Changing your bag

TOAOST21

Reaction score
Handicap
I know people (OEM) that are always changing what gear they have and i know other people (My Dad) who never change their gear. i was thinking i make some small changes here and there, take out a wedge add a wood or vice versa. recently i have added a R9 pw to the bag and taken my blade xft out. Just wondering where everyone else falls and what changes you make to the bag

change that putter to a ghost and you will be good as gold haha i gotta give you a hard time about that until u make the change lol

change that putter to a ghost and you will be good as gold haha i gotta give you a hard time about that until u make the change lol

Off topic- but I putted with a ghost and it felt like a toy... I was not all that impressed

On topic- I have a "list" of things that need upgraded. At the end of the year when all of that is taken care of I don't see myself doing a lot of changing. My bag is a project and I have been working on it for upwards of a year now. I only just got good enough to notice some of the differences (nice wedges vs crappy wedges) so those are changes that have popped up that were unexpected.

Off topic- but I putted with a ghost and it felt like a toy... I was not all that impressed

guess its not for everyone but i dont think to many people think that it feels like a toy or no one on the pga tour would be putting with it.. but its different for everyone and everyone has there own likes and dislikes..

goodluck with your bag though! gotta let us know on each new thing you get lol

guess its not for everyone but i dont think to many people think that it feels like a toy or no one on the pga tour would be putting with it.. but its different for everyone and everyone has there own likes and dislikes..

goodluck with your bag though! gotta let us know on each new thing you get lol

I am aware it is a great putter, and your PGA argument is spot on. I am glad that you have a putter you like so much, cause I am still searching for my dream putter!
I have always putted with very heavy mallets and anything less than that feels funny to me! Next time I walk by one I'll give it another chance though- cause it is pretty!

not just new things though like i have multiple wedges like a blade and a regular R9 and i have a three iron even though i dont carry it same with some woods. i know that pro's will take more than 14 clubs to a tournament and its all about what makes the bag that week other than there staple clubs. what do you switch in and out of your bag on top of upgrading to new stuff also.

change that putter to a ghost and you will be good as gold haha i gotta give you a hard time about that until u make the change lol/QUOTE]
bridges that will soon be fixed i'm plannin on picking one up in the next couple days... it's so pretty and i roll it soooooo true it must be mine

I am aware it is a great putter, and your PGA argument is spot on. I am glad that you have a putter you like so much, cause I am still searching for my dream putter!
I have always putted with very heavy mallets and anything less than that feels funny to me! Next time I walk by one I'll give it another chance though- cause it is pretty!

haha i was the same way! i liked the heavier putters and they just felt right to me, but for some reason i just fell in love with this putter. i hope you find one! its always added confidence in your game we you play a club you love instead of trying to force yourself to love one.

you will find one eventually, the putter of your dreams is out there somewhere on the horizon :D :D

bridges that will soon be fixed i'm plannin on picking one up in the next couple days... it's so pretty and i roll it soooooo true it must be mine

thats what i like to hear!! haha ya it looks so good and i love the way it rolls off the face. its just perfect for me lol

i used to change 3 iron and a 5 wood out on a certain course but now that i got my hybrids i ditched the 3 and 4 iron and went with my sig (except 3w, just bought the superfast)for every course. about to pick up a 56 and 60 wedge, just recently sold my old ones.. so i will have a normal club set up when i get those wedges and my superfast in for every course..

Well, this year I worked hard on replacing basically my entire bag from a cheap starter set that was completely wrong for me to the way more forgiving GI stuff that you see below. Apart from maybe a wedge or a good driver deal falling in my lap or something, I don't really see myself changing much until I'm good enough for equipment more in the "players" category (or if anything breaks, whatever comes first).
I guess a putter is always a possibility too, they just seem to be so much fun to collect and swap.

Over the past 2 years I've upgraded almost every club and piece of equipment in my bag. The only thing remaining on my list is the 3 wood, which I'll probably replace sometime this fall.

After the 3w purchase I'll most likely hold off on any more spending until I decide to upgrade the driver or unless I find a putter that really suits me.

