Blades Vs Cavity Back

Even pros play cavity backs and GI irons, and they can work the clubs. I've seen male teaching pros play SGIs. So what's the big deal about playing blades? If you want your best shot you still have to have a repeatable swing.

Lexi Thompson still uses her Cobra S2 Forged cavity backs from 2009. I'm sure she could play blades if she wanted but she just doesn't want to.

Impeccable ball striking is completely subjective in my opinion. If someone feels they are striking it impeccably because they only mishit 1 out of 10, then that's how they feel. Just as if someone feels they are striking it impeccably because they only mishit 4 out of 10, then that's how they feel. Obviously the true definition of impeccable ball striking would mean that they'd never mishit a shot, but that's just not a realistic expectation. People have different views on what's impeccable to them. You can't always go by the literal definition when someone describes something because it's always going to be opinion based.

It's just like two people talking about what's beautiful. There is no right answer as people will always view things differently.

I guess my hang up is on the word choice of "impeccable". If you were to say "I strike my irons very well for a 20 HC" I'd fully understand that. When I was a 13 HC, my short game was very good for my general HC. But nowhere close to impeccable.

When you say "I strike these irons impeccably" that only means one thing to me. There are only one or two people I've ever personally been around that isn't on the PGA tour that I could see having that claim, and both are very low HC's.

so I get and agree with what you're saying, I just don't think the term "impeccable" is one of the descriptive words that is up for interpretation.

This thread is confusing

Very, but there are solid points from both sides. It's an entertaining read where no one really got out of hand. It's what I love about this place. Open honest discussion with everyone's opinion counting.

Don't know...ask them, perhaps they are getting paid BooKoo to play what they play

Sorry, just looking for some clarity. Just confused as you've mentioned good ball strikers can see the benefits of blades.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you truly are striking your XR pros "impeccably" then you shouldn't be struggling with blades. Iron striking is iron striking. You can't strike one club impeccably and all of a sudden lose 60 yards with another iron. I'm going to guess you're vastly over rating how well you believe you are striking your other irons. I'm not saying this to be mean or an attack on your game, it just doesn't add up.
Okay. You got me.

I should have said. The Callaway XR Pro's make my ball striking appear to be impeccable. Strike, after strike, the same distance, trajectory and shot shape. With excellent for my game dispersion.

It's just another example of how the modern Cavity Back irons can make a 20 handicapper feel like a Player. Even when in reality he's just a HACKER.

No worries. I know I still suck.

But I am sincerely trying any and every thing to improve my game even blades.

Okay maybe if I was truly, honestly, keeping it real.

I bought the MP5'S for the looks.

Their just that gorgeous.

Internet golf exposed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Blades Vs Cavity Back

Okay. You got me.

I should have said. The Callaway XR Pro's make my ball striking appear to be impeccable. Strike, after strike, the same distance, trajectory and shot shape. With excellent for my game dispersion.

It's just another example of how the modern Cavity Back irons can make a 20 handicapper feel like a Player. Even when in reality he's just a HACKER.

No worries. I know I still suck.

But I am sincerely trying any and every thing to improve my game even blades.

Okay maybe if I was truly, honestly, keeping it real.

I bought the MP5'S for the looks.

Their just that gorgeous.

Internet golf exposed.

I gotcha. That's more understandable. If I was getting consistent distance and shot shape out of my irons though, It would be hard to leave that haha. Fully get the lust for blades as I will forever have those same feelings, but consistency with iron play is so crucial. I can absolutely see how having those blades in the bag can make you feel good just by looking at them though

I think this debunks the miss hit loss of Yds claim with my blades...
Are you clubbing up to make up for distance losses? I do on off ball striking days to make sure I'm on the putting surface, player's iron or otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think this debunks the miss hit loss of Yds claim with my blades...
With all due respect, I think your concept of a bad strike is colored by being a low single digit. Here are some photos from the Impact Tape thread. If you think these are all going to play well with blades - as good as they will with CB or SGI clubs - then we're going to have to agree to disagree.

