Hybrids-Tried and tested favourite 'old' hybrid?

thecolonel

Reaction score
Handicap
Excluding say the last two seasons of releases, then looking back what's been your 'it's staying in the bag' hybrid?

For me I'm looking at 4 iron replacement (than 2 or 3 because have fairways fur that). Tried a few over the years & I've generally found Cobras to be good but im open to suggestions on other brands/models. I'm 7 handicap and more of a shorter hitter. And yes, the loft number is irrelevant, it's how far YOU hit them(and gapping) that counts!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Wilson Staff D200 hybrids are $$$$. Put your preferred shaft in your preferred weight in one and watch the magic.

Cleveland launcher DST with the diamana shaft.

I have the 18* with a stiff 74g Red shaft. Love it.

If I ever find a 21 or 24 degree with same shaft I am snatching it up.

They are still in the bag. Nickent hybrids were gold medal hot list club test winners year after year.

Adams xd ti

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Wilson Staff D200 hybrids are $$$$. Put your preferred shaft in your preferred weight in one and watch the magic.

Must not have had the right shaft because these hybrids did not perform for me. And their resale value dropped quicker than a 1970 Yugo :).

IMO, for me and my game, the Apex are at the peak and then there is everything else.

This guy right here. In the bag since December 2015 and haven't thought of replacing it once.

49bb7059668e8e5c01fea01b1bc3538e.jpg

Ping i25 for me. A 22 and a 26, both are more forgiving than the iron they replace. I like having a couple of matching hybrids with about 4 degrees of loft difference.

Hard to beat the Apex hybrids.

Hybrids-Tried and tested favourite 'old' hybrid?

Callaway BB Alpha 815. For me - it’s really not close.

I will state I’ve never gotten the opportunity to hit the apex on course. The 815 just flat out performs regardless of situation though.

Tour Edge Trilogy / Xrail
I’ve had them in the bag for about 5-6 seasons now and can’t beat them. I play to around a 9-11 cap and bag the 4h 23* and 5h 26*. I hit them about 180 and 170 respectively. Then carry a 26* 6i that goes about 160.

I’ve gamed the 2 and 3 hybrids as well. Great sticks. Just don’t have room in the bag right now for them.

Must not have had the right shaft because these hybrids did not perform for me. And their resale value dropped quicker than a 1970 Yugo :).

1) the stock shaft in these was complete and utter trash IMO.
2) Re-sale value has nothing to do with performance, but on the plus side you can grab two of these things for the price of a Starbucks latte these days lol.

Callaway BB Alpha 815. For me - it’s really not close.

I will state I’ve never gotten the opportunity to hit the apex on course. The 815 just flat out performs regardless of situation though.

BINGO! Word for word.

Add me to the Apex Hybrid bandwagon. Started with a 3 and 4, eventually swapped out my 5 iron as well.

Callaway X2hot or Cobra Amp Cell hybrids were really good.

This guy right here. In the bag since December 2015 and haven't thought of replacing it once.

49bb7059668e8e5c01fea01b1bc3538e.jpg

^^^ This!!!

Callaway 815 and Apex are solid. If you want to go bargain basement old, the Bridgestone J40s were great hybrids. Still have one in my basement somewhere.

Big fan of the Adams V4 line of hybrids

Mine was a oldie but a goodies. Adams idea black super hybrid. Retired this season that thing provided me so many great shots.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Still carry a Mashie+

Adams XTD Ti usually finds its way into my bag a few times a year

IMO the Cobra Fly-Z is a great low cost option. Adjustable to mold to your gap needs, long, forgiving, weighted to provide nice high green holding shots, and sets up very well behind the ball. I gamed a 2/3 and a 3/4 Fly-Z for about 2.5 years and wish I hadn't impulsively upgraded when I came across nicely a priced Cobra F7 at our annual PGA sale. I assumed I'd get all the performance my Fly-Zs offered plus the rails but for some reason I could never get along as well with the F7. Much less consistent for me.

I've always been fond of Cobra Hybrids. They look awesome at address and they just flat out perform. In my current gamer bag my oldest club is a Cobra Fly-z 4/5 set at 22*. The further down my bag I go the more flex I like in my shafts and the stock S-flex shaft is just fine. It's set at 22*, so basically a 4h. I only hit it about 5-10 yards more than my 4i but it's so much more versatile.

I usually use it when I need to advance the ball from the rough as far as possible. Just last round though I played I hit a beauty for a second into a long par 5 that had to fly water the entire way into the green. I hit a high towering draw that basically made a crater in the soft green 30ft left but pin high. (No I didn't make the eagle putt). With the lower ball flight of my 4i I don't think I'd have cleared the water with it.

Another good one that I picked up a pair recently from a forum member here, Nike Coverts. I picked up a 3 and a 4 with Kuro Kage S flex shafts for a song and half a dance. I like these a lot too and they're gamers in my kids bags. Loft adjustable too so I can dial in any range needed with them with the 3 set lowest to 4 set highest. About 60 yards difference for me.

I know that current tech is supposed to be better but the above 3 Hybrids are dang near perfect. I've got less than 100.00 wrapped up into all of them. Which is freaking fantastic for the performance they give. I don't think hybrid tech has changed enough in the last 5 yearsfor it to make any difference for almost any golfer. Exceptions being a solid plus HC or pro. Maybe they make more of a difference for them, but I'm not good enough to utilize the newer tech as nothing has wowed me to the point of replacing the Cobra. If I was to replace it I'd throw one of the Coverts into the bag.

Still carry a Mashie+

The Mashie thread here at THP was what got me back into golf. So much love for that club, shame it never worked for me.

My excalibur is the Callaway XR Pro. Game it to this day and love it.

Back