Foam Rollers... Ahhhh yes!

Does she recommend a certain one? or are they all pretty much the same?
I could be wrong but I believe different sizes and textures for a lack of a better word have different uses. Let me text her I'll see.

I could be wrong but I believe different sizes and textures for a lack of a better word have different uses. Let me text her I'll see.
Yeah I wouldn't know either. Haha

thanks! appreciate it

Sounds like I found something I need to check into, anyone have a good recommendation on one to use on the back?
You have a ton of variation right now, but be regular ones will work just fine. I have the standard TriggerPoint Grid roller, and it performs miracles on my back.

Yeah I wouldn't know either. Haha

thanks! appreciate it
OK so she said that if you have a specific area vs say your whole left side is tight use the small ones and the ones with bumps for more specific smaller areas. But if your whole side is tight a larger one is better.

OK so she said that if you have a specific area vs say your whole left side is tight use the small ones and the ones with bumps for more specific smaller areas. But if your whole side is tight a larger one is better.
Perfect. I'll look into a smaller one then since I want to target my lower back primarily.

Sounds like I found something I need to check into, anyone have a good recommendation on one to use on the back?

You can literally also just start at the top of your back and roll down. The key is to go slow

I use a 3/1 type system. Roll slow for 3 inches down and then back up for 1 inch, then 3 inches down and up for 1 until I go all the way down

Perfect. I'll look into a smaller one then since I want to target my lower back primarily.
She did say the nubby ones work well for a deeper massage but they don't feel well at first lol

Another ball roller here, tennis ball, baseball, softball, etc.

Also check our Dr. Kelly Starrett on YouTube, he's a fitness/crossfit guru but has great information on stretching and working out the bumps and bruises esp. for the lower back area.

I've been lucky enough to not have issues with my back. With that said, I'll keep this in the back of my mind as a go to if something ever gets out of place.

Glad it worked out for you dhart!

I use foam rolling when I am doing serious distance money. It works great - I just hate taking the time to do it correctly.

I've been hurting in my right hip area for over 2 months now. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. My chiropractor didn't have any advice really except that I needed to stretch. That didn't help and it was pretty painful. Well tonight I decided to roll out on my foam roller in the dark since my wife is sleeping. I was rolling out my glutes and hamstrings and went to turn over to work on my quads I slipped and I hit my right hip on the roller. Omg was that sore....so what did I do? I rolled out that area and the pain sucked rocks. But 5 minutes later it was like everything was fixed. A fricken miracle by accident. Why didn't I think of it before?! I'll thank my wife in the morning. More work will be done with that roller from now on!! Awesome.

Anyone else out there use them? Any unique exercises or things I should know about?

I bought a new one 2 weeks ago and have been focusing on the IT band (outside of thigh), hip flexors, calves and upper back.

Ours has the ridges, which can be pretty painful. After 5-10 minutes, I almost want to take a nap. It seems to be more exhausting then it should be. But, they really work out the knots/kinks/bumps/crunchies/etc.

I swear by a foam roller. I even took it with me to Legacy and used it in the morning. You can find all kinds of ways to roll on youtube and when you need deeper go to PVC. If it is a small spot use a baseball or field hockey ball. I use mine every morning on my back, neck, hamstrings, and IT band.

Oh and if you want to add ridges to yours you can do so with rolling tape up around it. You can find diy through google.

Perfect, I was just asking about these the other day! There's a few on Amazon ive been looking at. Definitely need to get one

Foam rollers are legit and can definitely help get the knots out. Another good option to check out is 'the stick'.

Also have the stick. That is one step above torture, but man does it work great on your legs

Also have the stick. That is one step above torture, but man does it work great on your legs
I'm gonna have to look into that. I torture myself with golf sticks.... May as well do it with another stick that actually does good on my body :)

I'm gonna have to look into that. I torture myself with golf sticks.... May as well do it with another stick that actually does good on my body :)

You know how the foam roller has just a little bit of forgiveness when you sink into it? Yeah, there's no forgiveness in this.

fcb7d4b1b30b28b0b893ee0005e41c85.jpg

I've been hurting in my right hip area for over 2 months now. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. My chiropractor didn't have any advice really except that I needed to stretch. That didn't help and it was pretty painful. Well tonight I decided to roll out on my foam roller in the dark since my wife is sleeping. I was rolling out my glutes and hamstrings and went to turn over to work on my quads I slipped and I hit my right hip on the roller. Omg was that sore....so what did I do? I rolled out that area and the pain sucked rocks. But 5 minutes later it was like everything was fixed. A fricken miracle by accident. Why didn't I think of it before?! I'll thank my wife in the morning. More work will be done with that roller from now on!! Awesome.

Anyone else out there use them? Any unique exercises or things I should know about?

Through hip surgery I have discovered my y2 band. It's a long piece of connective tissue between the hip and knee on the side of the quad. When I started roll'n with my ridged hard foam roller I would sweat from the pain. But over weeks I broke it and and the pain it's as bad. Best thing I have done for my hip out side of surgery.

You know how the foam roller has just a little bit of forgiveness when you sink into it? Yeah, there's no forgiveness in this.

fcb7d4b1b30b28b0b893ee0005e41c85.jpg
That looks medieval...

I have been using foam rollers for a few years - I actually wore out a foam roller, moved up to a roller with a plastic tube - much firmer, more painful, but lasts longer and is easier to travel with (I fill the hole with tee shirts and socks).
I also have used lacrosse balls - Duct taped two together, gets me into those deep spots where the roller just cannot get to.

As others have said, hurts like hell in the beginning, but oh it feels so good after you are done!!

I use my roller and the ball in private ... when I use the roller I look/sound like beached whale trying to get back into the water ... it isn't pretty.

When I use it on my back I swear every vertebrae pops ... I use the ball for the should blade area.

Back