Anyone have any tips to loosen a stuck knob on a ceiling fan?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Seriously, I have a ceiling fan that I need to change a lightbulb in and the knob that hold the light cover on is stuck. It either got screwed on too tight last time I took it off or it got off thread but I cannot do anything to get it off. It has a smooth surface so I cant get any vice grips on it. I've tried lubing it up with some WD-40 to see if I can get it to move. I'm almost to the point I break the light cover so I can change the bulb and buy a replacement once I get the screw off.

Just figured I'd throw that out there and see if anyone else has ever encountered something similar.

How many are holding it on?

If it's only 3 the other two can come all the way out and wedge it out. If screwed too far in or 4 screws...get a bigger hammer.

Edit...just saw your post and different type. Bigger hammer...sounds like it was cross threaded.

Pic?

What about a rubber jar opener? One of the manual circular ones?

What about a rubber jar opener? One of the manual circular ones?

... and if that doesn't work alone, try using that in conjunction with some vice-grips.

... and if that doesn't work alone, try using that in conjunction with some vice-grips.

Yeah I've tried both of those. I jus can't get a grip on it.

If it's only 3 the other two can come all the way out and wedge it out. If screwed too far in or 4 screws...get a bigger hammer.

Edit...just saw your post and different type. Bigger hammer...sounds like it was cross threaded.

Pic?

6c563f28aa5ffd8fbbfb3a8a2a18d48b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked for a small allen set screw towards the top near the light? Sometimes those have them and not real obvious.

Wouldn't get a hammer just yet as may be difficult to find a replacement glass.

Have you looked for a small allen set screw towards the top near the light? Sometimes those have them and not real obvious.

Wouldn't get a hammer just yet as may be difficult to find a replacement glass.

I'll have to check and see. This light was here when we bought the house 6 years ago but I think it's a Lowe's house brand fan Allen and Roth so I can always check there for something that will fit.

If it's that conical thing in the middle, a pipe wrench might work on that. Might leave a scuff mark if you don't tape it up.

Are you able to lift up on the globe to take weight off the nut?

If it's that conical thing in the middle, a pipe wrench might work on that. Might leave a scuff mark if you don't tape it up.

Looks to me like he's already tried that and left some marks. I'm stumped. I dunno what I'd do at that point.

Are you able to lift up on the globe to take weight off the nut?

No, I've tried to push it out of the way. I can move it just enough to push in the little plastic straw that comes on a can of wd-40

No, I've tried to push it out of the way. I can move it just enough to push in the little plastic straw that comes on a can of wd-40

I think you’re left with one option. Chainsaw.

metal on metal? PB Nut Buster

or a torch

or a MAUL

Real estate agent.

How about using a heat gun for a few minutes then using the jar opener. Maybe the heat gun will loosen it up some or enough to get it to move.

I was also going to suggest PB blaster.

Easy on the language...you're talking about lubing up your knob.

There are more than a few Brits on here. :D

Rubberbands and a locking wrench. The rubberbands will grip and protect the finish and the wrench will give you some torque.

If I'm not too late and you have to opt for violence then drill a hole big enough for a Phillips screwdriver to insert to use as a handle to turn it with.

Back