5 and I'm in love with it. I got tired of walking around with a bag, and the M5 fits in a jacket pocket pretty nicely. It's also splash proof. But it's an older model and but newer model, the M10 is more plastic feeling.

But, IMHO; on how to take awesome shots and learn how to shoot even better shots.

Get a decent body, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, what ever fits your hand and eye the best. What matters, is the lens. If you've got tons of money and even more time, try different stuff and buy a lot of lenses for every purpose, but if you've got a normal amount of money and time: buy 1 lens. With the Canon go for a 50mm f/1.8 lens, that you can get with 80-120 bucks. There's one with f/1.4 and one with f/1.2 but the prices are around 500 bucks and 1500-2000 bucks for those. Nikon should have equal lenses too.

With the Olympus or any other micro 4/3 sensor go for a 45mm f/1.8.

With that kind of body and lens combo you get large aperture which makes it possible to get decent shots without external lighting or using a flash (built-in flash makes 99% of photos bad), and you get also a nice field of depth and that makes your photos pop.

The problem with zoom lenses is that it's pretty hard to find a lens with lower f-stop than 2.8. That's enough, but the prices are thousands of dollars. A zoom lens with f/3.5-5.6 is more or less useless unless you shoot outdoors with the sun out.

The fixed focal length forces you to think how and where you should take the shot, and walking closer or further away is way better than zooming in and ending up with a shaky photo.

When a fixed focal length lens is mastered, then working with other lenses is easier, more fun and worth it.

Last edited:
I changed from a Canon DSLR to a smaller sized Olympus OM-D E-M5 and I'm in love with it. I got tired of walking around with a bag, and the M5 fits in a jacket pocket pretty nicely. It's also splash proof. But it's an older model and but newer model, the M10 is more plastic feeling.

But, IMHO; on how to take awesome shots and learn how to shoot even better shots.

Get a decent body, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, what ever fits your hand and eye the best. What matters, is the lens. If you've got tons of money and even more time, try different stuff and buy a lot of lenses for every purpose, but if you've got a normal amount of money and time: buy 1 lens. With the Canon go for a 50mm f/1.8 lens, that you can get with 80-120 bucks. There's one with f/1.4 and one with f/1.2 but the prices are around 500 bucks and 1500-2000 bucks for those. Nikon should have equal lenses too.

With the Olympus or any other micro 4/3 sensor go for a 45mm f/1.8.

With that kind of body and lens combo you get large aperture which makes it possible to get decent shots without external lighting or using a flash (built-in flash makes 99% of photos bad), and you get also a nice field of depth and that makes your photos pop.

The problem with zoom lenses is that it's pretty hard to find a lens with lower f-stop than 2.8. That's enough, but the prices are thousands of dollars. A zoom lens with f/3.5-5.6 is more or less useless unless you shoot outdoors with the sun out.

The fixed focal length forces you to think how and where you should take the shot, and walking closer or further away is way better than zooming in and ending up with a shaky photo.

When a fixed focal length lens is mastered, then working with other lenses is easier, more fun and worth it.
I've been eyeing used ones of these on eBay since reading this post. Anything to look for/look out for? What would be a decent, budget lense to use with it?

I'm looking for something entry level to get into and see how much I actually use it. Any other cameras I should look at?

I've been eyeing used ones of these on eBay since reading this post. Anything to look for/look out for? What would be a decent, budget lense to use with it?

I'm looking for something entry level to get into and see how much I actually use it. Any other cameras I should look at?

The choice of camera body comes down to many things: size, price, size of sensor, video abilities (if you need them or not) and of course brand loyalty. Please note that bodies and lenses from different manufactures are not usually compatible with each other. You should be able to get a good body for 500-1000 USD, more expensive than that...you'd really need to know why you would pay more.

Check these lenses:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-50...819993?hash=item2c9f19a8d9:g:0NIAAOSwu4BVue9A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-50...501319?hash=item1c7c993b87:g:sZQAAOSwjDZYifnM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nikon-A...947748?hash=item3f47d2f6e4:g:ZicAAOSwB-1YpAS1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Olymp...077348?hash=item25a5994d24:g:YcgAAOSwv0tVRFkZ

Back