emart2173 PXG fitting at TPC Potomac

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
Several weeks ago I was browsing the PXG website looking at the gen1 irons because of the PXG for Heroes program and the discount for military and first responders. While browsing I noticed they were doing fittings in the area on 8/4 at TPC Potomac. Even though my normal fitter has an account and the full fitting setup from PXG I figured why not go the fitting with one of their reps and at a course that has hosted tour events including recently the Quicken Loans National. Didn’t know if I would ever get a chance to hit balls at their facilities so I sent in some info via the link.

I was playing phone tag with Ryan from PXG HQ about the fitting day and finally we linked up after a couple days. Based on the time of day they were going to be there it didn’t fit in with my work schedule and on call rotation. He mentioned they were looking to do a second one on 8/16 so I told him I could swing that day an once they confirmed to let me know. He called a few days later to confirm and setup the appointment.

I got a confirmation email with my appointment and then a follow up reminder the day before. Then the fitter emailed me the night before to introduce himself and to see if I had any questions about the gear or any concerns. I told him I was good and was looking forward to the fitting.

I left work 1/2 day early to beat traffic since the course is an area where DMV traffic can get hectic early on a Friday or really anytime some days. After grabbing lunch and driving around the area looking at some amazing houses I headed to the course. I got there about 15 mins early, went into the pro shop to check in and was given a cart to drive up to the range which is just down the road from the clubhouse and past the short game area. When I arrived at the range the fitter Doug (former TaylorMade fitter fit 15 years, came downs from NJ) was starting to get everything setup as he was running a little late due to previously mentioned traffic. I met him and he said feel free to warmup. While warming up Daniel the pro who I met with in the clubhouse had arrived at the range again to welcome me and make sure I was good to go with everything. He watched me warm up and provided some feedback to Doug about my ball flight and possible shaft choices. Shannon who is a local PXG rep arrived to help out (she’s not a fitter) as there were a few others coming in for fittings. She is a former college golfer and has worked in the golf industry in this area for several years.

After a few swings with my 9 and 7 irons I was ready to go. It was low 90s and a little humid do it didn’t take long to get warmed up. Doug asked which head I wanted to start with either the players or tour. I told him let’s start with the tour since I hit that in gen1 last year and liked it and then we can adjust from there. He used the Nippon modus 3 120s to start with. Numbers from a distance standpoint were good, balls speed in low to mid 120s, spin was a little high (7100-7200) for what Doug liked plus I hit a high ball (110-116’) so he wanted to see if we could bring both down. We moved to the kbs $ taper but numbers were pretty similar to the Nippon. We moved to the px 6.0 and sure enough spin came down into the 6800s and we maintained ball speed and distance and not much change in height, but we did get a more consistent ball path and miss. He threw in a px lz just to see numbers. We talked through about set makeup, some tweaks like mix set of different heads in the long irons and also whether if the fitting would translate into gen1 if I went that route vice the gen2, possibly hard stepping or strengthing loft if I wanted more distance (was hitting 7i consistently 170–172). After some more swings swapping shafts to confirm numbers as my swing was in a pretty good groove we settled on px 6.0 std length/loft/lie with players head in 4i and tour head in 5-p. Also decided to bite the bullet and get the gen2 so that we could blend the set.

After the fitting was over I was welcomed to stay and hit balls for as long as I wanted by both the PXG folks and Daniel so that I didn’t have to sit in traffic for 2 hours. I took advantage of this and tested some other PXG clubs including driver, xf iron head, a driving iron and the sugar daddy wedge.

I couldn’t take any pics as cell phones are prohibited on the range but here’s a few I got before and snuck in after my fitting

33950aeaa5bfdd0388a03e42ea42c43a.jpg

657dafa950df9bca6d101452bd308bda.jpg

1cb08a9c1d1109cd180dfba8ce41cabc.jpg

e3e8743a32ead2cf72a7e04a1f65d8df.jpg

92d4c3340ea8d5998b04794b42926acb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So that is cool but did you buy a set up and what did you end up with?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Very cool Eric - glad you had a great experience

That is awesome!!