I'm not the type that always needs the "latest and greatest" but over the next couple years I will take advantage of any technology innovations I feel are significant.

i change items in my bag as my golf game improves.

so for instance i only used to have a ping G5 3 wood, but as my swing improved i went and picked up an R7 driver which helped me off the tee.
but then i had options to go for par 5's in 2 so i needed something easier to hit from the rough than a 4 iron so i got myself a rescue to fit that gap.

i then reached a point last year where i almost felt inconsistent as my bag wasnt consistent so i started changing to get symetry in the bag (and shiny new clubs)
my bag has evolved to this point where i am completely happy with it. it has a symetry (matching woods, matching irons and wedges) and it fits my swing. took a while to find a putter though. :)

Two years ago my bag consisted of Driver and Fairways from the early 80s, irons from the 90s, and a putter my kids gave me in the late 80s. Bought a newer used driver which was such an improvement I changed up everything else in my bag. What a mistake took me over a year and three sets to get back to where I started, now very happy and will probably die with my current setup. Everything in my current bag is nearly identical to my original bag (just an updated version) except driver (much easier to hit and longer) and 3 hybrid (replaced my 3 iron which I could only hit 5 yards farther than my 4 iron). Would have saved a lot on money if I had just gotten a new driver and hybrid and left it at that.

Man talk about changing items in your bag...where do I begin...okay the fall of 2008 I started working with a coach and had PING i10 irons in the bag...these are the iron changes I made as follows:

Titleist ZM's (very unforgiving iron but kind of wish I would have stuck with them)
Srixon i-701 Tour's (bought trying to find some forgiveness from the ZM's...did not work)
TM R9 (still looking for forgiveness and took break from coach)
PING i15 (had shoulder surgery in January and while waiting 4 months to be able swing the club decided to make a change...mainly out of boredoom)
TM RAC TP forged *used* (Was thinking I would start working on my swing again but my shoudler was not ready)
TM R9 - Decided to put these back in the bag so I could have some fun for awhile after being out of golf for around 6 months due to shoulder surgery
Cleveland CG1 Tour Shoulder feeling somewhat better and these belonged to friend (who hit them like four times and decided to try somehting else) and I tried them and found that the forgiveness of the R9 had made my swing sloppy...these were hard to hit so it is a challenege to me AGAIN!

I aslo made wedge changes along the way and made some actual bag changes as well...however, I am trying to be committed to my current bag (see sig). I do think I will be looking to buy another Driver maybe next Spring once my swing comes back around. Change can be fun and expensive and my changes came mainly from learning about my game and trying to find irons that worked in my bag for what I was trying to do with my swing at that time...now I am focused on building my swing for competition.
:cleveland:

Last edited:
Man talk about changing items in your bag...where do I begin...okay the fall of 2008 I started working with a coach and had PING i10 irons in the bag...these are the iron changes I made as follows:

Titleist ZM's (very unforgiving iron but kind of wish I would have stuck with them)
Srixon i-701 Tour's (bought trying to find some forgiveness from the ZM's...did not work)
PING i15 (had shoulder surgery in January and while waiting 4 months to be able swing the club decided to make a change...mainly out of boredoom)
TM RAC TP forged *used* (current iron as I am back with my coach and we just feel like I set up much better to a blade type iron...no snse in buying another *new* set of irons until I groove my swing)

I aslo made wedge changes along the way and made some actual bag changes as well...however, I am trying to be committed to my current bag (see sig). I do think I will be looking to buy another Driver (probabaly keep my Titleist as a back up) maybe next Spring once my swing comes back around. Change can be fun and expensive and my changes came mainly from learning about my game and trying to find irons that worked in my bag for what I was trying to do with my swing...
:peace2:

I remember a post like this a while back from someone that said they had been swayed away, but since finding Ping and the i series they were set and even changed their forum name to i-guy. But this could not possibly be the same guy with his 3rd forum name could it? HAHAHAHAHH Now that is funny stuff. Good luck with the new sticks.

