Could use help with driver swing

Phil75070

Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 #TheGrandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
I've somehow gotten into this bad habit with the driver of "cutting off" the follow through. It is not all the time but does seem to be on holes I am just not comfortable with on the tee and where maybe I'm trying to "steer" the ball out there. It almost feels like I am hitting a punch shot with the driver but instead of low ball flight the ball flies very high when I do this. My swing is pretty much self-taught and I am thinking if I concentrate on using my hips more in the downswing so I end up facing my target that might help get me swinging the club and releasing it more freely. Any thoughts?

paging @soillhacker. pretty sure he was able to work his way through this same tendency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of ball flight is it? Fade or push to right (assuming right handed)?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What kind of ball flight is it? Fade or push to right (assuming right handed)?

When I do it, generally it is a high push, maybe a slight fade added. (i'm right handed)

When I do it, generally it is a high push, maybe a slight fade added. (i'm right handed)
I am in this cycle as well right now and it's more of a "slapping" at the ball feeling which is lending to a push high fade, weak ball. What I have been doing to correct is focus on clean contact and swing through the golf ball with an strong swing at bottom. It's tough to grind through but that's where I am at. The sensation of swinging through the ball encourages full finish as well, at least for me.

Played this morning and has these issues a few times.

Get on the range and focus on keeping your head back and chasing the clubhead down the line through impact with your weight fully transferred to the front side (left leg for a right-handed golfer). This promotes full extension, helps you square up the club, and thus will improve your shot shape. You can't stop the follow through if you've properly executed these positions.

You may find you need to do this a few range sessions to get it to translate to the golf course.

If you find you cannot execute this on the range, then posting a video of your swing would be helpful. Obviously, we'd need to figure out what else is going on that is preventing you from executing this position.

Phil, the sawed off swing is a direct result of not trusting your swing. Usually we are fearful of the direction the ball will travel. You and the vast majority of golfers have this issue.
The practice swing is key in doing away with these issues. My guess is that you swing to a balanced finished in your practice swing. The only difference with a real swing is there is a ball in your swing path. The ball doesn’t move and will be there as the club swings thru. Mimic your practice swing with your real swing. Swing to your finish and let the ball fly where it may.
Don’t worry about the correction. Worry about setup and swinging to your finish. When you can do this consistently we can move to fixing the direction of the ball.

Phil, the sawed off swing is a direct result of not trusting your swing. Usually we are fearful of the direction the ball will travel. You and the vast majority of golfers have this issue.

I know that trust plays a big part of it as it only happens on certain holes. Forget about results (they'll take care of themselves" just try to put a good swing on the ball.

The practice swing is key in doing away with these issues. My guess is that you swing to a balanced finished in your practice swing. The only difference with a real swing is there is a ball in your swing path. The ball doesn’t move and will be there as the club swings thru. Mimic your practice swing with your real swing. Swing to your finish and let the ball fly where it may.
Don’t worry about the correction. Worry about setup and swinging to your finish. When you can do this consistently we can move to fixing the direction of the ball.

Exactly this. I’m willing to bet your practice swing is just fine and you are trying to hit the ball rather than swing when you step up to the ball. I went through the same thing last year and i have really worked on swinging rather than hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that trust plays a big part of it as it only happens on certain holes. Forget about results (they'll take care of themselves" just try to put a good swing on the ball.

Setup away from trouble, pick your target and swing away. You’ll see good results and some bad but I think the good will put weigh the bad.

I struggle with this also and is one of the main things I am working on with my instructor. I have noticed if I concentrate on releasing the club my follow through is much better and takes away much of my hit impulse.

Back