Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Let's put it this way - I'm almost positive I can demo the C200s at Joe and Leighs, which is the brick and mortar of 3Balls Golf, which is about 45 mins from me. I can also most likely hit them at the Golfer's Warehouse in RI, which is 45 mins in the other direction. Having them in Golfsmith, however, a huge national chain, would do wonders for the W/S brand and image a lot of golfers have about them, right or wrong. Also, selfishly, I have a bunch of GS gift cards :D But the point is that we've talked about distribution of W/S sticks going all the way back to the Di11s and no matter how much the chains might tweet about them, if they're not in the stores, it's a problem. I don't want to derail the review with this type of discussion, but by the same token, if they're not in stores for others to hit and review and put up against their current irons...

Nope, no need to apologize at all!!! Your thoughts on the info available are completely 100% valid, and thank you for sharing them.

In hindsight, I wonder if Wilson's keeping these irons as part of their overall website and not a dedicated W/S site/brand are what's led to them not going as in-depth on info as a lot of the other golf-centric OEMs. Just a thought.

I totally agree with everything that is said on here. I like the clubs, fitting would be a must, along with availability. I live about 2 hours away from my fitter, but I don't know if he has a cart for fitting. If some of the testers here have a connection to the R&D guy at Wilson, maybe a concerned phone call would help regarding some of our concerns.

I have a favor to ask anyone who is gaming these clubs. Could someone please take a measurement of the sole width lets say 5-7-9 irons? This would help me a lot in comparing them to my AP1.

Thanks!!!

I have a favor to ask anyone who is gaming these clubs. Could someone please take a measurement of the sole width lets say 5-7-9 irons? This would help me a lot in comparing them to my AP1.

Thanks!!!

I'll do that. I'll try to get some offset measurements also.

ETA:

Okay, these most certainly aren't gospel and shouldn't be treated as such, but they should get you in the ballpark:

Sole widths are widest to toe side of center and a few measurements averaged out to 0.95".

Offsets I measured from the most forward point of the leading edge to a flat surface, and moved them to the nearest "logical" measurement, i.e. 0.243 would be likely be 0.250:

5i: 0.175"
7i: 0.125"
9i: 0.0875"

Keep in mind these are only as accurate as my clamping and hand pressure on the caliper. I did each a few times as a sanity check, but they're still little better than SWAG quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So today i had probably my best stretch of golf with these irons on the back 9 today. Found myself hitting lots of 7 irons whether as a layup or at a green and it was money for me. Ball just shoots up in the air and quickly. Tempo for me is big as my only miss with it was late and i tried to step on 1 and i didnt even have to but still managed to get near the green thanks to the forgiveness.

Oh and this may be my favorite set AW ever. Thing is stupid easy to hit

Referencing twitter I'm not sure I agree that they have been killing it. Twitter is an aggregator of sorts for me. I use it for one stop shopping for news, updates, etc... Again, for me they need to put links in the twitter posts concerning the subject matter. Instead they just say something like, "counter balanced technology in the #infinite putter adds weight in the head and grip". The pictures are nice though... I just went back and scrolled through recent posts by them and they don't do links. If they did that it would point readers to the web site where they then further expound on the merits of whatever was the point of their post in the first place. The companies that are using social media more correctly are blogging and linking the content, etc... As for the web site I like it as much as any other club manufacturer, which is to say it's OK, but not great.

The good news is that you can find first hand knowledge right here by guys that have been playing the clubs for months. Or you can take it a step further, and jump into the THP Event with Wilson later this year and meet the team that built these, talk to them about your thoughts and here why they do the things differently.

Of course also have a chance to grab some equipment, play some fun golf and meet some THPers.

So today i had probably my best stretch of golf with these irons on the back 9 today. Found myself hitting lots of 7 irons whether as a layup or at a green and it was money for me. Ball just shoots up in the air and quickly. Tempo for me is big as my only miss with it was late and i tried to step on 1 and i didnt even have to but still managed to get near the green thanks to the forgiveness.

You're making the C200s sound pretty darn good, Mike.

True testament right there. My interest has peaked up again.

Versatile too. From full swings to short pitches you can do it all with the set gap wedge.

I even used it to get out of a bunker when I brought it instead of a sand wedge.

I'll do that. I'll try to get some offset measurements also.

ETA:

Okay, these most certainly aren't gospel and shouldn't be treated as such, but they should get you in the ballpark:

Sole widths are widest to toe side of center and a few measurements averaged out to 0.95".

Offsets I measured from the most forward point of the leading edge to a flat surface, and moved them to the nearest "logical" measurement, i.e. 0.243 would be likely be 0.250:

5i: 0.175"
7i: 0.125"
9i: 0.0875"

Keep in mind these are only as accurate as my clamping and hand pressure on the caliper. I did each a few times as a sanity check, but they're still little better than SWAG quality.

These are very similar to my AP1 except on the sole width, the AP1 are progressive meaning the are wider at the toe and taper down as you get close to the hostel. I REALLY appreciated you taking time to do this. I will see if my fitter has a Wilson cart for fitting, if not, might take a gamble and just buy a single club with my current specs. The only remaining question is if I want graphite or KBS?

