Official NBA Thread

why? let the Knicks rot. they haven't been relevant in years. the team he'd be going to in NYC is far worse with Amare than the one he'd be leaving behind in Cleveland and he'd be killed by the media if they didn't climb out of the abyss

I hope he goes to NY to play with Amare, who I think is better then Bosh. no big NBA fan but its time for the Knicks to climb out of the abyss that Isiah put them in. although Chi-town has to still be in the mix after signing Boozer and having Rose already. as far as the press conf. it is really sad. I know money will go to a great cause but come on a one HOUR special to say where he is signing?

bron bron to make his big decision tomorrow at 9pm EST

edit: i watched chris bosh in highschool(Dallas Lincoln) at the state championship game in austin, texas and even got his autograph. its just cool to see that he is a star in the nba now..

bron bron to make his big decision tomorrow at 9pm EST

edit: i watched chris bosh in highschool(Dallas Lincoln) at the state championship game in austin, texas and even got his autograph. its just cool to see that he is a star in the nba now..

I have a similar type story, though my guy (Wayne Chism) isn't near as famous. I got to play against him and Willie Kemp, who went on to play at Memphis, in the playoffs my sophomore year. Wayne dunked on me and made me look like a child in the paint, which I definitely was compared to him. They had us handily beat by halftime.

haha it's kind of like the most interesting man in the world commercial where it says you would feel the erge to say thank you if he punched you. and in you case you should feel honored you got dunked on by him lol.. good stuff man! ya bosh was 6 foot 11 as a senior when I saw him play at state they where just ridiculous. il see if I can't find the signature and post a picture of it up. he signed it on the state basketball magazine they had there.. I think I saw it the other day in the trophy case. il check tomorrow.

Being a cleveland fan this hurts me to say... BUT
If LBJ wants to win he needs to go to Chicago.

Rose
Hinrich
James
Boozer
Noah

Throw in Deng off the bench and you have a VERY good basketball team. Rose is a playmaker who doesn't have a selfish bone in his body which pairs well with James who wants the ball but will gladly give it up to someone open (7.6 assists per game). Noah is becoming one heck of a big man and Boozer finishes well from the post, commands a double team, and eats rebounds.

That team, IMO, is better than the Chalmers, Wade, LBJ, Beasly, Bosh line-up in Miami

Yoccos made a point about LeBron only wanting to grow his brand, and an angle that many people dont look at, chicago already has their hero. Mj will never be replaced. In miami, he will be surrounded by talent, and be in a very influential area. The way i see it, heat games will sell out every night, merchandising will go through the roof there,and he will find many new opportunities to make the 30 million dollars that he couldn't receive as a free-agent. The wild card here is how he would adapt to the miami life style if he does indeed sign to the heat. I find that almost as interesting as the superteam/superdisaster that the heat could become.

Being a cleveland fan this hurts me to say... BUT
If LBJ wants to win he needs to go to Chicago.

Rose
Hinrich
James
Boozer
Noah

Throw in Deng off the bench and you have a VERY good basketball team. Rose is a playmaker who doesn't have a selfish bone in his body which pairs well with James who wants the ball but will gladly give it up to someone open (7.6 assists per game). Noah is becoming one heck of a big man and Boozer finishes well from the post, commands a double team, and eats rebounds.

That team, IMO, is better than the Chalmers, Wade, LBJ, Beasly, Bosh line-up in Miami

At least one of the guys you mentioned is not even on Chicago anymore. Making the starting lineup different. I could not disagree more on this one. Chicago has virtually no other offensive weapons that can shoot making penetrating style players obsolete in sharing the ball. Noah has no offensive skills, Rose cannot shoot, Deng cannot shoot, and Boozer cannot shoot. Add that to James who is another penetrating player and you have a crowded key with nobody to shoot from the outside. Now add the fact that they will be capped almost and they cannot add a shooter either. Without someone else like a Wade going there or them landing Joe Johnson (who took another deal), the Chicago deal will not help him win. In fact the team would struggle more with him in my opinion.

In other news, they have said openly in most reports that if he chooses Miami, Chalmers and Beasly get shipped in an attempt to go after Andre Miller (another PG that is unselfish and has experience)

Imagine all 3 went to miami, and 1, or even worse 2 guys got hurt. Wow thats an expensive basketball team. But hey, you take your chances i guess

Imagine all 3 went to miami, and 1, or even worse 2 guys got hurt. Wow thats an expensive basketball team. But hey, you take your chances i guess

Every basketball team in the league has virtually the same salary. They have a cap and play to those maxed caps.

For those looking at this from a jaded point of view, here is a GREAT STORY on the subject from that point of view that says "really"?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-lebrondecision070710

When I say expensive basketball team, I mean an expensive front line. Other teams can afford to spend maybe a little more on depth, where as this team could have it all on the frontline
Every basketball team in the league has virtually the same salary. They have a cap and play to those maxed caps.

For those looking at this from a jaded point of view, here is a GREAT STORY on the subject from that point of view that says "really"?

