One Club Too Many, please help!

Vadim

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys, I have 15 clubs in my bag and have already removed 4i, please help me decide which club to get rid of, thanks! (i have to have my niblicks though :))

Driver
3-wood
4 hybrid
5i
6i
7i
8i
9i
PW (46*)
51 sw
56 lw
60 xlw
42 NL
56 NL
Putter

Last edited:
I vote out the 56* wedge. The 56NL can do its job.

Aren't your 9-iron and your 42* Niblick the same loft? If so, I'd get rid of one of them. Same with your SW and 56* Niblick.

You have two 56*... thats what I would suggest.

If you're stuck on your NL and want to keep them and your wedges I'd lean toward pulling your PW. It's likely only 2 degrees different than your 51 degree gap anyway.

da 56 w has gots to go

If you're stuck on your NL and want to keep them and your wedges I'd lean toward pulling your PW. It's likely only 2 degrees different than your 51 degree gap anyway.

are you entirely positive? Ive seen 46* pitches and Ive seen 50 degree pitches.

the two clubs that you hit the closest distance wise, you should pull the lesser, and learn to choke down an inch or so on the farther of the two clubs

i dont know much about niblicks though

Maybe. If he's playing TM Burner irons or any of the newer strong-lofted irons, the PW would be 45*, leaving a 6* gap.

I would say the SW, or whichever club the 56 NB fills in for.

wow you guys are quick and awesome with suggestions, thank you, I see that most of you recommend pulling the plug in PW and/or SW I guess I will just have to see how I perform with 56NL out of the sand.

Would you have pulled out the 4i like I did though?

I would definitely get rid of the 60*.

But, that's just me.

I think 56* wedge no use having 2 of the same loft I don't think, unless you are only using the Nib for 1/4 the shots it is capable of.

Not sure about the niblick either... not even sure if I have ever seen one in person.

But I would say pull either the 56w or 60w. Keep the one that you have the most confidence with out of the sand. I bet you could learn to hit the gap wedge to fill in any distances. Are the niblick 56 and 56w equal in distance?

Add. seems like you have 7 clubs filling the gaps of 5. I would spend time dialing in the distances of each club, and make you decison accordingly. And again, would keep the one you feel best with out of sand and thick rough.

I think a club is missing between the 3 wood and 4 hybrid as well. That's a lot of distance not covered between those clubs.

I'm more of the mindset of having many wedges is NOT a good thing at all, especially for high HCP'ers. Wedges can be tough to hit. Why have more than 3 to have to worry about hitting properly all the time?

Get consistent and good w/ two or three of them, and to me, that's all you should need.

because most of my shots happen in the 50 yeards in, so my shortgame needs lots of work and long game is tuned in fine I think

because most of my shots happen in the 50 yeards in, so my shortgame needs lots of work and long game is tuned in fine I think

That still doesn't explain you having a large yardage gap between your wood and hybrid. Your long game can be fine, but you still need the right clubs to fill in yardage gaps.

And just by having 5 wedges isn't a cure for short game problems. In fact, I make the argument that it makes it worse.

You should add a poll. May the best club win. Or lose. haha

That still doesn't explain you having a large yardage gap between your wood and hybrid. Your long game can be fine, but you still need the right clubs to fill in yardage gaps.

And just by having 5 wedges isn't a cure for short game problems. In fact, I make the argument that it makes it worse.

You saying I have a guge distance gap between my 3wood and 4hybrid? how does having variety of short game clubs make it worse? using this logic your suggestion for 4-5 woods would also be counterproductive

You saying I have a guge distance gap between my 3wood and 4hybrid? how does having variety of short game clubs make it worse? using this logic your suggestion for 4-5 woods would also be counterproductive

I think what NG is saying is that your 3W (mine is 15*) and your 4H (mine is 22*) have such a large loft difference, there's likely a big distance gap.

Yes. Look, I take it you're pretty new to the game or are just quite inexperienced.

Read what I've said earlier regarding all of the wedges and how they can actually make things worse than make things better.

And bonkhead is correct. Your 3 wood is probably 15*. Your 4 hybrid is probably about 23*. I call that a yardage gap.

Yet you have 5 wedges. Hummmmm. I would drop at least 2 wedges and get a 5 wood or 2 hybrid.

I agree with NikeGolf, I dont know of any pros that carry more than 3 wedges, and guys im not including the PW, I think you need to practice hitting different shots and letting your imagination take over, I dont think the answer is to have a different club for every possible shot from 50 yards and in. I think you need to fill in that yardage gap also, unless your so good you can take some off of that 5wood or you can really step on that 4hybrid, and I dont say this being mean but if you were that good you definitely would not have all of those wedges.....thats just my opinion, but hey to each its own, hit em well

I agree with NikeGolf, I dont know of any pros that carry more than 3 wedges, and guys im not including the PW, I think you need to practice hitting different shots and letting your imagination take over, I dont think the answer is to have a different club for every possible shot from 50 yards and in. I think you need to fill in that yardage gap also, unless your so good you can take some off of that 5wood or you can really step on that 4hybrid, and I dont say this being mean but if you were that good you definitely would not have all of those wedges.....thats just my opinion, but hey to each its own, hit em well

Would you pull out 60 or 51 then?

Its hard to say because I dont know much about your game, but you say that you must have your niblicks, and since your a beginner I would say drop the 60, until your game matures some more; you should be able to open up your 56 and use it as a lob wedge....but I would suggest that you definitely fill that gap NikeGolf was talking about, but I will say this if you know the course set up and you know that you dont need that club you can always take the club out and replace it, for example I carry a 54 and 58 Titleist wedge most days but on short golf courses I carry 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges and drop my 3iron

Back