At what distance do you begin to pin hunt

Probably 160, but I've been known to get greedy anywhere from within 4 iron distance (210).

I think 170 yards but I feel most confident at 100 and in

If it's a green light shot I'm going for the pin from 230 yds and in. Is it realistic to think I can hit it close from that far out? Depends on the day

Anytime I have a 6i or less in my hand I'm trying to get as close to the pin as possible

7i is the starting point for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the downside risk is manageable, I am going for the pin if I can reach the green which would be 250 and in.

To be clear, I don't expect to nail it close from 250 but I am trying and if I am greenside or in a bunker in 2 on a par 5, I don't have a problem with that. If the downside risk is water I am not pin hunting.

while I can certainly understand those with the ability to pin hunt from just about any reachable distance do attempt it, I am also finding it a tad surprising to me that so many of you do. I know you may have the confidence and the scrambling game as well which is of course in itself also a confidence booster when pin hunting, but its just that there is something to be said for hitting greens. Its no secret the more greens hit, the lower scores tend to be. Most (generally speaking) are going to score better by hitting more greens than having to scramble even if a good scrambler. Reason being is that you never know what the chip/pitch is going to be like.

There's always going to be a percentage of less than desirable and even also percentage of poor scramble situations based on where the ball (off the green) ends up. Buried lie, steep slope, a combo of that or whatever else have you. It just cant be avoided and will happen enough times imo. Of course there will also be a percentage of more difficult putts too I understand. But imo your still on the green and putting vs attempting a difficult chip/pitch scenario which could certainly be more penalizing. Just interesting to think about imo.

My 6 iron from 185 and everything after that.

while I can certainly understand those with the ability to pin hunt from just about any reachable distance do attempt it, I am also finding it a tad surprising to me that so many of you do. I know you may have the confidence and the scrambling game as well which is of course in itself also a confidence booster when pin hunting, but its just that there is something to be said for hitting greens. Its no secret the more greens hit, the lower scores tend to be. Most (generally speaking) are going to score better by hitting more greens than having to scramble even if a good scrambler. Reason being is that you never know what the chip/pitch is going to be like.

There's always going to be a percentage of less than desirable and even also percentage of poor scramble situations based on where the ball (off the green) ends up. Buried lie, steep slope, a combo of that or whatever else have you. It just cant be avoided and will happen enough times imo. Of course there will also be a percentage of more difficult putts too I understand. But imo your still on the green and putting vs attempting a difficult chip/pitch scenario which could certainly be more penalizing. Just interesting to think about imo.

Yes, but on a par 5 if you are greenside in 2 you most likely will be GIR and I suspect with a higher % than with a layup. And, of course, the upside is that you are putting for eagle.

Last month, at Neshanic Valley Ridge #5 (par 5), I was 250 out and the only risks were some greenside bunkers. No reason not to take a shot with 3W and I ended up putting for eagle from 20'. I just missed but it was a tap in birdie. That's a hole I would rather be in the bunker in 2 than lay up.

I should add that anything outside of 60 yds I'm just trying to hit the fat part of the green, unless it's an open front pin location, then I'll try to run it up.

About a 140 and in is a 7 iron for me.

Inside of 100 yards.

I probably shouldn't, but I aim for the pin just about every time.

Green hunt, 100 yards. Pin hunt, 50 or so.

Honestly, distance doesn't play a part in my decision to go for a pin or not. It's entirely about where the trouble is.

If it's a longer club (3 wood, hybrid or 4 iron) and there is trouble left and the pin is left... I aim right. No trouble left... I aim at it.

If it's a middle club (5 iron, 6 iron or 7 iron) and there is trouble right and the pin is right... I aim left. No trouble right... I aim at it.

With 8 iron or less... I'm always going at the pin.

Of course, as a 17 handicap, there is a greater chance I miss the green entirely regardless of what club I select and where I aim... but that doesn't mean that mentally, I see the ball going at the pin when the above scenarios play out.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

140 yds., 8 iron, and in.

100 and in for me,last week's was an attest to that. Had a handful within 5 feet from this distance.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

It's all about risk/reward and knowing what you can do (sometimes on any given day). On the 18th hole yesterday I had 175 yards from the rough and felt very comfortable going at the pin. The pin was more or less center of the green and only protected by bunkers left front and behind the green. Put me on the 135 yard 17th hole at the TPC Sawgrass with a pin four paces left of the right edge of the green and I'm aiming for the fat of the green.

90% of the time I'm hitting toward the middle of the green from 120+ yards. I normally hit a draw, so if the pin is on the right side of the green I rarely go for it. If its on the left side of the green I aim to the middle and depend on the draw to get it close to the pin.

I pin hunt with any iron shot, which means 205 yards or less. With longer irons I usually aim towards the center of the green and cut or draw the ball towards the flag.

Why am I not surprised that your surprised by others answers :D you always seem to be surprised when people go against how you think things should play out.

You have to know your strengths and weakness. That is part of playing golf. If people pin hint from 230 and in, they know their limitations. You're comfy at your distance and other and comfy at theirs

Why am I not surprised that your surprised by others answers :D you always seem to be surprised when people go against how you think things should play out.

You have to know your strengths and weakness. That is part of playing golf. If people pin hint from 230 and in, they know their limitations. You're comfy at your distance and other and comfy at theirs

+1

A lot depends on what one practices when at the range. When one hits longer clubs at the range, is it purely for distance or are there accuracy goals too?

I know for me, at the range, I practice hitting my driver and 3W (and all clubs, for that matter) at targets. I'll pick a target at 240 or so for my 3W and see if I can hit it, can I draw it to that target, can I fade it. So, when I am on the course (and, provided I am striking the ball well) I have some perspective on whether I can make that shot and how bad a miss do I usually have and what are the risks. If all that adds up to a green light, why not go at the pin? You can't make what you don't try. And you don't get better without pushing yourself.

When I am putting...

Honestly I am playing conservative with any full shot. Middle of the green but with a bias towards staying away from the biggest point of danger. But I have been practicing all winter on 30y and in so when I find myself there I am trying to stick it close. I am playing for par right now, legitimate looks at birdie are a bonus.

120 and in for me. Much longer and I'm happy just with a GIR.

Back