Fitting a Beginner?

8livesleft

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

I'm a beginner. As in, I'm still working on getting my left arm straight on impact haha!

Anyway, I'm out of town and there are a lot of golf shops here and some do fitting. My set is mostly 2nd hand and except my irons but they're 2009-2010 callaway x22 tours. My friend suggested I invest in a driver, and I was planning on getting a nice used one here (I have a Titleist 910 d2).

Since they have fitting, is it a good idea to get fitted on a driver at my level or should I wait till I'm more advanced?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

A fitting isn’t going to hurt, the only concern is that your swing might change some as you improve.

I got fitted as a beginner and was happy that I did. I played with that set until I out grew them. At that time I got refitted again for a new set. I would do it all over again the same way.

Get fit. Better to play clubs that work for your swing instead of making your swing try to make the club work then having to do that again on your next set and so on. Make golf as easy as possible

It won’t fix your swing but a good fitting should help provide better results for the swing you have currently if you’re honest with your feedback to the fitter’s questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No reason not to. Things will change as you progress but you will have what is right for your swing currently.

One fitting variable that may remain the same as you improve will be the shaft weight. Getting fit will help you identify the shaft weight that feels and works best and weight is one of the most important factors in shaft fitting.

I got fit for clubs when I restarted golf again essentially as a beginner. It won't hurt your game any. The biggest issue I saw was that after about 18 months of playing I improved dramatically and what suited me and my swing changed a bunch. Just an excuse to get refit and get more gear!

I got fit for clubs when I restarted golf again essentially as a beginner. It won't hurt your game any. The biggest issue I saw was that after about 18 months of playing I improved dramatically and what suited me and my swing changed a bunch. Just an excuse to get refit and get more gear!
Haha!

This is what I'm worried about. I'm just a few months back into it and I'm already transitioning to a different swing. Most likely, I'll continue to change in the next few months till I get consistent.

Last thing I want is to keep getting new gear because once it starts, there's no stopping it lol

I waited until I had a fairly consistent swing before my first fitting. At almost a year into lessons and playing I think my first fitting (and driver) was well worth the money. My fitting was with my instructor who had the benefit of knowing how my swing was progressing. 6 months post fitting my driver is continuing to deliver a few extra yards each month as we continue to work on my swing. Will I eventually "out grow" my driver? Possibly, but my driver (Callaway Rogue) is adjustable and I am confident that the adjustments can be made as my swing continues to improve. Then again, I'm new to golf, so what do I know. :act-up:

I waited until I had a fairly consistent swing before my first fitting. At almost a year into lessons and playing I think my first fitting (and driver) was well worth the money. My fitting was with my instructor who had the benefit of knowing how my swing was progressing. 6 months post fitting my driver is continuing to deliver a few extra yards each month as we continue to work on my swing. Will I eventually "out grow" my driver? Possibly, but my driver (Callaway Rogue) is adjustable and I am confident that the adjustments can be made as my swing continues to improve. Then again, I'm new to golf, so what do I know. :act-up:
Yeah, I think I'm gonna do the same. My swing is still a bit haywire now. I need to get things under control first.

I think it would be a good idea for you to get fit, your swing is a lot more consistent than you think. Just getting the proper lie angle on your irons would be a big help.

Most every beginner I've known, including myself , is better off not swinging a driver .
My belief is that off of the tee boxes, a player should swing what club he/she can consistently hit straight shots. For some that may be a 7-iron, others a 5-iron. after awhile it may be good to start swinging a hybrid or 5 wood off the tee boxes. Whichever clubs goes consistently straight is the one to play off the tee boxes.
As for a beginner (or most everybody, really) for striking better shots I think money spent on instruction and technique practice time is much more beneficial than spending time or money getting fit for clubs. A competent instructor will advise his/her student if some club (s) in their bag are not right.

Mizuno ST-180 Driver its best of 2018 IMO

Definitely get fit. Finding the right Driver and shaft combo can certainly help.

8, would love to help. The first thing to know is there are no standards for fitting in the golf industry. I went in one place the other day and for fairway metals, they had two different club heads with two different shafts for each, one that had an "R" on it and the other had an "S". They'd let you try each out on their launch monitor, help you compare the numbers and call that a fitting. Another place I go to has literally thousands of combinations for the same club. They'll not only get you in the ideal shaft/clubhead combo, but they'll optimize the lie, launch, swing weight, and grip type and size. There is a lot in between.

IMO, fitting a beginner is different than fitting an experienced player.

Assuming you are an adult, you are not going to get any taller, nor your arms any longer. So fitting you around the ideal setup for shaft length and lie angle is most beneficial. You may not have an ideal setup, or even be close, but that is where you should be headed and fitting this way will encourage you to get there.

