The Running of the Bulls, 2010

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
This is underway! And I know it's not really a sporting event. It's more of a I can't wait to see how many idiots get gored event!

The only reason I follow this is to root for the bulls.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jUhAbBWpazo8ZDuaGsXAcZKIyZ_gD9GQ52UG0

I put it in spoilers for the injured people images.

Spoiler
Ole! Running of the bulls begins in Spain, 2 hurt

By ALAN CLENDENNING (AP) – 5 hours ago

PAMPLONA, Spain — Thousands of daredevils dashed through Pamplona's historic old quarter Wednesday for a goring-free first bull run at the San Fermin fiesta, a raucous event that ushers in Spain's summer party season.

ALeqM5hZKf1OiYztH4jQE5Oh0HWaMUKErw
ALeqM5h9fIl1YzXW69D6i2NV24Tw1ATy1w

The thrillseekers raced to keep ahead of six fighting bulls and six bell-tinkling steers tasked with trying to keep the beasts together along the 930-yard (850-meter) course from a holding pen to the bull ring in this northern city. Several runners were knocked to the ground and some were trampled on by the animals weighing more than 1,100 pounds (500 kilograms) but there were no gorings or life-threatening injuries.

An 18-year-old man from Melbourne, Australia, suffered an eye injury and a 20-year old Spaniard suffered multiple contusions, Navarra state government said on its web site. Both were hospitalized but their injuries were not considered serious. They were identified only by their initials.

ALeqM5h7-ElTUcqoB86qcoSCv9cNz9k3CA

The 8 a.m. daily run is the highlight of the nine-day street drinking festival, and comes after a full day and night of hard partying. Dozens of runners, dressed in the festival's traditional white shirts and pants with red sashes, sang a chant to a statue of San Fermin at the start of the route seconds before a firecracker rocket blast signaled the release of the bulls from the pen. Waiting on a corner was retired American pilot Peter Rostow, who then dashed about 35 yards (meters) alongside the bulls on a cobblestoned street before taking cover in a doorway, his heart pumping with adrenaline. He drank only water the day before to prepare.

"I know bulls, but they came about a hundred times faster than I thought they would," said Rostow, 58, of Austin, Texas. "I wasn't prepared for that, and the intensity of the senses was overwhelming, the smell of the bulls, the sound of them running, and the fear."

The run, broadcast live on national television, lasted 2 minutes and 45 seconds, a relatively fast sprint that saw the bulls staying together and paying little attention to the runners. Spaniard Alfonso Gamboa didn't run but said the race was considered a good one because the bulls stayed in a tight pack.

ALeqM5ixQVNYcvBneB0I8n6Qx35AL5whrA

"They went quickly and together, and because of that the people could run well," said Gamboa, 50, a Pamplona businessman. "It was pretty, and there weren't a lot of drunks."

The bulls that ran Wednesday morning will be killed in the evening in the bull ring, and their meat served up in Pamplona's restaurants. After the run, people packed the bull ring to chase and taunt young calves while others resumed partying around the town, swilling beer, sangria and wine on the streets and in jammed bars. The festival features eight bull runs in total.

The party's start was marred Tuesday when Basque separatists prohibited from displaying their flag on a huge stage unfurled a banner demanding that terrorists convicted of bombings and killings be moved to prisons closer to their relatives. Police intervened, beating people with batons, and fistfights also broke out between supporters and opponents of the ETA Basque separatist group. Some hurled beer and champagne bottles at officers, but ended up hitting people in the crowd instead, witnesses said.

Police at the scene declined comment. The Diario de Navarra newspaper reported Wednesday that a 31-year-old Spanish woman suffered serious injuries after being hit in the head with a bottle. But the party resumed quickly after the melee, masses of partiers drinking all night on the streets, yelling "San Fermin!" and "Ole!"

Dozens are injured each year in the morning runs. Most get hurt after falling, but some are gored and trampled by the beasts. Last year's festival saw the first fatal goring in nearly 15 years.

Associated Press writers Ciaran Giles and Victor Caivano contributed from Madrid and Pamplona.

