Optical illusions in golf swing pictures

Maybe you can send it to Tim(?) from Miyazaki and see what he thinks...JB might be able to help you out with that

Here is another one from behind. This does not look as drastic.

shaftbend3.png

I saw this brought up someplace else, I can't remember where. It was something to do with the scan of the camera going from top to boittom of the frame. It was suggested the camera should go the other way. That was for a still shot though, but had the same strange curvature of the shaft. It would be hard to view the video if you turned the camera 90°.

It was pointed out that if you are able to see the shadow of the club, the shadow is straight because it was scanned before the clubhead was.

That makes a lot of sense.

that looks ok. What flex do you have on it? I know Miyazaki has a 4 point system

I have a stiff. I should really go get fitted. I might do that this week actually.

You're right, Smalls. It's more an illusion that anything, and it has to do with the actual video imaging itself moreso than with Seth's shaft or swing.

I remember back in the day (late 80's - 90's) when the networks were using basic quality video replays for sports this same thing would happen. During PGA events they'd do a slow-mo frame by frame replay of a swing and the shaft would literally look like it was bending forward with the clubhead leading the golfer's hands. With modern high-speed digital cameras (or old-school film for that matter) this illusion doesn't happen.

I have a stiff. I should really go get fitted. I might do that this week actually.

That shaft is not to light for you. Dont sweat it seth, it has little to do with the shaft and more to do with the camera.

It's the camera playing tricks on your eyes.Don't worry about flex of your shaft

Here is another pic show same abnormal effect
post-23815-1237093646-1.jpg

It is a camera effect. If you believe it is not an optical illusion caused by the camera please explain this helicopter's rotor blades...
helicopter.jpg

It is a camera effect. If you believe it is not an optical illusion caused by the camera please explain this helicopter's rotor blades...

That's the new style, BigLefty. It helps with cutting through the air. Where have you been with all this new technology? hehe

That shaft is not to light for you. Dont sweat it seth, it has little to do with the shaft and more to do with the camera.

Good. I tried an X at the outing and hated it. I did think that my normal swing was just about right for a S flex, but this still just threw me for a loop. Swinging Biggsy's club felt like trying to swing a 2 by 4. I don't have any illusions about hitting the ball long anymore, I just want to hit it straight.

I am just hitting my driver so bad right now that I am looking for something to ease my mind. I suppose I should practice it more than I do. The short game is so much more fun to practice.

Edit: I would use womens flex if it helped me hit the ball straighter.

you are definitely in the minority there compared to the rest of the golfing community
Good. I tried an X at the outing and hated it. I did think that my normal swing was just about right for a S flex, but this still just threw me for a loop. Swinging Biggsy's club felt like trying to swing a 2 by 4. I don't have any illusions about hitting the ball long anymore, I just want to hit it straight.

I am just hitting my driver so bad right now that I am looking for something to ease my mind. I suppose I should practice it more than I do. The short game is so much more fun to practice.

Edit: I would use womens flex if it helped me hit the ball straighter.

you are definitely in the minority there compared to the rest of the golfing community

Yeah, I really am. There is just something about getting the ball close to the hole from 10-60 yards out that fascinates me.

I agree with you Seth. I love practicing the short game. IF I spent more time practicing the long ball perhaps I would gain more distance. The challenge to me is hitting those shots inside 100 yards. Those are my favorites.

I hit 6 buckets at the range and I mostly used the driver. I alternated the 3w, 3h and 4i just to break it up.

Why do I do this?>

Why do I do this?>

Do you guys know why i do this and how to fix it?>

swing910.jpg

Untuck your shirt? I am really not sure...haha

Actually, that is an optical illusion. The camera takes the picture from top to bottom. Set the camera the other way and you should see that disappear.

You notice the shadow of the shaft is straight. Your clubhead is not really getting that far ahead.

Not again,You guys take care of this one

That is a result of the camera you are using, and not a result of your swing. There is a thread floating around here about it... with far better information about why it happens. It has something to do with the way the camera refreshes its frames

it doesnt really explain the bend, i mean it should bend the other way or be straight

it doesnt really explain the bend, i mean it should bend the other way or be straight

Because its not a bend. Its the camera lens and what it is picking up. It has nothing to do with your swing.

It's an illusion.Take another photo like that one,but turn the camera vertical,problem fixed

Back