Playing Women’s Clubs

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
After a great fitting with Club Champion recently I discovered a few things. One, at 5’7 every club in my bag has been shorterned. This has resulted in my lowest rounds of the season and I’m beyond pleased. Unfortunately, the budget ran out and I was only able to be fit for a driver and irons. The second observation, my swing is more tempo than speed. I didn’t realize how slow I came in at, 92 mph average with an iron.

I constantly come across women’s wedges on eBay, barely touched, at a fraction of the price men’s clubs fetch. I’ve also seen a number of YouTube videos with some Brits testing different clubs in every shaft flex and finding essentially the same results from every shaft.

has anyone considered playing a women’s club ?

Play what works best for you...the scorecard doesn't care what is in your bag. :)

I was talking to a fitter a couple of years ago and he had a customer who wanted a driver fitting. They tried every shaft/head combination and the guy wasn't seeing much difference than with his old driver. The fitter suggested they try one more thing. The guy hit the club and was getting a legitimate 20 yards with this shaft/head combo. After hitting a number of drives, the guy looked at the shaft and noticed it had an "L" on it. He told the fitter he only plays stiff flex and would never play a ladies flex shaft. So the guy insisted on buying one particular driver, even though he didn't see any real gains over his old one, and left 20 yards on the table because he refused to play a ladies flex shaft.

Too much ego in this game. :)

Play what works best for you...the scorecard doesn't care what is in your bag. :)

I was talking to a fitter a couple of years ago and he had a customer who wanted a driver fitting. They tried every shaft/head combination and the guy wasn't seeing much difference than with his old driver. The fitter suggested they try one more thing. The guy hit the club and was getting a legitimate 20 yards with this shaft/head combo. After hitting a number of drives, the guy looked at the shaft and noticed it had an "L" on it. He told the fitter he only plays stiff flex and would never play a ladies flex shaft. So the guy insisted on buying one particular driver, even though he didn't see any real gains over his old one, and left 20 yards on the table because he refused to play a ladies flex shaft.

Too much ego in this game. :)

It’s not an ego issue ... it’s more of a shot in the dark in terms of picking up second hand clubs in the search for the “one”

It’s not an ego issue ... it’s more of a shot in the dark in terms of picking up second hand clubs in the search for the “one”

If it's a wedge flex, marked as a woman's club, it's likely just a pretty paint fill, so no issues there.

If you've got a really smooth swing you might be able to get away with an L flex club.

When I first took up the game my first real set of clubs my Dad bought for me were women’s clubs because I, too, was/am short (5’8” and shrinking).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit my wife’s clubs the other day at the range. Was hitting some very nice drivers, 7 irons and PW’s.

Back