Ole! Score two for the bulls!

guess I shouldn't admit that I'd ,like to do this one day then....hahaha

You can do it, but I'll be rooting for the bulls! hehehe

I'll root for you anywhere else but if you're gonna run around the closed streets with a bunch of bulls, I gotta go with the bulls! lol

You can do it, but I'll be rooting for the bulls! hehehe

I'll root for you anywhere else but if you're gonna run around the closed streets with a bunch of bulls, I gotta go with the bulls! lol

Just wanted to put a 'shout out' to my avatar. TORO! TORO! TORO!

this is like a bad train wreck, you dont wanna look but just cant help it! oh yeah, GO BULLS!

Has to be one of, or the, craziest thing out there!

Does the new Obama health care cover this?

Does the new Obama health care cover this?

They would deem "stupidity" a pre-existing condition, and you'd be denied...

I'm with you Thanks, I would like to do this as well.

Just because your running doesn't make you a :chicken:

Day two, two more gorings! One on national TV! Great stuff!

http://seerpress.com/two-gorings-mark-second-pamplona-running-of-bulls/2217/

Again, I love hearing about these people getting hurt while doing something so stupid! My opionion, of course!

On Thursday, two men were gored during the running of the bulls event of the popular San Fermin fiesta, said officials. The event also left four people injured from falls.

Thousands of participants attended the event, where they have to run ahead of six bulls in a 930 yard course starting from the holding pen and ending at a bull ring in the northern part of town.

The run, which lasted less than four minutes, was filled with tense and dangerous moments when some of the bulls became separated from the rest of the pack. One bull even stopped short of the bull ring’s entrance and started at the participants while it paced ominously.

The first goring was caught on national TV, where the camera showed one man getting hit squarely on the chest before being thrown off violently to the ground.

Dr. Fernando Boneta of the Navarra Hospital said the first goring was a direct hit in the thorax. The second injury was slightly less serious, with the man gored in his left leg. The nationalities and names of those who were gored were not immediately released.

The four injured sustained cuts and bruises after falling in the duration of the run.

Wednesday’s run recorded no gorings, though several others were injured after being trampled on by the bulls.

An 18-year-old tourist from Australia was in critical condition due to three fractured vertebrae . The injury was sustained during the run, though the Navarra regional government has not released a statement as to the specific cause of the injury.

The running of the bulls is a televised event, shown live on national television. After the run, the bulls are later killed during the evening and their meat distributed among Pamplona’s many restaurants to be served up.

Love the people getting trampled!

And the goring, the best part of it all! In spoilers, just in case!

Spoiler

All of the gorings should be in the nether regions, so these people don't contribute anymore to the gene pool! hehehe

And the goring, the best part of it all! In spoilers, just in case!

Spoiler

All of the gorings should be in the nether regions, so these people don't contribute anymore to the gene pool! hehehe

Some really good gorgings in the spoiler!

Day three, more wins for the bulls.

Spoilers for the queasy.
Spoiler

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/09/AR2010070901422.html

Adrenalin and injuries in Spain's running of the bulls

Friday, July 9, 2010; 6:53 AM

MADRID (Reuters Life!) - A runner was gored in the thigh by a bulls' horn on Friday as Spain's adrenaline-filled week-long running of the bulls at the San Fermin festival in Pamplona entered day three.

A menacing black bull separated itself from the herd and lingered behind, raising the threat to runners and prolonging the usually short race to more than six minutes through the streets Pamplona in northern Spain. Three others were admitted to hospital, the Red Cross said during its customary post-race report of injuries. A day earlier a 43-year-old Irishman identified only as C.C. was admitted to hospital for a gash from a bull's horn, and a 21-year old Spaniard was fighting for his life in hospital for several hours but his condition has improved.

"Today's race had the added complication of many more people than the previous two days," Miguel Angel Castander, one of Friday's runners, told TVE television after the race.

Friday's race lasted 6 minutes 23 seconds, compared to Thursday's race, which took just 3 minutes 30 seconds. Each morning for seven days, runners dressed in white trousers and red scarves coax a herd of six bulls through Pamplona's crowd-lined streets to the main bullfighting ring, where the bulls are reconvened each afternoon for bullfighting. The route they follow is the same each day, but the livestock used come from different areas of Spain. At least one woman participated in the mostly male run on Friday.