These are very similar to my AP1 except on the sole width, the AP1 are progressive meaning the are wider at the toe and taper down as you get close to the hostel. I REALLY appreciated you taking time to do this. I will see if my fitter has a Wilson cart for fitting, if not, might take a gamble and just buy a single club with my current specs. The only remaining question is if I want graphite or KBS?

These soles do the same, they are 0.725" at the hosel/face transition, from a quick measurement.

They also have several true temper offerings, if I remember correctly.

With these irons in the bag next to mine all day, I decided that I should hit them. And, so, I did.

I know some people have talked about looking down on them and having the inserts be noticeable and bothersome and all that, but lets be honest, I put this club behind the ball, focus on my shot and swing my swing. I didnt have time to sit there and think about if the club had insert going on or not.

The large face of these frame the ball well at address, and the bigger topline is really not noticeable at all when getting ready for a shot. With the graphite shafts 441 had in these, they had a bit of head heft to them, but all that was not noticeable during the swing.

What I noticed was that these got the ball in the air fast, they were very accurate, and holy crap did I smack the ball around with them. Without a doubt, my best iron shots of the day came with these. Really surprised at the height I got with these on my shots, typically struggling with lower ball flight, that did not seem to be an issue with these. As far as forgiveness goes, there has to be a ton, because I dont think I even noticed if I was off of center of the face or not?

Two shots come to mind with these;

I think it was Hole 14? Par 5, I was sitting about 235 out or so, so I figured I would lay up and give myself a wedge in to the green (because my wedge game is so hot right now). I asked 441 to give me the distance to the "Carts >>>" sign in the fairway and he told me "176 yards". Sweet, I'll play a 7i (typically 165). I smoked it, and literally was sitting right next to the sign I asked for a number off. 1. That's a long 7i for me. 2. The little sign in the fairway was my aim spot, and I put it right on the money." Long and accurate. I'll take it.

#18, Par 4, about 160 to the pin. Smooth swing on an 8i in the rain and flush it. High, long and drop it dead in to the green, pin high about 10 yards to the left. Ball landed and stuck and spun back a touch. The 8i C200 did exactly what I wanted it to do, and was just effortless to swing and control.

High launching. Accurate. Smooth. And, the perfect word for these is "controllable." Each swing I took with these, just seemed like the ball was going to do exactly what I needed it to.

These were fun to hit. A SOLID offering from W/S.
You quickly mentioned the feel of the graphite, if you were to buy these would you get the graphite? I've been pondering if I should try graphite in irons since I have always played steel. I could see this being a great opportunity to try some really nice graphite iron shafts.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Good to hear, man! So, you like these better than your Z545s? How much of that is shaft-related? Any way to tell? I'm more psyched than ever to give these a go now! (especially after hitting your Z545s & noting how much longer & straighter they were than my current clubs)

With these irons in the bag next to mine all day, I decided that I should hit them. And, so, I did.

I know some people have talked about looking down on them and having the inserts be noticeable and bothersome and all that, but lets be honest, I put this club behind the ball, focus on my shot and swing my swing. I didnt have time to sit there and think about if the club had insert going on or not.

The large face of these frame the ball well at address, and the bigger topline is really not noticeable at all when getting ready for a shot. With the graphite shafts 441 had in these, they had a bit of head heft to them, but all that was not noticeable during the swing.

What I noticed was that these got the ball in the air fast, they were very accurate, and holy crap did I smack the ball around with them. Without a doubt, my best iron shots of the day came with these. Really surprised at the height I got with these on my shots, typically struggling with lower ball flight, that did not seem to be an issue with these. As far as forgiveness goes, there has to be a ton, because I dont think I even noticed if I was off of center of the face or not?

Two shots come to mind with these;

I think it was Hole 14? Par 5, I was sitting about 235 out or so, so I figured I would lay up and give myself a wedge in to the green (because my wedge game is so hot right now). I asked 441 to give me the distance to the "Carts >>>" sign in the fairway and he told me "176 yards". Sweet, I'll play a 7i (typically 165). I smoked it, and literally was sitting right next to the sign I asked for a number off. 1. That's a long 7i for me. 2. The little sign in the fairway was my aim spot, and I put it right on the money." Long and accurate. I'll take it.

#18, Par 4, about 160 to the pin. Smooth swing on an 8i in the rain and flush it. High, long and drop it dead in to the green, pin high about 10 yards to the left. Ball landed and stuck and spun back a touch. The 8i C200 did exactly what I wanted it to do, and was just effortless to swing and control.

High launching. Accurate. Smooth. And, the perfect word for these is "controllable." Each swing I took with these, just seemed like the ball was going to do exactly what I needed it to.

These were fun to hit. A SOLID offering from W/S.

Did the TRAJ seem too high?

Love reading this stuff. Thanks.

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that your good reviews in this thread inspired me to:
a) sign up for an account on THP (long time lurker); and
b) buy a set of Wilson C200s! (fantastic clubs btw - like them better than my Miuras pp9003 + Recoils)

Quick question guys for those of you who have a set already - is your gap wedge labelled "S" ? Reason I ask is I just picked up a set here in Australia, and the only club they have after PW is the S wedge - but I saw that you guys have been referring to a gap wedge - so does that mean I'm missing a club between PW and S?