TM RAC TP forged *used* (current iron as I am back with my coach and we just feel like I set up much better to a blade type iron...no snse in buying another *new* set of irons until I groove my swing)

I aslo made wedge changes along the way and made some actual bag changes as well...however, I am trying to be committed to my current bag (see sig). I do think I will be looking to buy another Driver (probabaly keep my Titleist as a back up) maybe next Spring once my swing comes back around. Change can be fun and expensive and my changes came mainly from learning about my game and trying to find irons that worked in my bag for what I was trying to do with my swing...

I remember a post like this a while back from someone that said they had been swayed away, but since finding Ping and the i series they were set and even changed their forum name to i-guy. But this could not possibly be the same guy with his 3rd forum name could it? HAHAHAHAHH Now that is funny stuff. Good luck with the new sticks.

How did I know you would respond JB? What gave it away the list of clubs…that you probably know all too well…Ha! Ha! I told "Hacker" that I need to have a user name that was not associated with what clubs I was playing so I settled on KB. Yes I have been swayed in the past and part of it was my own doing...I am really trying to find something to stay committed to and I have gone back to my original coach from 2008. He is a very good player in his own right as I caddied for him this year in a US Senior Open qualifier. We have a plan and my job is to stay committed to this plan as I want to play competitive golf someday so I need to find something and give it a chance to work…wish me luck!!!

How did I know you would respond JB? What gave it away the list of clubs…that you probably know all too well…Ha! Ha! I told "Hacker" that I need to have a user name that was not associated with what clubs I was playing so I settled on KB. Yes I have been swayed in the past and part of it was my own doing...I am really trying to find something to stay committed to and I have gone back to my original coach from 2008. He is a very good player in his own right as I caddied for him this year in a US Senior Open qualifier. We have a plan and my job is to stay committed to this plan as I want to play competitive golf someday so I need to find something and give it a chance to work…wish me luck!!!

There is a really funny piece in the Spring issue of THP: The Magazine on your irons you have now. The creator of them John Hoeflich talks about them in detail and about the pros that used them or tried to. Its really good and entertaining.

There is a really funny piece in the Spring issue of THP: The Magazine on your irons you have now. The creator of them John Hoeflich talks about them in detail and about the pros that used them or tried to. Its really good and entertaining.

How can I get an issue...I would like to read it?

I was thinking about what changes happened to my bag just this year. Here is my list of additions.
Dymo 4 wood - lasted 6 weeks and then sold it
Launcher 09 17 - Love this club
Adams A7 3h -won in a bet with my sister(Thank you Tiger for playing in the Masters)
Fybrid 4
Cleveland CG12 56 - no longer in bag
Wilson Tw9 56(on the way)
Taylormade XFT 60(should arrive today)
Ghost Putter(won here...thanks THP and Taylormade)

I have also purchased the following for Jenn's bag this year...
Cobra s9 1 3,5,7 wood
Nike Dymo2 STR8 fit Driver

For my brother in law - Odyssey Mini Marxman Putter
For my dad for fathers day - Cleveland Launcher DST 1i

I have done a lot of buying this year

My bag has been in a pretty constant state of flux this year, but it's getting there. I have just a few minor tweaks left and I think it will be good for awhile.

i need to put a new putter in the bag. i am currently in a love/hate relationship and i feel as though i need to be in a love only one. THP outing just got even more interesting for me, b/c a putter is now officially on the radar.

How can I get an issue...I would like to read it?

It was for sale here for 3 months. It has now been sold out. The new issue is for pre-order right now.

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was about literally changing your bag (as opposed to the clubs in it), which is what I'm in the process of doing. I got myself a push cart, so I got a cart bag too since my stand bag doesn't sit very well on it at all, and the plastic part on the bottom that actuates the stand legs broke off. :p

Other than that...new irons (Diablo Edge) and new putter (Nike IC) have been the recent additions to my bag, replacing an old set of DCIs and another Nike putter.

My bag has really changed this year...partly because of skil increase and partly because of being on THP. My changes have been:

New driver
New 5w (replaced 3w & 5w)
New putter
New specialty club
New balls
New clothes (lots of them)

Next up are new wedges and potentially new irons

Back