The more fluid the movement of the race the better, but in Friday's race one stray bull held back, slipping over on the pavement at every turn, looking disoriented yet observant. The runners made tentative moves to touch the bull to encourage it to keep running, dashing out if its way just before it reacted, to avoid being caught by its sharp horns.

At last year's festival, which takes place each July, and attracts considerable interest from both tourists and Spaniards, there was one fatal goring - the first since 2003.

There have been 15 deaths in total caused by the race since the Plaza de Toros was erected in 1922, according to last year's reports from El Pais newspaper.

San Fermin's running of the bulls is an ancient tradition. It was made famous by Ernest Hemingway in his novel "The Sun Also Rises," a semi-autobiographical account of an alcohol-fueled visit to the festival by a group of squabbling British and American friends in the 1920s. Runners in the race are not allowed to drink, and such an early start makes it less likely, but in Friday's race one of the runners taken to hospital had been drinking, officials reported.

(Reporting by Alice Tozer, editing by Fiona Ortiz and Paul Casciato)

Smalls, your avatar hides a darker side of you.....hehe

damn that one from yesterday where their in a narrow alley is crazy! that bull at the 1 min mark just would not leave kept going back for more! lol!

damn that one from yesterday where their in a narrow alley is crazy! that bull at the 1 min mark just would not leave kept going back for more! lol!

I love that we have a few more days of this. Maybe one of the bulls will get a bulls eye before it's over! hehehe

your sick smalls! but thats why I like you! :act-up:

Only one more day for the bulls to pick up more people points.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jUhAbBWpazo8ZDuaGsXAcZKIyZ_gD9GU9M2O0

3 injured in Spain's running of the bulls

By ALVARO BARRIENTOS (AP) – 1 hour ago

PAMPLONA, Spain — A man was gored in an arm and two others were injured in a fast-paced penultimate running of the bulls at Spain's San Fermin festival Tuesday, officials said.

All three — Spanish men whose identities and ages were not disclosed — were hospitalized and later released, the regional government of Navarra said, adding that three other people injured during the seven days of runs remain hospitalized. Renowned bullfighter Julian Lopez Escobar, also known as "El Juli," also was discharged from a hospital after having been gored in the scrotum during a bullfight.

Those still hospitalized were a 37-year-old Pamplona resident, well known locally for running the course every year and who was injured Sunday; a 20-year-old British man gored Friday; and an 18-year-old Australian whose vertebrae was injured July 7, the regional government said.

Tuesday's run lasted two minutes and 14 seconds, the fastest of seven staged so far. Several thousand people took part in the event, although the crowd was noticeably smaller than in previous runs. The runs are the highlight of the nine-day festival, which also features all-night partying and attracts tens of thousands of people, many from abroad.

Several people were treated by Spanish Red Cross crews on the street after the run for bruises and cuts sustained in falls. The bulls are accompanied by six steers, used to help guide the bulls along the slippery 930-yard (850-meter) stretch from a holding pen on the edge of town to the central bull ring. Two of the bulls managed to race ahead of the pack and caused moments of panic as they tried repeatedly to toss runners along the way. The bulls are killed by matadors in bullfights later in the day.

El Juli was injured in the Pamplona bullfight Monday night, the regional government said. He is one of Spain's most famous matadors, known for a fearless style that involves making cape passes on bulls while standing dangerously close to the hulking animals and for making his professional debut in Mexico in 1997 at the age of 14.

A 22-year-old American, who had received a similar injury Wednesday when a horned juvenile cow tore his scrotum, has been released from hospital, authorities said.

The government announced Tuesday that the Pamplona festival will become the subject of a Bollywood movie called "Zindagi milegi da dobara" ("You only live once"), with a budget of euro11.5 million ($14.5 million).

Associated Press writer Harold Heckle in Madrid contributed to this report.

come on smalls wheres the videos! :D

lol what not enough blood for ya! :act-up:

That's about right! The recent ones just had people falling, no good tramplings or gorings.

lol I knew they werent up to your standards or you would have posted them!

Back