Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Watched RFC Talking about bounce and grind and I'm pulling the trigger. I asked my fitter to order me the 58 with the W( I already had the 54 that I pre-ordered with a S grind). I'm one of those that just never knew any better so I practiced with nothing but my 58 around the greens so versatile wedges that let me execute different shots are my fav lol. Everyone be cool though, I am trying to take baby steps and use a 50 or 54 :). For some reason with those clubs I chunk that leading edge into the ground but I know what PhillyV learned from RFC and that edge :).

thanks again guys for sharing this along with everything else!

Haha that leading edge is the devil

Played 18 today and these wedges were the star behind my Works VLine putter. Had 2 sand shots with the 58W, both on green, both had juice and one was shortsided and held to about 10 feet of the pin! The 54s was a star from the fairway holding greens with great check with half, three quarter and full swings! Once I dial these things I don't think I'll ever look back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really want a 46* wedge to replace my PW but I have never not used the pw that has gone with my set of irons. Does anyone have any experience with the md3 46*?

For me it was all about what type of shot i would hit most of the time with that particular wedge. For my 56* I use it for all sorts of shots all around the green and from inside 100 yards. So I went with the S grind which is the most versatile. With my 60* I mainly use that out of the sand or if I need to hit a flop shot around the green. In that case the wide sole is perfect for that so I went with the W grind there

Same for me. I went 54/58 with the same grind.

The best Callaway wedges put out in a while & the first that I can play consistently. These flat out perform as advertised.

Thanks Phil & Mike. Makes sense. Any discussion of gapping issues? I've always heard 4 degrees between clubs, but was thinking maybe 50 S, 56 S & 60 W

I went 54w (which I was already gaming and loved) and 60w.

Adore the 60w, plenty versatile for me and the bounce is my friend. Actually chipped/pitched in 3 times with it in Cali.

Same question for you Jman: Any discussion of gapping issues? I've always heard 4 degrees between clubs, but you have 6*

Thanks Phil & Mike. Makes sense. Any discussion of gapping issues? I've always heard 4 degrees between clubs, but was thinking maybe 50 S, 56 S & 60 W

It depends. I rarely hit full shots with my wedges which is why I went with a set gap wedge.

Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

Same question for you Jman: Any discussion of gapping issues? I've always heard 4 degrees between clubs, but you have 6*

I did exactly this because PW was 45* and I wanted a better gap than skipping to 52* and badly wanted to bag a PM grind. I haven't figured out my exact gaps yet but didn't seem to run into any issues during the rounds at the hideaway. More to come but I take full shots with every club including 60*

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Same for me. I went 54/58 with the same grind.

The best Callaway wedges put out in a while & the first that I can play consistently. These flat out perform as advertised.

For me it was all about what type of shot i would hit most of the time with that particular wedge. For my 56* I use it for all sorts of shots all around the green and from inside 100 yards. So I went with the S grind which is the most versatile. With my 60* I mainly use that out of the sand or if I need to hit a flop shot around the green. In that case the wide sole is perfect for that so I went with the W grind there

I did exactly this because PW was 45* and I wanted a better gap than skipping to 52* and badly wanted to bag a PM grind. I haven't figured out my exact gaps yet but didn't seem to run into any issues during the rounds at the hideaway. More to come but I take full shots with every club including 60*

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking maybe 50*, then 55* (bend the 56 1 degree down) & 60*. If I can do this, then i can carry another hybrid/wood for the gaps at the other end of my bag.

Thanks for the feedback. Lots to consider with wedges these days but really want a set of these. I haven't heard one bad word about them so far

There is no hard and fast rule for gapping, the physical loft difference numbers don't matter if the on course gaps work.

No hard rule for gapping. It's all player dependent and how you like to play your wedges and distances.

For me I go 50, 52, 54, 58

Some see overlap, but the way I play my wedges they fit my gaps/needs perfectly.

No hard rule for gapping. It's all player dependent and how you like to play your wedges and distances.

For me I go 50, 52, 54, 58

Some see overlap, but the way I play my wedges they fit my gaps/needs perfectly.
So true mike it depends how a person plays wedges.
I ordered 50 and 54 and then have my 60 PM.
I can't wait for my MD3's to get here

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

4-6* is what most recommend with the ideal yardage gap being 12-16 yards. The types of shot and swings people use their wedges for will also come into play. Many do to take full swings with 58/60* wedges so gapping doesn't really become an issue at that part of the bag

i utilize all my wedges for full swings and less than full swings. with a full swing, the 50 goes about 125 for me, the 56 about 115, and the 60 about 100. it's a perfect gapping. in fact, i think i can drop my weak pw and maybe add another hybo.

Still loving the 54W MD3. Works really for me on full wedge swings as well as anywhere else I've needed to use it. Been pulling this over the PM Grind around the green for a lot of shots. Bounce must be my friend because I hit this so much better than the standard 54˚ I bagged previously on partial shots. Still not ready to kick the PM grind out, but I think I could get by just fine with a matching 58/60.

Still loving the 54W MD3. Works really for me on full wedge swings as well as anywhere else I've needed to use it. Been pulling this over the PM Grind around the green for a lot of shots. Bounce must be my friend because I hit this so much better than the standard 54˚ I bagged previously on partial shots. Still not ready to kick the PM grind out, but I think I could get by just fine with a matching 58/60.

There is no hard and fast rule for gapping, the physical loft difference numbers don't matter if the on course gaps work.

Did you guys try the S-grind in the 54* wedge? What factors made you keep the W-grind? Does type of turf make a difference?

Did you guys try the S-grind in the 54* wedge? What factors made you keep the W-grind? Does type of turf make a difference?

Again it's gonna depend on what you'll use the wedge for. If it's a mixture of chips and pitch shots and full shots, C grind is the route you want to go. But if it's mostly chips and lobs, W is your go to

Thanks Phil. Dang it! I want to get one of each & try them all out for a while... Decisions, decisions.

Might be skimming, but how is the black finish holding up? Seems like most in Granddaddy went satin finish?

+1 to what PhillyV said, I went with 54S because I hit way more shots from half to full with it and then went 58W for sand and special situations around the green. Based on my lie I'll use almost anything in my bag for chipping so those two wedges really fall into line for what I want out of them.

Might be skimming, but how is the black finish holding up? Seems like most in Granddaddy went satin finish?

The black finish is fantastic. The wedge I have from September shows very little wear

Mine is holding up great from October time. Little wear and looks basically new after about a dozen rounds.

I am seriously pondering a set of these.... It's either these or the new SM6 this spring!

I am seriously pondering a set of these.... It's either these or the new SM6 this spring!

The SM6 better bring it if they want to compete. Callaway stepped up big time with these, and if the SM6 are just ultimately re-stamped SM5's, then they are going to be behind.

Again it's gonna depend on what you'll use the wedge for. If it's a mixture of chips and pitch shots and full shots, C grind is the route you want to go. But if it's mostly chips and lobs, W is your go to

This pretty much. I dial my swing back a bit once I get past PW, and I've found this club to be comparable on what I'll call full wedge swings to my previous 54˚ which had a standard grind. Where it really shines though are on the pitches and half shots from the rough and the fairway. Haven't gotten in the bunker far enough away to play this one there yet. I usually grab my PM grind by default after the success I've had with it.

Quoted the wrong post, but the black finish is awesome on this. I expected it to be at least a little worn (which doesn't bother me at all) but every time I think I see a scratch or some wear, I wipe it off and it's pretty much gone.

I took these out to the back yard and hit some chips today. They feel so much better to me than my old wedges (Callaway Forged). Can not wait to get them back out on the course.

Back