UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

first round in the books with recoil 110's. really like the feel and trajectory, not really longer or higher than the tour v's I had but my body certainly feels less tired. could be a coincidence so more golf needed to make sure :angel:

I really did not think I would find a shaft I liked better than the i95 reg. Steelfiber, but the 110 recoil in stiff is just better all the way around for my game.

I still really really want to try out the 110 F4 shafts. Only recoils they had at golf smith to try last night were those 760 ES in F2. not exactly what I'm looking for.

I still really really want to try out the 110 F4 shafts. Only recoils they had at golf smith to try last night were those 760 ES in F2. not exactly what I'm looking for.

I wanted to get them in my apex cf 16 but the cost held me back. I may end up getting some later on. I will have them at some point in irons

I wanted to get them in my apex cf 16 but the cost held me back. I may end up getting some later on. I will have them at some point in irons

Really? I'm showing them as a $0 upgrade on those on Cally's website. Unless it's adding it wrong.

Really? I'm showing them as a $0 upgrade on those on Cally's website. Unless it's adding it wrong.
I think the stock recoils are the 760's so the 110's would be an upgrade cost I believe. I am probably mis-informed though.

Zero upgrade if you choose graphite. But it's a couple hundred more than steel shafts

Ah yea. That's true, wasn't thinking about that for some reason.

Can not make up my mind which way to go on these. 110? F4? F5? Prototype? Non prototype?

Wish more oems had these in carts to try. All in due time I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can not make up my mind which way to go on these. 110? F4? F5? Prototype? Non prototype?

My average 7 iron SS is 81mph with a late release. I have a set of Diablo Forged irons with Recoil 110 F4 Prototypes soft stepped once. I purchased an Apex CF16 7 iron and reshafted it with a standard Recoil 110 F4 straight in. The soft stepped Proto still feels a bit stiffer and launches lower than the standard 110. Since I already have so much invested in the Proto shafts, I am going to try soft stepping them twice in a set of CF16 heads. If I were purchasing new, I would get the standard 110 shafts, straight in.

I had the 110 F5 in my Apex for two years and loved them. My 6i SS was 91-92mph and they felt perfect. I have the 125 Proto F4 in my wedges and they feel a touch softer than the 110F5, but I rarely hit full shots with my wedges so they have worked out really well. If I was spending the money again, I would go the standard route, I didn't notice a big enough difference in the Proto to warrant 2x the price. Slightly more stout and slightly tighter, but again not enough to get me to spend $100 per shaft...... Again.

I had the 110 F5 in my Apex for two years and loved them. My 6i SS was 91-92mph and they felt perfect. I have the 125 Proto F4 in my wedges and they feel a touch softer than the 110F5, but I rarely hit full shots with my wedges so they have worked out really well. If I was spending the money again, I would go the standard route, I didn't notice a big enough difference in the Proto to warrant 2x the price. Slightly more stout and slightly tighter, but again not enough to get me to spend $100 per shaft...... Again.

Awesome info. Thanks. Your 6i SS is right on par with mine. I was worried about going F5 and loosing "feel"

Awesome info. Thanks. Your 6i SS is right on par with mine. I was worried about going F5 and loosing "feel"

Oh, one of the best feeling shafts I have ever used. I have been playing graphite, and trying all I can get my hands on, for over 5yrs now and Recoil is #2 on my list of all time favorites. Even in the F5 flex you can still feel the shaft load and the ball impact. Very responsive and on mishits you don't get that nasty vibration up through the hands.

The only set I liked better was the Fujikura Rombax 115i, but they are very tough to find now.

Will have a UST Recoil 450 F2-A shaft installed in a Srixon Z-Star 7 iron head tomorrow. Looking forward to playing it and seeing if that's the shaft to replace the N.S. Pro 1050 GH Reg shafts in the rest of the Z-Stars.

Went to Golf Galaxy today, Dec 10th, and picked up the Srixon Z-Star 7 iron head and I had a UST Recoil 450 FS-2 graphite shaft installed in. Took my current TM Burner 2.0 with a steel 85 Reg shaft 7 iron and the new shafted Z-Star 7 iron to the indoor range. Hitting the UST Recoil shafted Z-Star 7 iron 8-10 yds. further with a tighter ball flight pattern and the feel of the shaft during the swing is nice, and smooth. Will play the new Z-Star 7 iron next round and will decide if I'm gonna add the UST Recoil 450 FS-2 graphite shafts to the remaining Z-Star heads.

