Rocco Mediate No Longer With Callaway

I have heard from a very close friend that he is an inch close to signing with Cobra along with one other BIG named star.... Let's se if Old Gray's predictions are true :eek:)

I have heard from a very close friend that he is an inch close to signing with Cobra along with one other BIG named star.... Let's se if Old Gray's predictions are true :eek:)

Good thing because it looks like there is a strong possibility that they are going to lose two others soon! If that happens, it will be a whole different ball game out there.

Last edited:
I see him going to Titleist or maybe even Taylormade.

I could see tm but Idk about Titleist. I just cant see one of the most laid back guys in golf joining Titleist.

How about Cleveland? Who do they have right now?

I could see tm but Idk about Titleist. I just cant see one of the most laid back guys in golf joining Titleist.

How about Cleveland? Who do they have right now?

Yeah Adam Scott is real uptight? haha That and Charley Hoffman.

Cleveland/Srixon has a large staff roster. Vijay and Furyk to name a few. How about Boo.

We just got word from a pretty reliable source that he has offers from four companies right now and will be making a decision extremely soon. None has been made at this time according to his own people.

Yeah Adam Scott is real uptight? haha That and Charley Hoffman.

Cleveland/Srixon has a large staff roster. Vijay and Furyk to name a few. How about Boo.

Lol. Hoffman is definatly not uptight. I didnt know srixon was with cleveland. I could definatley see cleveland now, Boo and Rocco would be awesome for an ad campaign.

Lol. Hoffman is definatly not uptight. I didnt know srixon was with cleveland. I could definatley see cleveland now, Boo and Rocco would be awesome for an ad campaign.

For future reference, here ya go.

Sri Rubber owns Sri Sports. Sri Sports owns Cleveland, Srixon, Never Compromise, and Miyazaki

Dang J B, someone has a little too much free time. J/k. Thanks

he'd be perfect for some commercials down at the oven.

Dang J B, someone has a little too much free time. J/k. Thanks

Kind of easy when we deal with them daily and it is the same person for all companies

Do people really care about who is sponsored by what company and actually make purchasing decisions based on this? Rocco should go to Wilson or Adams, as he his on his way to the Senior tour soon and they seem to be big with the old guys, Adams that is.

People have favorite brands and root for those brands. Similar to the way people root for teams in sports. I dont think it has a lot to do with wanting to play the same stuff Rocco plays. But if someone is a Rocco fan for instance, they may want him to go to a brand that they like.

But to think people dont base their decisions off of what players are carrying is also naive. It has been this way for decades. Have you seen the shoe deals in the NBA? Or any other pro sport for that matter. Heck, every commercial in the world is geared towards this. Golf is no different and has been for decades. People look up to and admire pro athletes and it has been that way forever.

Do people really care about who is sponsored by what company and actually make purchasing decisions based on this? Rocco should go to Wilson or Adams, as he his on his way to the Senior tour soon and they seem to be big with the old guys, Adams that is.

Let me ask, would nike be on anybodys list of clubs to buy if Tiger hadnt joined them? A high profile player really boosts revenue, because ppl reason that if it is good enough for so and so, it is good enough for them.

I think so. Nike has come a long way in quality and technology since Tiger came along. WOuld their following be as pronounced without him? Probably not. But I think people would still play their clubs based on their brand recognition and advertising power.

Might not be the best comparison but look at Titleist. Who can you think of that immediately comes to mind as a 'Titleist' guy that makes you say "Player x plays Titleist and so do i?" Titleist has incredible marketing and brand recognition but no real single player to identify with their brand
Let me ask, would nike be on anybodys list of clubs to buy if Tiger hadnt joined them? A high profile player really boosts revenue, because ppl reason that if it is good enough for so and so, it is good enough for them.

Might not be the best comparison but look at Titleist. Who can you think of that immediately comes to mind as a 'Titleist' guy that makes you say "Player x plays Titleist and so do i?" Titleist has incredible marketing and brand recognition but no real single player to identify with their brand

Perfect comparison. Look at the other side of the marketing and that is as a group. Look at both Footjoy and Titleist golf balls, both Acushnet brands. Both spend MILLIONS to be able to say "most used on tour". If people dont think that it means something, go into any pro shop and ask what the number one shoe or ball purchased is? Both of those, whether they are right for the player or not.

Nothing wrong with either product, but watching senior golfers at the amateur level with swing speeds in the 70s playing Pro V1s and Pro V1x because "they are teh best ball" says marketing is at its finest.

As for the poster saying go play Adams because its prevelent on the Senior tour, isnt that not another example of marketing at its finest?

I think so. Nike has come a long way in quality and technology since Tiger came along. WOuld their following be as pronounced without him? Probably not. But I think people would still play their clubs based on their brand recognition and advertising power.

I think they would still have good golf products, but Tiger is really what helped them get their foot in the door.

Good example with Titleist.

Is taylormade a safe bet? they seem to have the most stuff out there, from what i see on tv.

Is taylormade a safe bet? they seem to have the most stuff out there, from what i see on tv.

