Make February Count - Practice

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
So, there's a bit of snow on the ground here, but I still got rounds in already this month (played Saturday and Sunday) and expect to play more in a week or two. Despite the colder weather, I see a light at the end of the tunnel as the warmer temperatures take over and I can get back on the course every day (if I want to).

With that in mind, I've been pushing my putting game very hard on my indoor green, working on proper gating and getting quality end over end roll not just with the head I think I'll be gaming all season, but with other putter shapes as well. Basically, I want to understand what I am doing and how I am doing it to gain the next level of confidence while on course this year. Also, I've been getting reps in during the evenings using my net/SkyTrak which has also pushed me to not get lazy with my swings. It's all about power into the ball, and this might lead to some strength training soon to make it even easier.

What are you guys doing to better your game this month? Who needs a little push?

Practice...? We're talkin about Practice? Practice... Not a round, practice

I am hitting the range in a big way this year 4 to 5 times a week, putting, full swing all of it. Ball striking is the best it has ever been because of it. I had a couple of bad holes my last round but had a good look at setting a PB and that is my mentality from now on.

I've been working hard on my full swing the last few months. I need to get my putting in order. It's terrible. I don't know where to start. Buy the eyeline mirror? I still have a few weeks before the range opens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Putting lesson Rusty? Are there any good facilities near you?

I think that's the plan. I have 7 lessons left in my package with my pro. I think I'm going to use them for short game improvement. Not sure I can do them indoors here.

I've been working hard on my full swing the last few months. I need to get my putting in order. It's terrible. I don't know where to start. Buy the eyeline mirror? I still have a few weeks before the range opens.

Skaha in Penticton is open Rusty, putting green available, People are actually golfing there now.

I was trying to hit the range once a week and golf every other week... now that I'm in club clash... that has been upped, big time... getting to the range twice a week minimum (clubs stay in trunk and stop on the way home for a large bucket....about 110 balls) and getting out on the course once a week... amazing what a live event will do to your training regimen

I think that's the plan. I have 7 lessons left in my package with my pro. I think I'm going to use them for short game improvement. Not sure I can do them indoors here.

It's so worth it. Time on the wedge game and time on the putter game. Change that, and you change the way golf plays for you. I'll say that 100 times before i'm bored, it is so ridiculously valuable to get better near the green.

I was able to get in a round last before we got hit with snow. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be back out there but until then a few rounds in the sim will keep me going. Always working on my birdie ball so that will not change

​I'm on a sim 3-4 times a week (playing rounds) but trying to fix my iron game. Had a swing coach there the last 2 times working with a + capper that I've been playing with so I've been playing attention to what he's been shown/told.

Ive been swinging in the garage into my net, Lessons resume this Saturday.
Hoping to head south in a couple weeks for a few rounds, then Florida the end of March.

I also am working with a putting aid to square away my putting stroke.

I will be hitting the ground running once golf season is here!

I really need to work on a good practice routine. I have never been a "range rat", practicing has always been one of my weak points...I get to the course and I decide to play instead of practice.

I need to learn to slow my practice down instead of just beating balls, that's one of my goals for this year.

It's so worth it. Time on the wedge game and time on the putter game. Change that, and you change the way golf plays for you. I'll say that 100 times before i'm bored, it is so ridiculously valuable to get better near the green.

I have made a pledge to work hard on my short game this year. I spend so much time hitting balls at the range that I need to do a better job splitting that time up

I don't mess with playing too much when it's cold and the Ohio courses are still destroyed from the winter (I, personally, have never found much value in it), but I've started taking some steps to knock the rust off for hopefully an early March beginning to my season in Ohio.

I've went to the range once each of the last two weekends, which is more than I've went to the range in 8 of the last 10 years.

Booked three tee times for the upcoming weeks in this indoor sim, which is more than I've booked since high school 12 years ago.

I will continue to hit the range once a weekend, either outdoors off the mats (until the grass tees open), or at the nearby golf dome indoors when the Ohio weather pops up...with the exception of one or two winters since high school, I haven't done much winter swinging at the range.

Having not played hardly at all 8 of the last 10 years means I've got some catching up to do though, so I've gotta get after it. Good reminder, Canadan.

TECplay_Header_Dublin_1024.jpg

I have made a pledge to work hard on my short game this year. I spend so much time hitting balls at the range that I need to do a better job splitting that time up

When I changed, things got a lot more enjoyable. I was grinding three hour range sessions and it really didn't feel worth it anymore. Started to cut them in half or more in favour of putting green practice, sand practice, and wedge games with AMart and that really brought an element of fun to the process. You either get better, or you lose hahaha! I refuse to lose.

Hope to hear really good things about your progress buddy! It's so fun to step up to a greenside shot and knock one tight (and not be surprised by it hahahahaha).

When I changed, things got a lot more enjoyable. I was grinding three hour range sessions and it really didn't feel worth it anymore. Started to cut them in half or more in favour of putting green practice, sand practice, and wedge games with AMart and that really brought an element of fun to the process. You either get better, or you lose hahaha! I refuse to lose.

Hope to hear really good things about your progress buddy! It's so fun to step up to a greenside shot and knock one tight (and not be surprised by it hahahahaha).

I love spend time hitting all kind of chip shots but I really struggle when it comes to spending time on the putting green. It honestly boars me to death. I have tried all kinds of little putting games and its just blah for me. The thing is I KNOW how important it is and I know that's what I need to do to improve

Silly question Dan, but how would you describe "proper gating", and what are you doing to work on it?

Silly question Dan, but how would you describe "proper gating", and what are you doing to work on it?

tiger-tee-drill.jpg

Making sure when I bring the head back to the ball in the stroke I am making contact in the center of the face. I've added some power to my stroke and shortened my previously elongated follow through which seems to help with the roll a lot. I was also coming in a bit open and grazing at the ball a bit, which was annoying me.

I have a hitting net and a chipping basket set up, but it's outdoors and with the snow on the ground it's kinda hard to get some work in. I will be hitting the par three course near me more often just to work on my #own150.

I was able to get in a round last before we got hit with snow. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be back out there but until then a few rounds in the sim will keep me going. Always working on my birdie ball so that will not change

Sims for me as well as putting and chipping in the house

I am getting my new birthday putter tonight, and then I will be working a crazy amount on putting and chipping inside to keep the short game crisp.

I am getting my new birthday putter tonight, and then I will be working a crazy amount on putting and chipping inside to keep the short game crisp.

Pics before practice session required.

Pics before practice session required.

haha pics will go up ASAP. I've had a countdown going until I get my birthday present!

A little encouragement to get out there never hurt anyone! Winter for most of the central part of the country is quite depressing for golf enthusiasts, but most have some place they can go to work on their game or even things they could do in the house. I've tried them all, none are a replacement for on course practice, but they help, I've really tried to focus on physical fitness lately, I haven't hit all my goals, but there's still time.

I love spend time hitting all kind of chip shots but I really struggle when it comes to spending time on the putting green. It honestly boars me to death. I have tried all kinds of little putting games and its just blah for me. The thing is I KNOW how important it is and I know that's what I need to do to improve

Take headphones and listen to music or podcasts, enjoy being outside in the sun/nice weather. That makes it a little less boring, but it's still not really all that fun.

Back