Similarly, a good fitter can usually assess your likely potential on swing speed over the next 2-5 years and get you into a roughly right shaft that should serve you over that period of time. Grip sizing can be done by a fitter or through fitting tools online. This mostly has to do with your hand size.

Hope this helps.

8, would love to help. The first thing to know is there are no standards for fitting in the golf industry. I went in one place the other day and for fairway metals, they had two different club heads with two different shafts for each, one that had an "R" on it and the other had an "S". They'd let you try each out on their launch monitor, help you compare the numbers and call that a fitting. Another place I go to has literally thousands of combinations for the same club. They'll not only get you in the ideal shaft/clubhead combo, but they'll optimize the lie, launch, swing weight, and grip type and size. There is a lot in between.

IMO, fitting a beginner is different than fitting an experienced player.

Assuming you are an adult, you are not going to get any taller, nor your arms any longer. So fitting you around the ideal setup for shaft length and lie angle is most beneficial. You may not have an ideal setup, or even be close, but that is where you should be headed and fitting this way will encourage you to get there.

Similarly, a good fitter can usually assess your likely potential on swing speed over the next 2-5 years and get you into a roughly right shaft that should serve you over that period of time. Grip sizing can be done by a fitter or through fitting tools online. This mostly has to do with your hand size.

Hope this helps.
Sounds like it's even more vital that I get my swing consistent first.

If I go in blind, like now, I could get a crap fitting with a guy who just wants to offload his leftover clubs/shafts. And I sure as heck don't want to spend big $$$ for a good fitting.

Sounds like it's even more vital that I get my swing consistent first.

If I go in blind, like now, I could get a crap fitting with a guy who just wants to offload his leftover clubs/shafts. And I sure as heck don't want to spend big $$$ for a good fitting.

Well if you're 6'5" and playing clubs for a "standard" player, then you might develop a weird hunched over style. Conversely, if you're short (like me at 5'2") and you're using clubs too tall, you can also get into bad habits, like pulling in.

I think a static fitting - making sure the length and lie are what you need - would give you plenty of confidence. Develop your swing, and then start getting into the nitty gritty bits.

But I'm a noob too, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

Well if you're 6'5" and playing clubs for a "standard" player, then you might develop a weird hunched over style. Conversely, if you're short (like me at 5'2") and you're using clubs too tall, you can also get into bad habits, like pulling in.

I think a static fitting - making sure the length and lie are what you need - would give you plenty of confidence. Develop your swing, and then start getting into the nitty gritty bits.

But I'm a noob too, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

I also like static fitting. Most people seem to think static is only a "starting point", but I disagree.
Specifically, static sets a player up for the correct length and lie angle to make fundamentally sound swings.
In contrast, the more popular dynamic fittings focuses on sole impact and, or, ball flight. So, I think a dynamic fit may promote existing swing faults.

I also like static fitting. Most people seem to think static is only a "starting point", but I disagree.
Specifically, static sets a player up for the correct length and lie angle to make fundamentally sound swings.
In contrast, the more popular dynamic fittings focuses on sole impact and, or, ball flight. So, I think a dynamic fit may promote existing swing faults.
For what height are standard clubs made for?

For what height are standard clubs made for?

In the past 15 years the "industry standard" 5-iron length has gone from 37.75" to 38.25", so I'll use 38" as an example. That length should be suitable for players in a range of approximately 5'7" to 6'1".

In the past 15 years the "industry standard" 5-iron length has gone from 37.75" to 38.25", so I'll use 38" as an example. That length should be suitable for players in a range of approximately 5'7" to 6'1".
Awesome. I'm right in the middle haha

Mizuno ST 180 Driver

How about putting some money towards a coach and having someone take a look at what you're working with right now first?

I'm certainly inline with getting fitted. It's the way to go, but if there's hesitation because you're worried about getting put in short term gear while your swing progresses, finding a coach could be just as valuable.

How about putting some money towards a coach and having someone take a look at what you're working with right now first?

I'm certainly inline with getting fitted. It's the way to go, but if there's hesitation because you're worried about getting put in short term gear while your swing progresses, finding a coach could be just as valuable.
I agree. Coaching first.

Luckily, I have a friend who's a great golfer and knows how I think so he knows how to advise me in a way that I could easily absorb the info.

Just yesterday, I was hitting my driver poorly, barely getting past 170 yards. Then he came in and gave me some tips, showed me what I was doing and why it was hurting my swing.

At the end of it, I started hitting straighter and past 200. Never did that before.

Back