Golf and Humble Beginnings

I'm not exactly sure why modest beginnings equates to fighting or why we take pride in beating people from expensive clubs, but I digress...

My earliest golf memories are from my college days. I worked a construction job early in the morning and was going to college at night. I found a golf course between my home and the course. I think it was like $3 or $4 for college students to play a twilight 9 hole round - which fit my budget and schedule perfectly. I don't remember what my clubs were or where I got them, but they surely were acquired on the cheap. Ignorance was bliss re the quality of the course or my clubs ... I just enjoyed the game and my time competing against Mr. Par.

I started playing at 50. Never seen, or been involved in, a fight on the golf course.

ps: too bad about Ponky #1. Great Donald Ross layout. A number of years ago there was talk of having a US Open there.

It was renovated 4-5 years ago, overseen by Brian Silva. Some of the holes were completely regraded. It's in 1000x better shape.

Brilliant. Wasn’t there a second one (or another book written by the same author) ?

Yes. They was a sequel. I don’t remember the name though.

Back