Last edited:
Got fit into the Recoil Prototype 95 F4 shafts in a Mizuno JPX 850 Forged head this weekend, and man do those things feel amazing and give just an outstanding flight. Picked up 3 yards across the board with them. I'm looking for a set elsewhere from this particular builder due to cost, but I notice in here that there is a Prototype version and a regular version...and it sounds like the regular version is cheaper. What exactly is the purported difference between the 2? It seems to me that the only difference is torque, in looking at the spec sheet. Do folks feel the difference?

I want to give a shout out to Danny Le Of UST. I know a few THP'ers have had the pleasure of meeting him and some enjoying a round of golf with him.

But it I had reached out to UST via its web chat area. Danny emailed back with the answer which led to a nice back and forth conversation about some of their shafts.

I mentioned I was a member of THP and he loved it. He said the 1-1 time that the lucky THP'ers get to experience is going to be very fun.

I told him I certainly hope to be one of them.

Just a a super nice guy who explains things very clearly.

Got fit into the Recoil Prototype 95 F4 shafts in a Mizuno JPX 850 Forged head this weekend, and man do those things feel amazing and give just an outstanding flight. Picked up 3 yards across the board with them. I'm looking for a set elsewhere from this particular builder due to cost, but I notice in here that there is a Prototype version and a regular version...and it sounds like the regular version is cheaper. What exactly is the purported difference between the 2? It seems to me that the only difference is torque, in looking at the spec sheet. Do folks feel the difference?

Bumping this, if anyone has some guidance on the regular Recoil vs Protos. Doing a little looking myself, and the cheapest set of Prototypes I can find is still over $600...no thanks. Maybe the price Modern quoted me wasn't so outlandish after all :bulgy-eyes:

Bumping this, if anyone has some guidance on the regular Recoil vs Protos. Doing a little looking myself, and the cheapest set of Prototypes I can find is still over $600...no thanks. Maybe the price Modern quoted me wasn't so outlandish after all :bulgy-eyes:
Been looking at the 95s also, and the online fitting tool suggested the Proto. No personal experience, but from what few comments I have found the Protos may launch slightly lower, but most would not notice an appreciable difference. So, probably worth just getting the regular 95s. If necessary you might be able to step them or go a little stiffer and make up the difference in launch if you think you need it. I plan to just go the standard route.

Ryan I have not hit the Proto's but I have the regular 95 and 110. I love them both (f4 in both). The 110's perform better for me. I think one reason is I have played 110 gram iron shafts for a while so they just feel better in my swing.
Neither of them "balooned" or "hung in the air" like you hear a lot of people say.
Between the feel and the ball flight I will be a recoil fan for a long time to come.

I think you would love the F4 110 (non proto)

Ryan I have not hit the Proto's but I have the regular 95 and 110. I love them both (f4 in both). The 110's perform better for me. I think one reason is I have played 110 gram iron shafts for a while so they just feel better in my swing.
Neither of them "balooned" or "hung in the air" like you hear a lot of people say.
Between the feel and the ball flight I will be a recoil fan for a long time to come.

I think you would love the F4 110 (non proto)

I have been playing them for about a year now (non-proto 95 in iron set and 110 in wedges) and cannot remember ever seeing any ballooning issues.

I have been playing them for about a year now (non-proto 95 in iron set and 110 in wedges) and cannot remember ever seeing any ballooning issues.

Do you hit them (recoils) a little higher than steel shafted irons?

I do not, ball flight is same on my old apex with with KBS tour V 110 and new apex with with F4 110 recoil

I have not noticed a higher ball flight. I would say they are comparable to my last 2 steel shafts (Nippon 950 and TT GS95).

For me, the performance of the recoil 110 and KBS tour V are about the same.
I just love the recoils as they are easier on my left arm. Its nice not to have to use ice after a round :)

I have not noticed a higher ball flight. I would say they are comparable to my last 2 steel shafts (Nippon 950 and TT GS95).

Good to know. I have hit recoils in a stronger flex and they seemed fine but it was on a sim and I prefer seeing the ball flight outside and from the grass.

Back