When I say expensive basketball team, I mean an expensive front line. Other teams can afford to spend maybe a little more on depth, where as this team could have it all on the frontline

Not really the case either. Look at the Celts big 3, or the Lakers big 3, or the Spurs big 3, or the Hawks big 3. Its the same on almost every team. The top 3 players eat up a huge chunk of payroll because NBA salaries are slotted. Rookies get X amount of money for their first 3 years. Then slotted contracts lead to max salaries for most stars.

I figured this big 3 might cost a little more, as i didnt know the other teams had max salaries for their 3 big stars aswell. You learn something new everyday

Here is a brief summary. NBA teams operate under a salary cap of 58 million dollars for this year.

Salaries are done by percentages and contracts are not equal for all players.. Maximum contract percentages are not equal for all players; it depends on a player’s years of NBA experience.

Years of Experience
0-6 years: 25% of the cap
7-9 years: 30% of the cap
10 or more years: 35% of the cap

Based on that, most teams can afford 2.5-3 max deals if they fill their team with younger players outside of that or role players outside of that. The NBA cap is not a traditional cap at all however.

Ironically James, Wade, and Bosh are all at the 7 year mark. It looks like $16.6 million will be the mark for most of the guys, however they stagger deals to offer more money in different areas to add to the lump sum and get some guys well over that mark.

Edit: One more thing to consider is the Larry Bird rule which allows a player to resign with his team (if they kept his rights and if he has already gone through 2 contract cycles with the same team) for 105% over his previous deal. At the end of the day, Miami after resigning Wade, will have just under 28 million for Bosh and another player.

I listen to ESPN radio in the morning, and it's been nothing but Lebron talk for the last few days, I can't wait for tonight, so they can start talking about something else. And then whenever his contract is up they'll start talking about it all over!

its just like the brett favre story every year lol

its just like the brett favre story every year lol

I dont remember Brett Favre making his own 1 hour special on TV. The media wouldnt stop, but Lebron is doing this all on his own.

I remember reading somewhere that while there is a cap, if teams go over it then they pay a tax to the others kinda like baseball. The Lakers were the biggest violaters of the cap being 16 million over it. I guess in all sorts if you want to be a champion you gotta pay for it!

but take this with a grain of salt...my friend who works in the NBA offices is saying that he's going to the Knicks.

I guess the point is is that no one knows what the hell he's doing and the media is creating an even bigger feeding frenzy for info then there really needs to be. I never thought Favre Watch could be topped for silliness but Where's Lebron Going? is leading by 2 lengths and pulling away....

ESPN is reporting that Miami is the front-runner for LBJ now...wow.

"ESPN's Chris Broussard, who broke the Chris Bosh - Dwyane Wade-to-Miami story, called the Miami Heat the 'clear front-runner' to land LeBron James." - rotoworld

wow! bosh, wade, bron. thats just scary. they should have no problem winning alot of games if not the whole thing. crazy stuff.

bron leaning towards the heat. "REPORTED" BY CHRIS BROUSSARD THOUGH

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5363055

So you guys aren't enjoying the TMZ, I mean ESPN coverage of this?

I guess when it's not NFL season, they have to make up news stories to fill the time now.

i honestly think he will go to the heat but i could be wrong. and also if he goes to the heat that means more money for bosh to. because there would be a ton of commercials about the "NEW BIG 3" and i think that extra money for bosh will make him happily take his 12 mill and change and let leBron take that max salary plus his other huge endorsements and fit in just fine and try to win a few rings. there is no telling how much extra money those 3 will make if they're all together..

I remember reading somewhere that while there is a cap, if teams go over it then they pay a tax to the others kinda like baseball. The Lakers were the biggest violaters of the cap being 16 million over it. I guess in all sorts if you want to be a champion you gotta pay for it!

That is what I said earlier. it is not a hard cap. And no, not in all sports. Football and Hockey both have hard caps. Basketball and MLB have luxury tax caps. But they are not the same at all. Because of max contracts and tiered caps, you cannot just pay a person whatever you want in the NBA like you can in MLB. Again as noted earlier.

but take this with a grain of salt...my friend who works in the NBA offices is saying that he's going to the Knicks.

I guess the point is is that no one knows what the hell he's doing and the media is creating an even bigger feeding frenzy for info then there really needs to be. I never thought Favre Watch could be topped for silliness but Where's Lebron Going? is leading by 2 lengths and pulling away....

If he goes to Miami, he will earn less than if he goes to NY, as it stands right now. But he looks to have a better chance to win by sheer numbers anyway. My money was on NY from the beginning, but after the fiasco with the meeting, it is anybody's guess. In all the capology in the in the world, if he goes to the Heat, it means he swallows his pride. Because he will NOT be the highest paid player on the team. It just does not work that way, thanks to the Larry Bird rule, that is what happens to return players.

Even with FL's no income tax laws?

If he goes to Miami, he will earn less than if he goes to NY, as it stands right now. But he looks to have a better chance to win by sheer numbers anyway. My money was on NY from the beginning, but after the fiasco with the meeting, it is anybody's guess. In all the capology in the in the world, if he goes to the Heat, it means he swallows his pride. Because he will NOT be the highest paid player on the team. It just does not work that way, thanks to the Larry Bird rule, that is what happens to return players.

Back