A solid player
fca04ccdab722f0ef0f1fe5e2415f782.jpg

Yours truly (currently 11.6) on a bad day
1e7204fa693a9faa88a0b78d28cf9200.jpg

A current 14.5
735f2ad9ba598fddefbd28958d209fe5.jpg

A 3.0
20141117_180930.jpg

A 7.0
76c788f50b840f31faa9035593ab14cb.jpg

2d3b8db6b547ff0cdb7363dd3c5e1cc6.jpg

Someone I know to be a pretty darn good stick
093299b5f3ce07bb39ac9a0d07aadc08.jpg

I'm not sure, maybe a low double digit player
11049166_1603199236576970_1691966637_n.jpg

Don't know...ask them, perhaps they are getting paid BooKoo to play what they play

Jordan Spieth, arguably the best player of the 2015 season, plays a cavity back. And 3 months ago Titelist gave him the 716 AP2's and when something was off with them he went back to his 714's. That tells me that at least some of the players, if not the majority, have total control over what they play and when they play them.

Very, but there are solid points from both sides. It's an entertaining read where no one really got out of hand. It's what I love about this place. Open honest discussion with everyone's opinion counting.

I can't tell who's on what side of what argument. All I know is I suck and am glad I have GI irons and don't want blades

now that is something I dont want in an iron.... that would suck lol

now that is something I dont want in an iron.... that would suck lol
I miss the center by a little and I get away with it? Worst day ever

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Just like Mizuno recommends blades are for 5 or below, or if your slightly above and have a powerful swing perhaps you could do ok depending on the player. Or if your a high Hcper just try and play them daily.
Because I am a low single digit player who is striking through the ball my misses are less yardage lost. Try it with a wiffle ball, then golf ball. Most, not all people on this debate / thread are higher than +5 or weekend warriors, however there are a lot of readers worldwide and I hope they can get some good info. Different clubs for different players...no one club fits all. I do believe we all get better and stronger at golf, perhaps your in between GI, cavities blades, then look for a muscle cavity another option like say...Titleist 716 CB, or look at a progressive mixed set like Cobra Fly Z's or blend your own...eg AP1 3,4...AP2 5,6,7...CB 8,9...MB PW or any other combo's that look similar to the eye
Think this thread is going full circle and readers chiming in have not read earlier pages...

It's been said probably 100 times in this thread, but what it comes down to IMO is people should play what they want. I play blades because I enjoy the look and feel. Personally for myself I don't think my scores would see much improvement if I played a GI because ball striking is not where I lose strokes. I lose strokes with bad days off the tee and short game. It was previously putting but in a year I've improved my putting greatly. When I miss with irons generally for the most part I'm not short, I'm left or right. Granted maybe 1 or 2 shots around a GI may have been a bit straighter flight and caught the edge of a green where a blade was more left or right and didn't but it's something I know will be apart of my game and I'm ok with because I love the look and feel of my irons. I personally don't really believe that a miss on a blade will hold a tighter line or any of that because I can tell you with any club in my hands if I hit a ball with a shut face it's going left, open face it's going right. Now a GI like I said might not go as far left or right but it's something I accept. I'm not playing for my lively hood like guys on tour are, I'm playing because I love the game, I love the challenge and taking on that challenge with clubs that make it more challenging is something I enjoy. In the end I don't think anyone should have to justify why they play what they play regardless of skill level. But that will never die in anything. It's no different than Silverado driver saying you shouldn't drive F150's because of better MPG or towing. If the driver of the F150 enjoys his truck so be it. Isn't this game supposed to be about enjoyment? If a 36 handicap that plays blades enjoys himself more than a 10 handicap that plays SGI's isn't the 36 handicap winning in the end?

Just like Mizuno recommends blades are for 5 or below, or if your slightly above and have a powerful swing perhaps you could do ok depending on the player. Or if your a high Hcper just try and play them daily.
Because I am a low single digit player who is striking through the ball my misses are less yardage lost. Try it with a wiffle ball, then golf ball. Most, not all people on this debate / thread are higher than +5 or weekend warriors, however there are a lot of readers worldwide and I hope they can get some good info. Different clubs for different players...no one club fits all. I do believe we all get better and stronger at golf, perhaps your in between GI, cavities blades, then look for a muscle cavity another option like say...Titleist 716 CB, or look at a progressive mixed set like Cobra Fly Z's or blend your own...eg AP1 3,4...AP2 5,6,7...CB 8,9...MB PW or any other combo's that look similar to the eye
Think this thread is going full circle and readers chiming in have not read earlier pages...
The thread was started by a 20 handicap asking about using blades. The opinion and experience of people not 5 or below seems germaine.

