Hiding from the heat?

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
Anybody else hiding from the heat? I was playing twice a week and going to the driving range at least once a week earlier this year. I was preparing for the Ben Hogan Iron experience in early June. That hard work and dedication payed off in spades for my game but after the event with the oppressive Houston heat I just cannot get motivated to play.

I have tried practicing and playing a round in the cooler morning but the crazy high humidity makes it as bad or worse than the afternoon heat. I will be completely soaked with sweat after less than an hour and a three glove rotation is not sufficient to keep things dry. I feel a bit guilty that I worked so hard earlier this year and now I only hit a few shots per day into my practice net. I cant help but think I will have to relearn some things after this break.

The good news is that the weather should be cool enough to play afternoon golf in a few weeks. I also have Mondays off until March so I have a lot of golf in my near future. I still am thinking about golf and my swing constantly so I am going to redouble my efforts when the weather cools of a little bit. I can play golf in the low nineties especially if its a dry heat, this near 100 degree heat and high humidity is just too much.

I'm just used to sweatin through it. It's miserable and gross, but it beats not playin at all

I never play as much in the afternoon's when I'm at my place in Florida.

Love the heat. As long as I heep hydrated, it does not bother me at all. Would actually rather play in 95 degree high humidity weather than sub 70 weather. Additional layers or long sleeves seem to hurt my swing more than being soaked with sweat.

I definitely will avoid the worst days. Mid to upper 90s with high humidity is miserable around here. Those thick days seem to also offer next to no breeze at all. Even then, it's just gross air hitting you.

I've tried a cooling towel and also a rechargeable Opolar fan for the cart. Helps, but only fractionally.

It's not healthy for me as I overheat easily to begin with. Just last night, not golf related, but at 7 PM with the sun already ducking behind the distant trees, I broke out the chainsaw to drop and clear five small trees. It was still (only) 85° but humid. Maddening, because just a few hours earlier there was a pretty nice, strangely refreshing breeze.

I was working fast as the day's light was fading but the level of my sweating was simply dangerous. Soaked head to toe, I guzzled 2 bottles of water while working, another when done, another after a shower.

Some days, it's just not worth the stress on the body to hit the course.

As uncomfortable as it is I embrace the heat. Living where I do we only get so many months to play and the heat doesn't bother me too much, even when it's so humid my glasses fog up standing over the ball. I'll take that kind of heat and humidity over the cold every day.

I will try to beat it as much as possible by playing early, but on the flip side of that, the course is pretty much empty when it gets super hot and we can get around pretty quickly. Lots of water to stay hydrated.

I'm kijd of a die hard so I just play when I can despite the sauna-like weather in the summer.

I stubbornly stick to playing in any and all conditions--except lightning.

My major hobby prior to golf was offshore fishing.

I got as used to the heat as anyone can ever be.

Unfortunately, the hottest months bring the most stable sea conditions in the Gulf.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I will be headed out today around 5:00, when it will probably still be over 100. But I'll be riding in a cart, hoping to zip through 9 (or even 18) on an empty course. I tried this on Monday, but the course wasn't empty. Damn college kids are back in town but not busy with classes yet.

That said, I definitely feel the impact on my weekend morning rounds, where I walk. I have to focus extra hard on eating, drinking and wet towels to keep from falling apart on the back nine. Sometimes I fall apart anyway.

The plus side of summer, which I will miss, is the extra playing time from the early sunrise and late sunset.

I prefer the heat. Keeps many people off the course, so I can go out, pop up the music, play at my own pace. Plus, when I travel, I find courses give heavy discounts for playing at noon or 1 o clock, so I do my work in the morning, go play a much nicer course than I normally would for not a lot of money in the afternoon, can often play in 3 or 3-1/2 hours and feel like I had a nice relaxed round, go home, shower, work and am ready to hang with the wife and family. Win-win!

I feel like in Oklahoma we have been extremely fortunate this summer, so i've been out embracing the heat. It's all relative because we are having daytime highs in the mid 90s right now as opposed to the usual 100+ but the humidity is still extremely gross. Need to get in the habit of making the shirt swap on the turn.

We've benefited greatly from one of the wettest summers I can remember, so trying to get out and play while everything's up and green has been great. But I do try to go out and play early if the highs are going to get up around 100

The next big golf invention should be carts with air conditioning, it's been brutal out there.

But I agree that sweaty hallucinating can barely walk golf is better than no golf.

I will play if the temperature is between 33 and 100, I stop walking at 90 though.

It's been a really hot and humid summer here (no news there). Most days going outside is like stepping into a steam bath. I had to cut out the afternoon clinic and afternoon rounds. Now we play early morning or get 9 holes in starting at 5. Two of the major clinics have moved to 5pm and the one on the near ocean course gets a good afternoon breeze. I carry my Hyrdo Flask filled with ice and 2 bottles of water when I go out. I've gone through 2 bottles of sunscreen already.

For some of us there will come a time in the very near wintery future when we'll be crying like babies for golf, even sweaty pig golf like this, so suck it up with a smile I say.

I can't say that it's reduced my playing but walking in 85 and up with the dew point of 65 and up with no wind is not comfortable. Makes me think of renting a cart.

I don’t hide from the heat typically. Only thing I don’t really like is wearing a glove and since I’ve moved onto clubs without my Best Grips, I have to wear one. Unfortunately with the humidity I have to rotate through two gloves in a round. The clubs I have now are the utx and I was hoping for better tack/grip with them being somewhat cord but alas they are very slippery once my hand gets a little damp.

Oh well. It’s a small price to pay in order to play at the cheapest time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High heat and humidity for the past few weeks here. I'm grateful that we tee off at 7:00, and the course keeps water stations filled with cool water. I use one of those "water" towel chamois thingees that keeps cool, and it works pretty good. Most days we're off the course by 10:30 and back home in air conditioned comfort. I feel sorry for those who have to suffer through the heat.

The only thing that really keeps me off the course is either rain or sub 40 temps. As for heat I just drink lots of water and stay hydrated. I don’t like the heat but living in Dallas it is what it is.

If I had to avoid heat in Arizona, guess I wouldn’t be golfing much at all right now!! lol

Honestly, summer is the best time to golf out here - rates are much, MUCH lower than snowbird rates, and courses are usually not crowded at all. As long as you stay hydrated and wear good sunscreen, summer golf is rather nice in AZ.

I love the heat when it is over 100 the course is empty

I love playing in the heat, put on some sunscreen and a hat and I am golden

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

I’ve been on the shelf this summer getting over an injury, but in the past I’ve typically played in the summers only if I can be off the tee in the first few groups; would never tee off after 8:00 or so. Being the summer makes it more tolerable to not be able to play. I’m moving to the Oregon coast soon, so it won’t be a problem for me any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The next big golf invention should be carts with air conditioning, it's been brutal out there.

too late they already exist. Aridzona has them (not a typo, I think it is funny to say that. My Arizona family may not concur)

Back