New Shaft for Tiger?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Tiger Woods has been testing the Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White Board shaft this week over the Tensei Orange he has been playing so far since his return. Tour Truck mentioned that he has added loft as well for some testing.

Interesting, I remember reading somewhere that Tiger does all his testing and whatnot pre tournaments curious to see if this helps him

As someone who has a basic (at best) grip of shaft properties, but no idea of the specifics of the various offerings out there, are those two shafts offering radically different profiles?

And extra loft is interesting too, especially as one of his most consistent recent performances was primarily hitting low bullet driving irons in the Open (admittedly ground and wind conditions were somewhat of a factor there).

• Admin
As someone who has a basic (at best) grip of shaft properties, but no idea of the specifics of the various offerings out there, are those two shafts offering radically different profiles?

And extra loft is interesting too, especially as one of his most consistent recent performances was primarily hitting low bullet driving irons in the Open (admittedly ground and wind conditions were somewhat of a factor there).

Yes they are quite different. The Tensei Orange is a counter balanced design and the Diamana is not. Both are designed for low launch and low spin, but get there and feel very differently.

Not sure why he hasnt gone to the T1100 or even Fuji Pro. Doesnt get much more low spin than that. The interesting thing with his tee game struggles are the misses are consistently to the right. He needs the Tadashi coaching. Aim left and swing hard

more shaft tinkering, maybe he'll unearth another THDPE in a few months

Yes they are quite different. The Tensei Orange is a counter balanced design and the Diamana is not. Both are designed for low launch and low spin, but get there and feel very differently.

I would guess with the white he would have much more feeling about where the club head is when he is swinging and probably have more of an iron feel to his driver which may help him reduce his misses. It's interesting to me that he is missing left and right with his driver. I am not a fan of the Twist Face Technology on Taylor Made's products for players like Tiger. I think for a golfer trying to work the ball (not someone who swings the same and wants it to go strait) you could get some unexpected results because of the odd curve of the face. They would probably never let him do it because of the $'s they are paying him, but an M1 might be a better club for him. Maybe they could paint an M3 logo on an M1 lol!

When it comes to the driver I would recommend an exorcism for the driver head. It's amazing how someone that strikes the ball so well in every other facet of the game struggles with the driver.

He played the White board years and years ago did he not?

When it comes to the driver I would recommend an exorcism for the driver head. It's amazing how someone that strikes the ball so well in every other facet of the game struggles with the driver.

Maybe the twist face isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Maybe the twist face isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I don't know if that's the issue, Tiger has never been great with driver in hand. Other TM staffers seem to do alright with it which brings me back to it being a Tiger swing issue.

Its about time he tried something different. The driver has been his weakest link for sure. Looking forward to seeing if it works out.

I don't know if it will help or not but according to everything I read, he loves to tinker!!! I hope it works!

Has he always been partial to Mitsubishi shafts through his career or is this just a new thing since the switch to TM?

Has he always been partial to Mitsubishi shafts through his career or is this just a new thing since the switch to TM?

Thought he had them in his Nike stuff quite often.

When Tiger went to graphite, approximately 2004, his driver tempo-rhythm suffered. As the years went on it got worse.
I wonder how his performance might be if he went back to his 43.5" steel shafted 975D driver.
Or, maybe a modern driver head with a less stout shaft than what he's been swinging.
I do believe the stoutness of his driver shaft (s) is causing the driver swing tempo-rhythm issues.

Not sure why he hasnt gone to the T1100 or even Fuji Pro. Doesnt get much more low spin than that. The interesting thing with his tee game struggles are the misses are consistently to the right. He needs the Tadashi coaching. Aim left and swing hard

i would think tiger is trying to eliminate the left side of the course, particularly off the tee. but i agree with you, he needs to be able to turn the ball over more consistently.

I have a hard time believing Tiger's problems are the shaft. This particular Indian has gone through a whole lot of arrows and the results have been about the same.

Tiger Woods has been testing the Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White Board shaft this week over the Tensei Orange he has been playing so far since his return. Tour Truck mentioned that he has added loft as well for some testing.

Going back to what he knows.

The tensei orange is an absolute beast from how it reads. That said, I don't know that these driving woes are anything more than Tiger's mental game. The way he hits driver and 3w on the range, I really don't think it's a shaft thing.

I have a hard time believing Tiger's problems are the shaft. This particular Indian has gone through a whole lot of arrows and the results have been about the same.

It doesn't seem like it could hurt to try new arrows at this point.

Heard this morning he is going back to the shaft he used at the beginning of the season in both driver and 3wood to improve his accuracy so I would say no to it being a new shaft, just different from what he has been using lately

With Tiger’s legendary status and his will and ability to be in the mix again on Sunday, do you think he is testing all models and companies of drivers/shafts combos and would pick what’s right for him no matter who the brand belongs to? I would think that endorsement money would not be ignored but with the desire/potential ability to win again, would money consideration go out the window in order to make his driver a weapon instead of a question mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard this morning he is going back to the shaft he used at the beginning of the season in both driver and 3wood to improve his accuracy so I would say no to it being a new shaft, just different from what he has been using lately

Wasn't he using a Tensei White and then Matrix TPHD on the West Coast this year?
Either way, him going to a Whiteboard is not something completely new for him.

With Tiger’s legendary status and his will and ability to be in the mix again on Sunday, do you think he is testing all models and companies of drivers/shafts combos and would pick what’s right for him no matter who the brand belongs to? I would think that endorsement money would not be ignored but with the desire/potential ability to win again, would money consideration go out the window in order to make his driver a weapon instead of a question mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a whole lot of shaft endorsement money out there compared to the actual clubheads, etc.

Back