It's been said probably 100 times in this thread, but what it comes down to IMO is people should play what they want. I play blades because I enjoy the look and feel. Personally for myself I don't think my scores would see much improvement if I played a GI because ball striking is not where I lose strokes. I lose strokes with bad days off the tee and short game. It was previously putting but in a year I've improved my putting greatly. When I miss with irons generally for the most part I'm not short, I'm left or right. Granted maybe 1 or 2 shots around a GI may have been a bit straighter flight and caught the edge of a green where a blade was more left or right and didn't but it's something I know will be apart of my game and I'm ok with because I love the look and feel of my irons. I personally don't really believe that a miss on a blade will hold a tighter line or any of that because I can tell you with any club in my hands if I hit a ball with a shut face it's going left, open face it's going right. Now a GI like I said might not go as far left or right but it's something I accept. I'm not playing for my lively hood like guys on tour are, I'm playing because I love the game, I love the challenge and taking on that challenge with clubs that make it more challenging is something I enjoy. In the end I don't think anyone should have to justify why they play what they play regardless of skill level. But that will never die in anything. It's no different than Silverado driver saying you shouldn't drive F150's because of better MPG or towing. If the driver of the F150 enjoys his truck so be it. Isn't this game supposed to be about enjoyment? If a 36 handicap that plays blades enjoys himself more than a 10 handicap that plays SGI's isn't the 36 handicap winning in the end?
Yeah but let's not forget attire. You dress sharp as faack and that's absolutely improving your striking ability.

Yeah but let's not forget attire. You dress sharp as faack and that's absolutely improving your striking ability.
So true... at the grandaddy I learned that Kenwool underwear can fix anything!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Something interesting in here is that a high swing speed player gets more forgiveness from a blade than a slower swing speed...not sure how that makes any sense but it is what it is

I can put a good smack on the ball and have never been told by my teacher that I should play blades

Haha I appreciated that dude!!

Something interesting in here is that a high swing speed player gets more forgiveness from a blade than a slower swing speed...not sure how that makes any sense but it is what it is

I can put a good smack on the ball and have never been told by my teacher that I should play blades
But at 20 hcp my instructor nudged me towards blades and has been giving lessons while I use the MP5'S.

He has even witnessed my improvements.

So just to be clear. It wasn't all in my head.

But he also admits we are only 50% done with my swing make over.

A make over that first increased my hcp before it started to go back down.

I'm sure I'm getting better. What I can't decide is which clubs are at the root cause.

I practice with MB. And. CB.

But the feedback is superior in my hands with a blade.

Haha I appreciated that dude!!
This year was hectic but next season I'm busting my butt to make sure that I get to see that striking and attire first hand on the course sir. Definitely need to make it happen

This year was hectic but next season I'm busting my butt to make sure that I get to see that striking and attire first hand on the course sir. Definitely need to make it happen
Absolutely friend!! It will be nice to have another person to add to our little gatherings!

Really, people will continue to play what they want. I've gamed blades and player cbs for the last year and there really isn't much difference imo. Unless we're talking miura baby blades. Now those are whole another level of blades. Now compare miura cb 501 or cb 57 or cb1007 against a blade like srixon 945, then the differences are so minor it comes basically down to preference on what the player wants to look at.

Really, people will continue to play what they want. I've gamed blades and player cbs for the last year and there really isn't much difference imo. Unless we're talking miura baby blades. Now those are whole another level of blades. Now compare miura cb 501 or cb 57 or cb1007 against a blade like srixon 945, then the differences are so minor it comes basically down to preference on what the player wants to look at.

Kang no you joined the fun! Pure entertainment in this thread.

You know my stance on it lol, it will never change. Play what you want to the best of your ability and enjoy it as much as you can, no one's getting off this rock alive.

Back