Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

Been using the the AW for a few rounds now. Have picked up a few yards over my Apex AW and I really like the way this club looks and performs. I will probably grab a set off CPO this winter when they are deeply discounted and see if I can get a little more forgiveness over the Apex. No way the Apex go anywhere until the XR's are put through their paces considering I am basing it off one club (and a wedge for that matter). My iron game has been my weakness this year without a doubt and the extra forgiveness these provide could be just the answer to my woes.

So I finished e-reading my way through this thread, and then grabbed an XR Pro AW with Recoil 460 shaft off ebay for $35. Right now I can't really see much difference in my PW & GW in the Wilson Staff Di11's. I'm hoping that the XR Pro will be more consistent & give a tighter dispersion. It's worth the try for that price I figure.

Well I just pulled the trigger on a set from CPO. 4-PW with the stock KBS tour shaft. I'm coming off the Xhot Pros and although they are the same loft as the XR pros the new ones should be a little hotter. Only did today for the 15% off which made this set within $10 of my Xhot pros 3 years ago.

Not going to use for at least a couple of weeks as still teaching snowboarding but will post back when I get them.

Also its sad but I had to ship them to my neighbor's house so the wife would not see a callaway box at the front door. He plays as well.

I still think this is one of the best sets of 2015. The distances achieved are so solid, and the cup face makes consistency on those numbers even better.

Any time I'm not in love with my ball striking I'll move these into the bag for a couple rounds and it puts my 'numbers' on cruise control. Especially during the colder months when 'missing' sucks even more.

I'm getting really comfortable with the C-taper lites in the XR Pros, and my scores are starting to show. The AW is becoming my favorite club to hit. I'm still pushing the 4 and 5 irons, but I think it has to do with ball placement. I moved the ball back a couple of inches on Aw through 7 iron and am seeing good results. The 5&6 I haven't hit enough to get zeroed in yet.
The new Chrome Soft feels like butter when hit center faced. Which I have been working on. I moved closer to the ball in my stance, and the ball back a couple of inches. It sure is nice to hit crisp shots. And lower scores.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I absolutely love my XR Pros. I've had them for 4 months now and have played probably 15 rounds with them. The more I hit em the more I like em.

It took a few rounds to get used to the distance difference. They're a good 10+ yds longer than my old irons.

Hello everyone.

New member here and long time lurker. I currently own a set of JPX 825's and am looking for an iron that will give me a bit more flexibility in moving the ball. I was recently at the PGA Superstore and talked with the Head Fitter and discussed that I was looking for an iron that had a great balance of forgiveness and flexibility. He immediately pointed me toward the XR Pros. He does know that I am open to hitting any irons there and finding the right fit, but he did say this was a great iron and that a lot of the guys at the store love them. I plan on going in a week or two and hitting some different irons and seeing what is right for me. Although after reading 81 pages on this iron, I think I love this club already.

With that said, and IF I do choose this iron, I am curious about what to keep in my bag. I currently have Driver, 3Wood, 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid, 6-PW, then Vokey 54 and 60.

I am thinking about building a new set of clubs with possibly the same setup. Maybe buying a new 3 and 5 Hybrid (XR) to match the irons...but with the added distance of the XR Pros, I don't know what to select. I love my 3 and 5 Hybrids...but they are 7 year old Cobra Bafflers. I know it is time to upgrade. What I don't want to happen is to have a XR Pro 6 iron that goes the same distance as a 5 Hybrid.

This is all dependent on if I like the irons when I hit them, but I want to be prepared if I do move forward. I am anxious to hear your feedback. Thanks!
Troy

The only way to find that is to test them out. Although when I tested the XR Pro, it did not fly further than my 5 hybrid.

The only way to find that is to test them out. Although when I tested the XR Pro, it did not fly further than my 5 hybrid.

Which club did not fly further than your 5 hybrid? The 6 iron?

Which club did not fly further than your 5 hybrid? The 6 iron?

Correct. In fact my 5 hybrid slotted well with it. At the time it was the XR.

I bought a set of these a while back and just now played my first round with them, they're not a set I plan on gaming all the time, but I was really surprised by these. I hadn't gotten very many swings in a store with these when I came across a really good deal for a set of them so I wasn't sure if my swing was just really good that day or what. These are very forgiving for a player's profile iron, much more so than the J40's I had last year. They're really long for their profile too and the cup face tech is for real. I don't think I'd have any problem gaming these full time once it get the winter rust knocked off a bit.

I bought a set of these a while back and just now played my first round with them, they're not a set I plan on gaming all the time, but I was really surprised by these. I hadn't gotten very many swings in a store with these when I came across a really good deal for a set of them so I wasn't sure if my swing was just really good that day or what. These are very forgiving for a player's profile iron, much more so than the J40's I had last year. They're really long for their profile too and the cup face tech is for real. I don't think I'd have any problem gaming these full time once it get the winter rust knocked off a bit.
Nice! They're really fun irons, I played some really good golf with them and they bailed me out a lot. I just wish they'd gone a different route on the finish, literally the only thing about them I can even quasi gripe about. So much performance in ab awesome package.