Notably, the "S" Wedge does not have the sockets that the rest of the clubs have. Keen to understand whether the S wedge I picked up is the same as the Gap wedge you guys have referred to.

Cheers!

Welcome to THP! I don't have an answer for you, but someone should. Keep posting & let us know how these play for you.

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that your good reviews in this thread inspired me to:
a) sign up for an account on THP (long time lurker); and
b) buy a set of Wilson C200s! (fantastic clubs btw - like them better than my Miuras pp9003 + Recoils)

Quick question guys for those of you who have a set already - is your gap wedge labelled "S" ? Reason I ask is I just picked up a set here in Australia, and the only club they have after PW is the S wedge - but I saw that you guys have been referring to a gap wedge - so does that mean I'm missing a club between PW and S?

Notably, the "S" Wedge does not have the sockets that the rest of the clubs have. Keen to understand whether the S wedge I picked up is the same as the Gap wedge you guys have referred to.

Cheers!

The gap wedge is labeled with a G and does have the power holes. Looking at Wilson Staff AU website, seems they have a different makeup of 5-PW. I am not sure what you have then for the S wedge.

Thanks guys.

I've done some more research and it seems that the US market C200's ship with a gap wedge, and the Aus and UK sets ship 4-PW + S wedge (with no gap wedge). I got 5-PW + S wedge, unfortunately I can't find any specs on this S wedge - so perhaps this is one area where Wilson would have done a better job if they could have disclosed the individual specs of each club on their website!

From a performance perspective - the S wedge is wonderfully easy to hit - I can shape draws, fades and hit full shots with it up to about 100 yards, and this is from a mid-high handicapper who usually chunks the hell out of my higher lofted wedges when I go for full shots.

The only issue now is I think I must have a pretty big yardage gap between the PW and the S wedge? (Not knowing what the loft of the S wedge is doesn't help!) And I have no idea how to get a gap wedge because Australian Wilson retailers don't seem to have it in stock!

The gap wedge is labeled with a G and does have the power holes. Looking at Wilson Staff AU website, seems they have a different makeup of 5-PW. I am not sure what you have then for the S wedge.

I suspect it is a set sand wedge. I vaguely recall mention of it during our visit and that it didn't have the power holes since the loft was so great it essentially negated any of the benefits.

Also, I would think repeated exposure to sand would be tough on the urethane inserts.

Trying to gauge a response of those who are gaming these if they have it in steel or graphite. With the lack of shops having these in my area, I'm going to take a gamble and order a 7 iron with my old specs. I know that the KBS specs are similar to the XP95 shaft but I don't know squat about the Rogue Pro graphite. Nothing on either site Wilson or Aldila, so I hate to go into this "totally" blind. Would like to hear some input on those who have the graphite shaft, or maybe just to be on the safe side, just order the KBS. ???

Trying to gauge a response of those who are gaming these if they have it in steel or graphite. With the lack of shops having these in my area, I'm going to take a gamble and order a 7 iron with my old specs. I know that the KBS specs are similar to the XP95 shaft but I don't know squat about the Rogue Pro graphite. Nothing on either site Wilson or Aldila, so I hate to go into this "totally" blind. Would like to hear some input on those who have the graphite shaft, or maybe just to be on the safe side, just order the KBS. ???

I have them in graphite. I had a hard time with graphite and have in the past. I went with graphite because the last time I had graphite, my game was at a completely different level so I thought I'd take the fitters suggestion and give it a go. I have a hard time with feeling the club plane with graphite and then tend to over swing. My timing and tempo gets a little more unpredictable with graphite shafts.

However, with these irons already going high, add in the graphite and they are going higher. So if your a fan of very high launch and trajectory then I'd say give the graphites a go.

I have them in graphite. I had a hard time with graphite and have in the past. I went with graphite because the last time I had graphite, my game was at a completely different level so I thought I'd take the fitters suggestion and give it a go. I have a hard time with feeling the club plane with graphite and then tend to over swing. My timing and tempo gets a little more unpredictable with graphite shafts.

However, with these irons already going high, add in the graphite and they are going higher. So if your a fan of very high launch and trajectory then I'd say give the graphites a go.

You still noodling a switch to steel?

You still noodling a switch to steel?

Eh I would have liked to but I don't think I'm going to.

Did the TRAJ seem too high?

Love reading this stuff. Thanks.

I'll speak for him, I would say know and would probably be in line with a few other iron sets ive seen him, but he commented on how great the felt when he caught them flush and also how quick it got in the air, absolutely loved the shafts

I love the graphite shafts, and I think the move to this shaft is one of the best things to happen to my game. If you're remotely a low ball hitter, I'd give the graphite a spin.

I love the graphite shafts, and I think the move to this shaft is one of the best things to happen to my game. If you're remotely a low ball hitter, I'd give the graphite a spin.

Every time you post in this thread, it makes me more excited for these irons. I've never tried graphite in an iron, but hearing this puts me in ponder mode.

Back