Great stuff brotha! Hope they work out well for you!!!

great story man! sounds like a solid fitting. looking forward to following along to see how these work out for you.

Pretty cool. I saw your post on Instagram and immediately knew a fitting was coming.

Nicely done man. Glad you had fun and got to test outdoors and compare shafts. Numbers looked good and I know from our chats that you were really hyped about doing this fitting. By chance, what did you think of the driver and how did the driving iron compare to your players 4i?

May you shoo 59 when you get them, thanks for sharing your story with me
4i with the players head and 5-p with the tour head paired with px6.0

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Nicely done man. Glad you had fun and got to test outdoors and compare shafts. Numbers looked good and I know from our chats that you were really hyped about doing this fitting. By chance, what did you think of the driver and how did the driving iron compare to your players 4i?

The driver was a little disappointing. The sound wasn't bad (better than previous Ping models) but not really great. I didn't pay attention to the loft but it was the xf head and ball was was mid and not real explosive off the face. I would be curious what the x head is like and might see of my normal fitter has it. But not sure I would try to game it unless I was someone that just wanted to have PXG in every spot. On end the guys who had been fit at one of their indoor retailers here had one and he was hitting it well.

The driving iron design is for a lower launch and spin with a penetrating flight and for me I was hitting a lot lower on peak height than the 4i I went with. It has a wider sole (fitter calls it their j-lo club) because of where the mass is. Shannon and the other guy that was getting re-fit birth were hitting low balls with it too. It would be a club that IMO would be for someone who wanted a tee club that on windy days where they didn't want to play a wood off the tee or someone who plays link courses. The xf IMO woukd be a better option for what most if us thunk about for driving/utility irons

Can’t wait to see you hit these after they show up. Really cool experience!

emart2173 PXG fitting at TPC Potomac

Several weeks ago I was browsing the PXG website looking at the gen1 irons because of the PXG for Heroes program and the discount for military and first responders. While browsing I noticed they were doing fittings in the area on 8/4 at TPC Potomac. Even though my normal fitter has an account and the full fitting setup from PXG I figured why not go the fitting with one of their reps and at a course that has hosted tour events including recently the Quicken Loans National. Didn’t know if I would ever get a chance to hit balls at their facilities so I sent in some info via the link.

I was playing phone tag with Ryan from PXG HQ about the fitting day and finally we linked up after a couple days. Based on the time of day they were going to be there it didn’t fit in with my work schedule and on call rotation. He mentioned they were looking to do a second one on 8/16 so I told him I could swing that day an once they confirmed to let me know. He called a few days later to confirm and setup the appointment.

I got a confirmation email with my appointment and then a follow up reminder the day before. Then the fitter emailed me the night before to introduce himself and to see if I had any questions about the gear or any concerns. I told him I was good and was looking forward to the fitting.

I left work 1/2 day early to beat traffic since the course is an area where DMV traffic can get hectic early on a Friday or really anytime some days. After grabbing lunch and driving around the area looking at some amazing houses I headed to the course. I got there about 15 mins early, went into the pro shop to check in and was given a cart to drive up to the range which is just down the road from the clubhouse and past the short game area. When I arrived at the range the fitter Doug (former TaylorMade fitter fit 15 years, came downs from NJ) was starting to get everything setup as he was running a little late due to previously mentioned traffic. I met him and he said feel free to warmup. While warming up Daniel the pro who I met with in the clubhouse had arrived at the range again to welcome me and make sure I was good to go with everything. He watched me warm up and provided some feedback to Doug about my ball flight and possible shaft choices. Shannon who is a local PXG rep arrived to help out (she’s not a fitter) as there were a few others coming in for fittings. She is a former college golfer and has worked in the golf industry in this area for several years.