I'm still loving my XR Pro's after a year. I hit a badly missed 4 iron into the wind the other day on a 204 yard par 3 over water and the ball still went it's normal 205 yard distance. The guys I was playing with both were shocked that it cleared the water(190 carry) as it sounded so bad(thin heel miss). My old irons would have left me in a bunker or the water with that same miss instead of pin high on the left fringe. I plan on keeping these in my bag for another 5+ years.

Nice! They're really fun irons, I played some really good golf with them and they bailed me out a lot. I just wish they'd gone a different route on the finish, literally the only thing about them I can even quasi gripe about. So much performance in ab awesome package.
Finish is the one and only complaint I have with my pro's as well. Wear on my irons doesn't bother me at all compared to driver and putter.

I talked my dad into playing these irons this year. Gaming them with Recoil 125s which might not be the perfect combo, but he loves the profile and has already had some really nice success with them.

Excited that he'll be gaming cup face. It's just too good and probably exactly what he needs.

I'm 62, and I couldn't be happier with these clubs. I have C Taper Lites in mine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Picked up a set of these today with XP 105 S300 shafts. Really liking them. I have hit everything else this year and these still came out on top for me. I was a little torn between the regular XR'S and these because I hit them farther, but also left a lot. I went with the fitters recommendation and chose xrp's because they were more consistent, straighter, and more consistent distance front to back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Really impressed with the 4i in this set! Initially, having never hit an xrp 4i, I was expecting to replace it with a hybrid, but now I have to rethink that because it was surprisingly easy to hit. Easy to elevate and hit straight.

For those still gaming these, what is your opinion of the A wedge?
I only got 4-P and am wondering if I should get the set A wedge, or go with a different in 49-50 degrees.

For those still gaming these, what is your opinion of the A wedge?
I only got 4-P and am wondering if I should get the set A wedge, or go with a different in 49-50 degrees.

I love my A wedge for 100 yard shots and around the green. For some reason I seem have a about a 20 yard gap between it and my PW though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm still loving my XR Pro's after a year. I hit a badly missed 4 iron into the wind the other day on a 204 yard par 3 over water and the ball still went it's normal 205 yard distance. The guys I was playing with both were shocked that it cleared the water(190 carry) as it sounded so bad(thin heel miss). My old irons would have left me in a bunker or the water with that same miss instead of pin high on the left fringe. I plan on keeping these in my bag for another 5+ years.

I echo this pretty much entirely. It's been just about a year since I got these and I love them. And what tahoebum said about the forgiveness and sound is spot on in my experience. Mishits sometimes sound like you hit a rock, but I almost never see much significant distance loss. The cup face technology is definitely for real in the distance department too if that's what you are looking for--these irons give me tremendous distance compared to others I've hit. I can't see any reason that I would swap these out any time soon.

Hit some more on the sim, and am even more enamored with the 4i. I haven't had a 4i like this much since my DI-11's, and the results are very similar (about 200-210 on reasonably good swing(extrapolated numbers for now because I have learned to knock off 20 yds on this particular sim)). Another thing I like about them is that the mid irons aren't 'too hot' as compared to the rest of the set. I've tried more than a few sets where the 6,7,8 went too far in comparison to the rest.

I'm thinking that the "Pro" moniker may be misleading on these irons though, they are way too easy to hit for me to consider them as a players iron. They do, however, seem to fill a slot between GI and players irons, and can keep up with most distance oriented irons to boot. So far they seem to be ideal for me. And they're not even fit to my specs yet. I'm going to bring them in tomorrow to get adjusted. I can only imagine how good they're going to be then!

They're definitely more forgiving than most player's clubs. I've had mine for almost 6 months, but I still get the occasional miss long. It's hard to believe sometimes that I can hit them as far as I do and overshoot the green. lol

As far as the A wedge goes, I didn't get one. I prefer my Vokey 52*.

They're definitely more forgiving than most player's clubs. I've had mine for almost 6 months, but I still get the occasional miss long. It's hard to believe sometimes that I can hit them as far as I do and overshoot the green. lol

As far as the A wedge goes, I didn't get one. I prefer my Vokey 52*.

I'm thinking there might be a considerable gap between my 54 Vokey and the set PW, around 30 yds. I'm going to have to see if a 50* traditional wedge can fit in there well. 50* club has always been my ~120 yd club and the XRP PW goes ~140. I suppose I'll have to try the A wedge to see if fits better.

I'm thinking there might be a considerable gap between my 54 Vokey and the set PW, around 30 yds. I'm going to have to see if a 50* traditional wedge can fit in there well. 50* club has always been my ~120 yd club and the XRP PW goes ~140. I suppose I'll have to try the A wedge to see if fits better.

The set AW is pretty awesome. You'd be amazed at how well it fits into it.

Back