Actually Titleist pays the most players, but TM is second.

This has been one of the best threads I have ever read on THP because it brings into question why do people buy certain clubs. I think JB is 100 percent right about people wanting to play what the pro's play. I remember when I was in high school John Daly was doing commercials for Nitro Golf balls where he would hit the golf balls out of a baseball stadium, and I thought man those things must be long if John Daly endorses them. Now we all know it was simply a rock with a cover but I was new to the game, knew little about equipment and had no clue balls made a difference. So how much influence does marketing have on the uneducated hacker? How many people play Nike because Tiger does? When I think of Titleist pro's I think of Davis Love III and Steve Elkington. I think because they have been Titleist men for years and when I bought my first set of irons I wanted what Davis Love played and bought DCI blacks. So that brings up golfers who are stars as opposed to champions. Sergio is a big player of TM and has been for years but is he a star or a champion? Phil won his first major with Titleist as did Tiger when they were stars but now they are champions playing a different brand that gives them more money and more creative control. That is the trend in equipment deals and Ryan Moore is one of the first to break that mold.

So I think the moral of this story is golf has always been about what the pro's play, look at Mickelson's much scrutinized switch to Callaway right before the Ryder Cup, but golf is evolving into what is best for our games and that's the way it should be. Sites like THP, golfers like THP members and most importantly companies like Bridgestone, Adams, Cleveland and Taylormade are helping people get in clubs that will help their game the most. And I like that alot better than a 18 handicapper trying to hit forged blades because Tiger does it.

This has been one of the best threads I have ever read on THP because it brings into question why do people buy certain clubs. I think JB is 100 percent right about people wanting to play what the pro's play. I remember when I was in high school John Daly was doing commercials for Nitro Golf balls where he would hit the golf balls out of a baseball stadium, and I thought man those things must be long if John Daly endorses them. Now we all know it was simply a rock with a cover but I was new to the game, knew little about equipment and had no clue balls made a difference. So how much influence does marketing have on the uneducated hacker? How many people play Nike because Tiger does? When I think of Titleist pro's I think of Davis Love III and Steve Elkington. I think because they have been Titleist men for years and when I bought my first set of irons I wanted what Davis Love played and bought DCI blacks. So that brings up golfers who are stars as opposed to champions. Sergio is a big player of TM and has been for years but is he a star or a champion? Phil won his first major with Titleist as did Tiger when they were stars but now they are champions playing a different brand that gives them more money and more creative control. That is the trend in equipment deals and Ryan Moore is one of the first to break that mold.

So I think the moral of this story is golf has always been about what the pro's play, look at Mickelson's much scrutinized switch to Callaway right before the Ryder Cup, but golf is evolving into what is best for our games and that's the way it should be. Sites like THP, golfers like THP members and most importantly companies like Bridgestone, Adams, Cleveland and Taylormade are helping people get in clubs that will help their game the most. And I like that alot better than a 18 handicapper trying to hit forged blades because Tiger does it.

I tend to more or less try to wear what the pro's wear rather than what they play. One of my favorite golfers is Hunter Mahan. I have a pair of Sundog Sunglasses that are his signature series. I do play Ping irons, mostly because I used to steal my dad's eye 2's when I was younger and play with them, the Ping feel grew on me from a young age(I have also played Adams irons in High School). My first purchase after getting my first post college job was a set of i3's.

In the late 90's I was hitting a Taylormade driver, but my dad bought me a Nike 350cc Forged Driver(probably some Tiger influence) and that effected my thoughts on driver. I currently game a Callaway Driver after I lost all confidence in my Nike Sumo 5000. I never really liked Callaway(could be because I am not a huge Phil fan) but this driver just simply worked for me.

another good example is the new taylormade hats the stretch fit. all i have found have the sergio s on the back and they are his "pro model" so they look just like the ones he wears on tour

People have favorite brands and root for those brands. Similar to the way people root for teams in sports. I dont think it has a lot to do with wanting to play the same stuff Rocco plays. But if someone is a Rocco fan for instance, they may want him to go to a brand that they like.

But to think people dont base their decisions off of what players are carrying is also naive. It has been this way for decades. Have you seen the shoe deals in the NBA? Or any other pro sport for that matter. Heck, every commercial in the world is geared towards this. Golf is no different and has been for decades. People look up to and admire pro athletes and it has been that way forever.

I agree with you for the most part. I guess I'm an exception to the rule though because my favorite player is Tiger and I have no desire to play any Nike equipment. Infact I have never looked at the players and wondered what they were using. I am though very influenced by what average golfers like me say on the forums and have bought alot of equipment based on those reviews, most recent example was the Diablo Edge. I'm biased toward Taylormade and always have been but it was never because of a player. I just loved those dang bubble burners back in the day!

I think Rocco should have a hour long show on ESPN to announce what clubs he's going to! :D

...Nike has come a long way in quality and technology since Tiger came along. WOuld their following be as pronounced without him? Probably not...

And now we know the real reason JB plays those MachSpeeds... heh-heh. Just kidding there, big guy.

Back