After a few swings with my 9 and 7 irons I was ready to go. It was low 90s and a little humid do it didn’t take long to get warmed up. Doug asked which head I wanted to start with either the players or tour. I told him let’s start with the tour since I hit that in gen1 last year and liked it and then we can adjust from there. He used the Nippon modus 3 120s to start with. Numbers from a distance standpoint were good, balls speed in low to mid 120s, spin was a little high (7100-7200) for what Doug liked plus I hit a high ball (110-116’) so he wanted to see if we could bring both down. We moved to the kbs $ taper but numbers were pretty similar to the Nippon. We moved to the px 6.0 and sure enough spin came down into the 6800s and we maintained ball speed and distance and not much change in height, but we did get a more consistent ball path and miss. He threw in a px lz just to see numbers. We talked through about set makeup, some tweaks like mix set of different heads in the long irons and also whether if the fitting would translate into gen1 if I went that route vice the gen2, possibly hard stepping or strengthing loft if I wanted more distance (was hitting 7i consistently 170–172). After some more swings swapping shafts to confirm numbers as my swing was in a pretty good groove we settled on px 6.0 std length/loft/lie with players head in 4i and tour head in 5-p. Also decided to bite the bullet and get the gen2 so that we could blend the set.

After the fitting was over I was welcomed to stay and hit balls for as long as I wanted by both the PXG folks and Daniel so that I didn’t have to sit in traffic for 2 hours. I took advantage of this and tested some other PXG clubs including driver, xf iron head, a driving iron and the sugar daddy wedge.

I couldn’t take any pics as cell phones are prohibited on the range but here’s a few I got before and snuck in after my fitting

33950aeaa5bfdd0388a03e42ea42c43a.jpg

657dafa950df9bca6d101452bd308bda.jpg

1cb08a9c1d1109cd180dfba8ce41cabc.jpg

e3e8743a32ead2cf72a7e04a1f65d8df.jpg

92d4c3340ea8d5998b04794b42926acb.jpg

That’s my man Doug “E Fresh” Huntzinger. He lives here in town and is one heck of a guy. He plays out of our course quite a bit. I see that van almost daily. He is one heck of guy and knows his stuff. No nonsense gets to the point and the job done. I’ll let him know he’s got a satisfied customer if you don’t mind. It’ll make him smile. We don’t see him much this time of year obviously. He also has 2 great little boys that keep him busy. But he’ll be back around for our dew sweeping rounds later in the fall.

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome experience and congrats on the new sticks. We'll have to get a round in next time you're home so I can check them out.

Very cool fitting. Can't wait to see that setup when you get it.

What a great experience! Sounds like you had a blast. I lived in the DC area for 15 months, so I know all about that traffic. I’m glad you got to hit balls instead of sitting in that shyte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4i with the players head and 5-p with the tour head paired with px6.0

You’re pricing me out of your second hand club market Hopefully you can bring these out to a fall outing.

Congrats on fit! I just received my "self fit" gen 1 combo set after considering Ping i210s....

0311 4-7 and 0311T 8-pw modus 105 stiff ss once....
I hit 16/18 greens without a warmup.....lofts were weakened to match i210 as I need launch and these perform beyond my dreams!

Thanks for sharing emart! Hope you hit them well

Awesome write up and purchase dude!!!

That’s my man Doug “E Fresh” Huntzinger. He lives here in town and is one heck of a guy. He plays out of our course quite a bit. I see that van almost daily. He is one heck of guy and knows his stuff. No nonsense gets to the point and the job done. I’ll let him know he’s got a satisfied customer if you don’t mind. It’ll make him smile. We don’t see him much this time of year obviously. He also has 2 great little boys that keep him busy. But he’ll be back around for our dew sweeping rounds later in the fall.

He shot me an email Thursday night and I let him know it was a great experience. I'm sure he and I will be in contact again.

You’re pricing me out of your second hand club market Hopefully you can bring these out to a fall outing.

I have a set that is in your price range still

My friend, this is very cool, and I am jealous as hell.

Back